Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm thinking about taking a gap year next year (07-08) when I finish college- I'll be on the 20-21 age boundary!- but only if I can plan something for it, otherwise I'll just end up wandering over hill and dale aimlessly. So any suggestions? Some requirements:

I want to really stay in the UK, or not go any further than local european countries. I'm completely free, with no strings. I have no (or little) money, so I need to be paid at least a basic bed and board cost, but I can live on very little . I would like to do either environmental work, social (community) work or something related in some way to the arts. I'd like to be outdoors- at least during the summer!

I don't even know where to start with different organisations- has anyone had any great experiences? Anything adventurous out there? Any suggestions?

Cheers!!

(oh, if its any help, I've got loads of unusual work experience, and I want to be a journalist)

ReputationRep:
    Can you speak any fluent foreign languages? If so, you could apply to a newspaper in Europe, that would get you plenty of work experience for your future career!

I'm not sure where you would start to look for environmental work experience, but you could always try on google or ask your careers people at college. Community work can tie in with the outdoors and environmental, you could do loads of things, like save the animal projects (sanctuaries of various kinds. You could try going into a PDSA vets and see what they can recommend).

ReputationRep:
    If you want something that provides bed and board, apply to work in a hotel somewhere, preferably a posh one. They often provide workers with accomodation and some meals, and the pay may be crap, but would be an experience!

ReputationRep:
    If you indeed want a career in journalism then it is but very important that you stick to the line in your gap career as it would contribute very majorly everywhere, be it the kinda college u get for a degree or a job, as even so a question might be asked about your whereabouts in the gap year it should never sound disappointing. Working with a newspaper however might give u exclusive relevant experience but practically, this might be difficult to get and also the pay would not be that great. And working in a hotel will be very grilling but then as you won't like the job so much u won't wanna and it will keep you mentally set in your goals. You could try that or preferably try and look for a fund raising job, it pays well partially comes within volunteering , and gives valuable work experience which is considered high by the universities and also for a career like journalism would give u a great deal of interactions with the public. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you're religious at all, but I know a couple of people who've spent gap years working for Christian organisations in the UK.

You could also think about a bit of time working abroad, say for the ski season. Or you could maybe look at fruit-picking jobs in the UK for the summer. I'm sure there's loads of voluntary work you could do, but that won't help if you need to be earning!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm thinking of applying to PGL (residential activities holidays for kids) cos it looks interesting and different.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you can travel somewhere in Europe. If you go to this website: www.globalfreeloaders.com you can get free accommodation by staying at someones house who has a spare room. And if you are sceptical about the whole free accommodation thing, the Guardian tried it out and recommended it. http://travel.guardian.co.uk/solo/st...015007,00.html

ReputationRep:
    i'm seriously considering signing up to globalfreeloaders, are you a member yourself digitalparadox?

ReputationRep:
    Will check it out. Cheers peeps...

ReputationRep:
    in winter work in a chalet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katt_47)
    i'm seriously considering signing up to globalfreeloaders, are you a member yourself digitalparadox?
    Do it. I managed to nab a bed in Belgrade for a couple of nights, and it was great - I cooked English breakfasts in return for a clean and free place to crash and a couple of ready made friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    Maybe you can travel somewhere in Europe. If you go to this website: www.globalfreeloaders.com you can get free accommodation by staying at someones house who has a spare room. And if you are sceptical about the whole free accommodation thing, the Guardian tried it out and recommended it. http://travel.guardian.co.uk/solo/st...015007,00.html
    only thing is, you wouldnt want to go alone to one of these places, coz you could end up staying with a serial killer :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess a boyfriend to take would be a good idea... Or get some self-defence classes first! Some of the posters there sound creepy, but some sound okay, and I'm sure if I stayed with a girl it would be ok... my parents may not approve :rolleyes:

(Original post by supernova2)
    in winter work in a chalet!
    Sounds good, where though?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.