weirdnessandcoffee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got told that a D grade was a pass in GCSE Additional Science by someone.
So, does that mean its equivalent to how a C's considered a pass in other subjects?

Just wondering because I'm thinking about applying to Brunel University for law and got 4A*s, 3 As, 2 C's, 1 B and 1 D in my GCSE's.
(Of course, provided I meet A-level requirements)
tohaaaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can, re-take and try to get a C or above. as with the grades you have (which look impressive) a D just looks nasty.
Hummi_C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is, but it's not a very good pass: generally you're ranked on A*-C grades, so I would recommend resitting the exam (if not, then don't worry as it is still a pass :')
KayleighG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was told that D is a fail.
weirdnessandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by tohaaaa)
If you can, re-take and try to get a C or above. as with the grades you have (which look impressive) a D just looks nasty.
Ergh.......the issue is that I've kinda missed the deadline for retakes because it's the last of that spec to go through.
I was 2 marks off a C...do you think it will effect my chances?
HemalLeFail
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A*-C at GCSE is equivalent to a Level 2 Qualification. D-G is equivalent to a Level 1 Qualification. So taking that into account, yes your D is a pass however it will not aid in your application in to Level 3 Qualifications such as, A-Levels and their "equivalents".
Usually Universities only ask for you to have 5 A*'s to C's at GCSE including, English Language and Maths.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
So, does that mean its equivalent to how a C's considered a pass in other subjects?
A D in science is a pass just like a D in English or a D in maths is a pass at a modest level of achievement. There is nothing special about Additional Science that makes a D grade equivalent to a C in something else.
gaffer dean
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Just wondering because I'm thinking about applying to Brunel University for law and got 4A*s, 3 As, 2 C's, 1 B and 1 D in my GCSE's.
D is a pass yes, but not a "good" pass,
here's a link for the entry requirements for law at brunel: http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/M103
click "entry criteria"

They want 5 gcse's at grade c or above including maths and english,
i don't think you should resit that D in science as you meet their gcse requirements,
so don't worry about it.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a pass in the sense that any grade from A* to G is regarded as a pass, with ungraded being the fail below grade G, but in terms of university and job requirements, C is the 'pass' mark and the one used to compile government statistics about school pass rates etc. The 'C or above' definition of a pass doesn't vary, whatever the subject.
tohaaaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ergh.......the issue is that I've kinda missed the deadline for retakes because it's the last of that spec to go through.
I was 2 marks off a C...do you think it will effect my chances?
THERE IS the option of re-taking it at college
(As some colleges offer this)
amyrew
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

yes it is a pass, but almost every decent university course or job requires a C grade or higher in English, Maths and Science.
qgujxj39
Report 6 years ago
Anything from A*-G is a pass. However, C or above is traditionally called a "pass" or a "good pass", whereas D or below is often called a "fail", even though this isn't technically correct.
my fifty
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is technically a pass but it's not a higher grade..
lou_100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow. Today is the day I learned a C was not the lowest pass grade at GCSE. Genuinely baffled. We always had it drilled into us that D and below was a fail.

Now I know they didn't mean a literal fail, but basically a "failure" in my school's eyes.

In reality, I now realise that D and below is sometimes loosely referred to as a "fail" when in actual fact it is not. As others say, a C must be the minimum "good pass" or "pass that counts". Most universities will ask for some specific subjects (mostly Maths and English) at minimum C or even B/A nowadays.
jowarren
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi could you tell me if a grade f means fail
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jowarren)
hi could you tell me if a grade f means fail
As Carnationlilyrose said above, it's technically a pass in the sense that it's not a U, but generally a pass is considered above a C grade, and you won't really find any courses that will accept F grades in the entry requirements.

In future please could you start new threads rather than resurrecting really old ones, this thread was made nearly four years ago!
Beth4373
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It doesn't look that good but if you are not considering to take it for an A-level subject I don't really think it matters. Plus you usually you only need 5 GCSE's and 3 A-levels for most jobs, universities ect. and you have 4A*s and 3A's I don't think it really matters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate