Cumbria Institute of Arts. Watch

mattyboi2k8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey,

I am wanting to go here in 2007.
Just basically wondered if anyone knew/ heard anything about it?

What it is like etc?

Thanks
dreamheavy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi there, my best friend is going to Cumbria in September to study media production. Apparently, Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python & Twelve Monkeys fame) is a resident lecturer or a resident-something-or-other for the media production course so I am extremely jealous :p:

I've been down a couple of times for open days as I applied there as well but in the end I decided to choose the more academic route and go to Glasgow University.

The college (institution? university?) is really quite small, only about 30-40 people in your year. From what I saw, it's very modern and I am told that it has very good state-of-the-art technical equipment
The students seem to do fairly well - or at least, when I went for a tour they boasted about the amount of students who recieved awards from the National Television Society or suchlike :p:

& Carlisle itself seemed like quite a nice wee town, although I think i'd prefer to live somewhere a bit bigger & bustling.
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
I've been down a couple of times for open days as I applied there as well but in the end I decided to choose the more academic route and go to Glasgow University.

Is it not an academic university then?
Surely Journalism is academic?
teenage-monkey
Report 13 years ago
I was going to apply there, but it was too far away. It's supposed to be good.
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
was going to apply there, but it was too far away
That's one thing that appeals to me, I live in Southampton currently
dreamheavy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kacas)
Is it not an academic university then?
Surely Journalism is academic?
Oh, I didn't mean to be derogatory or anything by saying that. I just meant that it's more of a creative institution compared to the likes of Glasgow Uni which is more traditionally "academic"......
Eh, I don't really know how to say what I mean.

I don't know if i'd call journalism academic - and again, that sounds derogatory but I really don't mean it to be. I'd consider subjects like english literature & politics & history to fall more into the "academic" category whereas journalism is more creative and practical, in my mind

Or something.
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
Fair play, I would love to get into this institute.
They only have 15 people on the course each year.
dreamheavy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
15 people? Wow.
There must be stiff competition for places.

They gave me a conditional offer under the condition that I get my HNC in media, despite already having three Highers (roughly equivalent to your A Levels) at A grade. The other uni's I applied to, the more "academic" ones (and generally regarded as more prestigious although I am aware this is making me sound like a snob) like Glasgow Uni & Stirling Uni gave me unconditonal offers.
I gather competition must be fierce

My friend was asked to go down for an interview and bring with him a portfolio of his work.
teenage-monkey
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kacas)
That's one thing that appeals to me, I live in Southampton currently
Yeah, it does to me too! But, I don't want to be travelling in the car for hours on end. I'm still worried about going to Anglia Ruskin, Cambridge is fairly near to Surrey! I wanted to go more Midlands.
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
Oh ok, but it is near Scotland and I love Scotland aswell.
Also have uncle and aunty who live in Cumbria.
gazter
Report 13 years ago
worth reading these comments. I live in Carlisle, it is a pleasant town, and a cheap place to live, but some people are not happy with the CIfA

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/unknown...aspx?id=284425

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/vi...aspx?id=286609
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
Thanks for that.......nothing said about the Journalism course.
mattyboi2k8
Rep:
?
Hi,

Could anyone tell me the differences between a univeristy and an institue please??
Is it a purely financial thing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
13.13%
1 (89)
12.84%
2 (89)
12.84%
19.05%
22.37%
19.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise