Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am wanting to go here in 2007.
    Just basically wondered if anyone knew/ heard anything about it?

What it is like etc?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my best friend is going to Cumbria in September to study media production. Apparently, Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python & Twelve Monkeys fame) is a resident lecturer or a resident-something-or-other for the media production course so I am extremely jealous :p:

I've been down a couple of times for open days as I applied there as well but in the end I decided to choose the more academic route and go to Glasgow University.

The college (institution? university?) is really quite small, only about 30-40 people in your year. From what I saw, it's very modern and I am told that it has very good state-of-the-art technical equipment
    The students seem to do fairly well - or at least, when I went for a tour they boasted about the amount of students who recieved awards from the National Television Society or suchlike :p:

& Carlisle itself seemed like quite a nice wee town, although I think i'd prefer to live somewhere a bit bigger & bustling.

ReputationRep:
    I've been down a couple of times for open days as I applied there as well but in the end I decided to choose the more academic route and go to Glasgow University.

Is it not an academic university then?
    Surely Journalism is academic?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply there, but it was too far away. It's supposed to be good.

ReputationRep:
    was going to apply there, but it was too far away
    That's one thing that appeals to me, I live in Southampton currently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kacas)
    Is it not an academic university then?
    Surely Journalism is academic?
    Oh, I didn't mean to be derogatory or anything by saying that. I just meant that it's more of a creative institution compared to the likes of Glasgow Uni which is more traditionally "academic"......
    Eh, I don't really know how to say what I mean.

I don't know if i'd call journalism academic - and again, that sounds derogatory but I really don't mean it to be. I'd consider subjects like english literature & politics & history to fall more into the "academic" category whereas journalism is more creative and practical, in my mind

Or something.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play, I would love to get into this institute.
    They only have 15 people on the course each year.

ReputationRep:
    15 people? Wow.
    There must be stiff competition for places.

They gave me a conditional offer under the condition that I get my HNC in media, despite already having three Highers (roughly equivalent to your A Levels) at A grade. The other uni's I applied to, the more "academic" ones (and generally regarded as more prestigious although I am aware this is making me sound like a snob) like Glasgow Uni & Stirling Uni gave me unconditonal offers.
    I gather competition must be fierce

My friend was asked to go down for an interview and bring with him a portfolio of his work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kacas)
    That's one thing that appeals to me, I live in Southampton currently
    Yeah, it does to me too! But, I don't want to be travelling in the car for hours on end. I'm still worried about going to Anglia Ruskin, Cambridge is fairly near to Surrey! I wanted to go more Midlands.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, but it is near Scotland and I love Scotland aswell.
    Also have uncle and aunty who live in Cumbria.

ReputationRep:
    worth reading these comments. I live in Carlisle, it is a pleasant town, and a cheap place to live, but some people are not happy with the CIfA

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/unknown...aspx?id=284425

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/vi...aspx?id=286609

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that.......nothing said about the Journalism course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me the differences between a univeristy and an institue please??
    Is it a purely financial thing?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.