The Student Room Group

Gap year for an Art Student

I've failed to get into the uni I wanted, and am now considering taking a gap year. The difference is, unlike students who study academic subjects, I think I actually need to do some work/take some sort of course to improve my fashion portfolio in order to get a place next year, so I can't go off travelling. The interviewers will be asking what I spent a year doing (especially since I've already taken this year out to do an art foundation course). And if I don't travel, I will need to stay in the UK and work whilst taking some sort of short course. But these cost on average a whopping £300 for 5 days! Are there any art gap year students? Or any art students thinking of taking a gap year?
Reply 1
Fashion design companies?

Fashion journalism with a newspaper or magazine?
You want art??? Go to Italy... I'm taking an art history course and almost the entire thing is devoted to Italian art... also isn't Milan like the fashion captial of the world?

queenofdiamonds :elefant:
Reply 3
look into internships, but most are unpaid (******* exploiting dickheads) but really thats if your wealthy and your parants can help you. if not then really i think maybe work in retail (i know the best thing)......use the year to improve your portfolio and maybe attend fashions shows like london fashion week or birmingham clothe show or any private viewings or events you could get into. go and ask your foundation tutor advice on what to do, they probably had loads of students like you in the past, unsure what to do in thier gap year.

im sort of in the same positions as you, im thinking of a gap too but erm being from a poorer background, it seems a lil too complicated, having to constantly worry about whats going to happen and what is the best thing for me. i looked into internships and i dont like the way is set out. its just unfair. well good luck to you, hope it goes well and you know what? really a gap year is to spend time on what you want to do.
Reply 4
maybe check out citylit.ac.uk they do evening courses and portfolio sessions that are quite cheap for the quality of what they offer. but obviously its in london so if you dont live near by maybe not, but there should be other options like this.
generally just get experience, shows/making more/adding to your portfolio throuout the year. just add everything you do then sort it out at the end.

Latest