Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering how many here did it and what you thought of it..

-what was your product?
    -how many were in your company?
    -what was it called?
    -how far did you get in the comp?
    -what did you think of the overall experience?

ill start..

-informational CD-ROM about the South Lakes aimed at tourists
    -8 of us
    - Reflections
    - 2nd round
    - amazing.. although our AS results probably suffered as a result of us becomig obsessive about it. was very rewarding though seeing 'real' people buying your product...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    just wondering how many here did it and what you thought of it..

-what was your product?
    -what was it called?

ill start..

-informational CD-ROM about the South Lakes aimed at tourists
    -8 of us
    - Reflections
    - 2nd round
    - amazing.. although our AS results probably suffered as a result of us becomig obsessive about it. was very rewarding though seeing 'real' people buying your product...
    - A bottle opener made out of bolt type things ( was really quite good!)
    - Masquerade
    -We won our region and inter regional. Got thru to national comp but no further
    - OK - it was just the people in our company, the labelling theory really works, call someone a MD and they get power mad and you dont recognise them. We had this period of time where everyone was giving each other guilt trips about who was doing most work, not nice. It does take up a REDICULOUS amount of time, and if i had my time again would not do it.

Are you allowed to sell food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Are you allowed to sell food?
    Im sure there was some rule that you couldnt, i think you would get sued to death if you poisoned somebody!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Our company was called Cobweb. We had all sorts of great ideas in the early meetings, but settled on some dull products which we thought we could make a killing on, and we were proved right.

First we did Xmas cards... nice safe money spinner but a mere distraction from what made us our small fortunes.

Our main product was personalised clothing. We sold hoodies, tee shirts, boxers, thongs etc with personal messages on them. It was genius, because the work load for us was tiny. We collected orders, waited till we had £1000 worth, and then got in touch with a supplier. We made 100% profit on everything we sold.

There were 12 people in the company, I was finance director. We got to the 2nd round in the company which we thought was a bit unfair, because a company is all about making money and that we did very successfully.

On to the interesting stuff... in terms of outright profit, the 12 of us made £350 each. Our total profit was £4800 after tax. £600 went to charity. The rest went in our pockets.

Overall it was a great experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hey,
    Our company was called Cobweb. We had all sorts of great ideas in the early meetings, but settled on some dull products which we thought we could make a killing on, and we were proved right.

First we did Xmas cards... nice safe money spinner but a mere distraction from what made us our small fortunes.

Our main product was personalised clothing. We sold hoodies, tee shirts, boxers, thongs etc with personal messages on them. It was genius, because the work load for us was tiny. We collected orders, waited till we had £1000 worth, and then got in touch with a supplier. We made 100% profit on everything we sold.

There were 12 people in the company, I was finance director. We got to the 2nd round in the company which we thought was a bit unfair, because a company is all about making money and that we did very successfully.

On to the interesting stuff... in terms of outright profit, the 12 of us made £350 each. Our total profit was £4800 after tax. £600 went to charity. The rest went in our pockets.

Thats a really good idea, you dont have to physically make anything yourself. OMG sooo much profit. I think i got a fiver back from my shares!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hey,

We're heading to make similar profit to you but it will be split between 17 of us which is unfair as about 7 of us have done all the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    We're heading to make similar profit to you but it will be split between 17 of us which is unfair as about 7 of us have done all the work.
    Get the directors together for some 'discussions'. After all you only need MD and FD to get the money out the bank!

Our workload was well dispersed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    you should sack them .. hardest thing i ever had to do.. but people not pulling their weight is sth that really de-motivates the ones that are

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing YE at the moment. We're called Kalos and there's fifteen of us. We sold valentines roses (collected orders, wrapped them nicely and make tags and had a secret delivery service) and that went well. For our main project we're doing wall planners, which is really boring I know. It's going ok, but it takes up a lot of time and most people don't turn up to meetings or do any work at all. It's annoying because it's always the same people who end up doing everything

ReputationRep:
    -what was your product?

cookbooks + doing socials

-what was it called?

ces

interesting - we have made alot of money, but our expense was too much! we have spent almost 2 grand

ReputationRep:
    we were really strict on discipline.. we all decided we had to be otherwise the workload would never be fair.. so we had a contract which everyone helped to write and then signed. i had to fire 3 people who broke the terms of the contract and although i felt harsh at the time, it really centred and focussed our company and the system favoured those who were contributing. We started off with 15 and ended up with 8, and yes we were ruthless but successful becasue of it.. the hardest lesson to learn was how to separate your working relationship and your friendships.. firing one of my best friends was hell but it was my job and i learnt a lot from it.. what do you guys do about discipline? whats your md like?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.