The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jinx29
Nah, I'm Malaysian and I just graduated from Singapore Poly:smile:

Oh! So that means you don't have to go to NS. Cool.
Are you confident that your GPA will meet the criteria?
Reply 2321
Original post by whitelily29
Oh! So that means you don't have to go to NS. Cool.
Are you confident that your GPA will meet the criteria?

Yeap, in fact one of my friend who has a lower GPA than mine got an unconditional offer from UCL for Chem Eng. That's why I'm starting to regret for not apply Chem Eng at UCL.:tongue:
Original post by jinx29
Yeap, in fact one of my friend who has a lower GPA than mine got an unconditional offer from UCL for Chem Eng. That's why I'm starting to regret for not apply Chem Eng at UCL.:tongue:

Ahhhh. So you would rather study Chemical Engineering?
hmm anyone heading to imperial in 2012?
Reply 2324
Original post by whitelily29
Ahhhh. So you would rather study Chemical Engineering?

Nope, I prefer pure Chemistry over Chem Eng :smile:
but Chem Eng has a better job prospect
Reply 2325
Hi any singaporeans going to Newcastle this year?
Hi, I've some queries which i've asked british council about, but they are taking some time

Background: i'm a singaporean likely studying medicine in london! and hopes to settle in UK.

1. After i graduate from the MBBS course, can i stay on in UK, practise as a doctor, and become a permanent resident there, or will i be required to leave UK(like Australia is doing)?

2. Are the policies poised to be international student friendly, in terms of job prospects, accommodation, healthcare (in view of the political scene there)?

3. As a Permanent Resident, in what areas of living (housing/children's education/healthcare/subsidies/busaries) will I be disadvantaged, as compared to a UK citizen?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by eirelavtan
Hi, I've some queries which i've asked british council about, but they are taking some time

Background: i'm a singaporean likely studying medicine in london! and hopes to settle in UK.

1. After i graduate from the MBBS course, can i stay on in UK, practise as a doctor, and become a permanent resident there, or will i be required to leave UK(like Australia is doing)?

2. Are the policies poised to be international student friendly, in terms of job prospects, accommodation, healthcare (in view of the political scene there)?

3. As a Permanent Resident, in what areas of living (housing/children's education/healthcare/subsidies/busaries) will I be disadvantaged, as compared to a UK citizen?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

After graduation, you should be guaranteed a job for 1-2 years. After which, it will depend on the hospital and your job performance etc. Unlikely that you'll be allowed to stay though. They give priority to locals and to EU nationals.

Why would you want to become a resident of the UK?:eek: What about your family in Singapore? 'This is homeeee trulyyyy, where I know I must beeeee...'
:biggrin:
Original post by happy-pink-gecko
After graduation, you should be guaranteed a job for 1-2 years. After which, it will depend on the hospital and your job performance etc. Unlikely that you'll be allowed to stay though. They give priority to locals and to EU nationals.

Why would you want to become a resident of the UK?:eek: What about your family in Singapore? 'This is homeeee trulyyyy, where I know I must beeeee...'
:biggrin:

oicoic.

personal reason. i'll retire in sg tho (:
I'm going to study in London this fall! (QMUL)

Gonna eat all the local food I can now :smile:
Original post by monchouchou
I'm going to study in London this fall! (QMUL)

Gonna eat all the local food I can now :smile:

and buy a large luggage bag for all the local goodies :biggrin:
kaya, prima pastes, chilli sauce...:colone:
hi guys.

few questions:

1.) how long does it take to set up a bank account in september?

2.) Related to q1: how much cash should i bring over? I've already changed £1,100 when it was 1=2, should i change more?

3.) I'm taking SQ322 to LHR on 10/9/11. ANYONE ELSE??!?!?
Reply 2332

1) Variable, and depends on banks / number of students. Can take up to a month for some. On the plus side, HSBC allows you to set an account up in SG.

2) Variable - also dependent on whether you are in London / outside London. Asking those in the same University as you (but senior) should help.

3) Not me!
Original post by Isaacchan
hi guys.

few questions:

1.) how long does it take to set up a bank account in september?

2.) Related to q1: how much cash should i bring over? I've already changed £1,100 when it was 1=2, should i change more?

3.) I'm taking SQ322 to LHR on 10/9/11. ANYONE ELSE??!?!?

You have booked air tickets already?? Whoa! I will be taking SQ too, but I can't be sure of the dates yet.

As for the money, just bring whatever you think you will need for food and shopping I guess? I am uncomfortable with carrying too much cash with me so I'll be wiring the money over once I have the bank set up.
You have booked air tickets already?? Whoa! I will be taking SQ too, but I can't be sure of the dates yet.

As for the money, just bring whatever you think you will need for food and shopping I guess? I am uncomfortable with carrying too much cash with me so I'll be wiring the money over once I have the bank set up.

Looking at what Narev said, looks like cash has got to be brought over, if bank accounts take long to set up. ( i dont trust these ang mohs to work efficiently :biggrin: )

anyway u can book a flexi ticket with SIA. Theres no charge for itinery changes for SQ i think. I'm flying 1 way btw, my friend told me fares are alot cheaper bought in UK (e.g. S$1,600 SIN-LHR 2 ways if u buy Emirates in SG, £550 if u buy in UK :redface: ) and you'd know your schedule better once you're in UK. so u dun have to anyhow stab at your return date.
Looking at what Narev said, looks like cash has got to be brought over, if bank accounts take long to set up. ( i dont trust these ang mohs to work efficiently :biggrin: )

anyway u can book a flexi ticket with SIA. Theres no charge for itinery changes for SQ i think. I'm flying 1 way btw, my friend told me fares are alot cheaper bought in UK (e.g. S$1,600 SIN-LHR 2 ways if u buy Emirates in SG, £550 if u buy in UK :redface: ) and you'd know your schedule better once you're in UK. so u dun have to anyhow stab at your return date.

That's cool! I was debating between one way or round trip, my parents seems to think that round trips are more value for money. But it's true that air tickets are much cheaper if you fly out from UK :s-smilie: Looks like I'll be purchasing a one way trip then!

My brother is already in the uk so I will transfer money from him if need be. Carrying so much money is bad news for me because I am the most careless person EVER. >__>

Where will you be studying? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
That's cool! I was debating between one way or round trip, my parents seems to think that round trips are more value for money. But it's true that air tickets are much cheaper if you fly out from UK :s-smilie: Looks like I'll be purchasing a one way trip then!

My brother is already in the uk so I will transfer money from him if need be. Carrying so much money is bad news for me because I am the most careless person EVER. >__>

Where will you be studying? :smile:

ah...lucky you. someone in the UK.

I'll be studying medicine in Leeds. So i'll have to take a coach up.

How about you?
ah...lucky you. someone in the UK.

I'll be studying medicine in Leeds. So i'll have to take a coach up.

How about you?

isaac! you're confirmed?

I'm likely studying medicine in london too!

did you have to sit for those xtra english tests? -.- i got asked to in my conditional from kings zzz

anyway, have u completed your CRB? i find the process rather confusing, and have a few questions.

1. do we fill up section D? as though the booklet said its compulsory to fill up the yellow boxes, an attached document sent from my uni said "please leave section D blank"

2. is the enhanced disclosure = CNCC? do you get reimbursed for this? (cos they said they reimburse UK students)

3. when are you applying for ur student visa? whats the process like? any tips?

4. for section b, they ask you for your current address, then 35b asks you to fill in your UK postcode. what did you do then?

5. do you send your original documents over by post 0.0?
Original post by eirelavtan
isaac! you're confirmed?

I'm likely studying medicine in london too!

did you have to sit for those xtra english tests? -.- i got asked to in my conditional from kings zzz

anyway, have u completed your CRB? i find the process rather confusing, and have a few questions.

1. do we fill up section D? as though the booklet said its compulsory to fill up the yellow boxes, an attached document sent from my uni said "please leave section D blank"

2. is the enhanced disclosure = CNCC? do you get reimbursed for this? (cos they said they reimburse UK students)

3. when are you applying for ur student visa? whats the process like? any tips?

4. for section b, they ask you for your current address, then 35b asks you to fill in your UK postcode. what did you do then?

5. do you send your original documents over by post 0.0?

what is CRB ??!?!??!?!?!??!?!??! You're making me panic! :eek:

I have no idea what you're talking about in 1 and 2. OMG.

3.) I will apply 3 mths before my course starts. the opening date. why? 2 reasons. I'm going backpacking in australia in july and I want to settle this ASAP. 2.) I am a damn kiasu singaporean.

4.) What is section B? omg.

5.) Why do u need to send over your docs? huh???

why did u receive a conditional? I received an unconditional from Leeds w/o having to take any additional tests. But then again I'm a guy and I did my NS in 2008. I suspect you're a girl who just received your A levels?
Reply 2339

CRB check - to check you have no criminal records in the UK:

http://www.personnelchecks.co.uk/

No idea about medicine, but I do know it is used if you're going to work with young children (eg, taking any teaching courses). Although er, given the recent news about the MOE scholar...

Unless you're resident in the UK for the last five years, they may want to check if you have any criminal records in your previous country. That's where COC (not CNCC) comes in. Takes two weeks to process, which is decent, but Malaysia's equivalent takes 1 day...

CNCC - Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (Singapore) - but I think it's outdated. You'll need a COC (Certificate of Clearance - and not Change of Command) which is the same thing. Can't remember why they changed from CNCC to COC, but I dimly recall is that only Singaporeans and PRs can apply for the COC.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest