Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gandhistoto)
    if u r looking at ivies, stanford and UCs(Berkeley, Los Angeles, etc) it wud be >= 55k USD a year. if u r looking at slightly lower level of top unis, then usually >= 50k
    for community college, probably around 30k or so.

uk is usually around 25k pounds rite(except for imperial maybe) n since 1 GBP 1.617 USD, or according to google anyway. US unis r more ex than UK's
    Does that include living costs?

I'm actually thinking of doing my MBA in one of the ivies after finishing my undergrad in the UK. But seeing how expensive it is, I might have to work a few more years before going..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volante)
    Does that include living costs?

I'm actually thinking of doing my MBA in one of the ivies after finishing my undergrad in the UK. But seeing how expensive it is, I might have to work a few more years before going..
    yup. and oh since i was talking about the undergrad education, MBA may even be more expensive than those figures haha. Im not sure tho, since I never checked MBA cost. But you can search for some company sponsorships or scholarships just that most probably u need to work in tt company after getting ur MBA

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks!! All the best with uni ya?
    (Original post by gandhistoto)
    wew columbia, congrats man! go for it is what i wud say, since i was rejected by all the ivies haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'll be paying double of what I'd have been paying in the UK.
    Maybe that's cos Columbia's really expensive...if you choose a good, top-value college like Minnesota-Twin Cities or UM-Amherst, the costs would be far lower.

Out of curiousity, which uni are you headed to?

And any idea how much more does an education in US cost compared to UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calmflare)
    But then again no one in Singapore seems to have heard of Aber ......
    Hey ! Dont be presumptious ! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masala)
    Hey ! Dont be presumptious ! :cool:
    well it seem quite true

no one i know heard of aber except for me. even acquaintance in mfa

ReputationRep:
    I heard that £50 notes are not widely accepted in the UK. can someone verify this? I changed quite a substantial amount of pounds already, and they are all in £50 banknotes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    I heard that £50 notes are not widely accepted in the UK. can someone verify this? I changed quite a substantial amount of pounds already, and they are all in £50 banknotes!
    This is true - due to the possibility of counterfeit notes. Small convenience stores and my SU doesn't accept them. Which is kind of a ***** if you need to pay £125 for certain admin matters.

But most big supermarket chains (and restaurants) accept them, so no worries there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    This is true - due to the possibility of counterfeit notes. Small convenience stores and my SU doesn't accept them. Which is kind of a ***** if you need to pay £125 for certain admin matters.

But most big supermarket chains (and restaurants) accept them, so no worries there!
    oh right...thanks! I'll just keep going to Asda and whatever, buy £1 worth of stuff and get back change

kind of absurd don't you think? imagine if 7-11, econ minimart etc here don't accept $50 notes....

ReputationRep:
    Well £50 = $100 and not a lot of £50 notes are in circulation (if you go to a cash machine and try to withdraw £50 or more, you'll get your money in £10/20 notes).

When I first came over I also had to use £50 notes but I think I mainly used them at Sainsbury's and never had a problem (although each time I used them the cashier had to get a supervisor to come and check it over!).

(And anyway once you set up a bank account/etc you can just deposit the rest, which is what I think I ended up doing!)

ReputationRep:
    Any Singaporeans going to Exeter to read law in Oct 2011?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 30160775)
    Argh same problem here, I won't be assigned a college in my university until August. I thought we could still make it even if we started then, when's the latest we should finish all the visa stuff? Term only starts in Oct for me.

My university hasn't said a thing about CAS either.
    which uni r u going to?

i know you can apply 3 months b4 flying off, and it takes 5 working days to process the visa in sg. if all ur docs are in order.

be sure to update ur passport (get a new one) cos u dun wanna change it halfway when it expires and then face problems cos the passport num will be diff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    email the Kcl admissions office they respond fairly quickly
    oh ur so wrong.

they've ignored my emails (both via normal email, and also via the kcl portal called MYAPP) since mid march.

and i have only managed to get thru calling them once in april - to confirm they've received my email. and they said "we'll look into it"

and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

and in e past 3 weeks i've been trying (on-off) to call them during their working hours from 9-5 GMT0, NO ONE has been picking up my call.

-.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eirelavtan)
    oh ur so wrong.

they've ignored my emails (both via normal email, and also via the kcl portal called MYAPP) since mid march.

and i have only managed to get thru calling them once in april - to confirm they've received my email. and they said "we'll look into it"

and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

and in e past 3 weeks i've been trying (on-off) to call them during their working hours from 9-5 GMT0, NO ONE has been picking up my call.

-.-
    Hmmmm, i didn't have these problems in contacting the LSE office. Having said that, they're taking terribly long to verify my A level cert and give me my CAS.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, i didn't have these problems in contacting the LSE office. Having said that, they're taking terribly long to verify my A level cert and give me my CAS.
    oh kcl just replied me on 23rd may &said

" Unfortunately, due to new UK Border Agency regulations we will be unable to exempt you from the IELTS test. "

-

anyway, do u guys know if there are any loans singaporeans can take up to fund UK fees?
    many banks appear to have removed the student loan product. and HSBC's website (supposedly recommended) does not have student loan for undergrads?

my situation:

singaporean
    tuition fees alone: 250k sgd / 5yrs @ KCL medicine.
    parents have a house, fixed asset worth >400k. hence can be guarantors.
    - needs a loan to cover at least 150k SGD for my 5 yrs.

ReputationRep:

" Unfortunately, due to new UK Border Agency regulations we will be unable to exempt you from the IELTS test. "

-

anyway, do u guys know if there are any loans singaporeans can take up to fund UK fees?
    many banks appear to have removed the student loan product. and HSBC's website (supposedly recommended) does not have student loan for undergrads?

my situation:

singaporean
    hey, i was looking around for an education loan too and came across this http://www.smartloans.sg/pages/educationloan ...u need to mark the "have you received the acceptance letter - yes"... they will require a copy of your acceptance letter which they will ask later. if not they will send an e-mail without any edu loan suggestions n ask for a copy of the acceptance letter like what happened to me...

ReputationRep:

-

my situation:

singaporean
    Must we do the IELTS tests?!

ReputationRep:

-

my situation:

singaporean
    When i was at the UK-departure convention last year there were lectures for student loans, but I can't remember the name of the bank. Your loans repayments will be pretty hefty, if you don't mind me asking, why medicine and why kcl?

ReputationRep:
    Must we do the IELTS tests?!
    apparently imperial did not require it, but kcl does?

im not happy about it either, cos other singaporeans studying @ kings do not need the IELTS.

ReputationRep:
    When i was at the UK-departure convention last year there were lectures for student loans, but I can't remember the name of the bank. Your loans repayments will be pretty hefty, if you don't mind me asking, why medicine and why kcl?
    medicine cos it draws me in (: both as an art & science.

kcl cos
    1. i want to live in the uk. personal thing.
    2. teaching quality is decent
    3. imperial is too expensive
    4. ucl (cheaper by 40k sgd!) rejected me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.