The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by guy_mjun
I should think that either the certificate or the slip of paper will suffice. As long as either shows the grades you used to get your place in university and it is an official document (with the official letter head, etc.), it'll be fine. Once your application is processed, all your original documents will be returned to you.

Regarding IELTS, the official guidelines state that the university can determine if you meet their requirements. My university (KCL) wrote to me explaining that "because you are a Singaporean student who has sat the Singapore A-levels, we never ask extra evidence of English language abilities because students doing the Singapore A-levels are taught in English and are considered to be proficient in the English language". And indeed my CAS states that I've met their requirements, hence no need for IELTS. So for my case the university decided on the basis that our A levels are conducted in English, rather than the specific O/A level grades (though if they did consider them, I do not know). Have you verified with your university?

With regards to applying for visa at a UK embassy in a different country, I'm not sure of the process there, so I won't be able to help!

The reason I'm so worried about sending in my A level cert is because, well, I'm not in Singapore, and the country I'm in doesn't have an UK embassy, so I'd need to post my original documents to New York. My school was unwilling to send my A level cert to me via even DHL, they refused to even consider it, so I'm just a bit paranoid about sending my cert through post. Apparently, this cert is crucially important...or something (I mean, can't we get a replacement or something if we lose it?).

The uni just emailed me and asked me to check if the info that they're sending the border agency for the CAS is accurate. In that, I noticed that in the other documents section, they mentioned that they had verified my results with UCAS and that I would only need to provide an interim A level cert. Any idea what this means? :s-smilie:

Alright, so the English requirement depends on the uni. I haven't verified it...aww man...I really hope I don't have to do the IELTS. UK unis don't consider SATs, do they?

Thanks for all your help :smile:

jingyao
Hi,

If you are not comfortable with providing your original certificate, you can go to MOE and pay a fee to get a statement of your A level results. I did the same for my O level results.

This is great news! You wouldn't happen to know if we'd need to be there in person to collect this statement, would you (Would they send it by mail--DHL)? I'm not in Singapore at the moment...

jingyao
I think you might be aware of this already, but do take into account of the consecutive 28 days of money in the bank account. I have gotten my CAS and have more or less prepared the necessary documents; however I can't apply for my visa so soon due to the 28 days requirement.

Fortunately, yes, I do know of this info! Thanks :smile:

Narev

A statement from the British High Commission said the process will mean that Singaporean visa applicants going to study in the UK will generally not be expected to provide documentary evidence of financial maintenance and education qualifications when they apply. Singaporean applicants should complete their visa application form online at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas.

This is probably true, but I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that in case they ask this statement of us at a later date (in case an interview is necessary or when we first enter UK for studies), we need to be ready to provide it (which is completely stupid, but oh well).

Can someone confirm this bit?

And anyway, I figured better safe than sorry. It'd be frustrating to be denied entry because we can't prove that we have enough money in the case that we do have it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2641
Hi,
You can refer to the link for the MOE website.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/about/customer-service/exam-services/

With regards to your other queries pertaining to the monetary side, I think that the best way is to read up on what's required in the UK Border Agency Website. There is a guide on how we should go about completing our Tier 4 student visa; it's quite comprehensive and detailed. Personally I will still stick to getting the required documents :smile:

As for the English Language requirement, my school did not require me to take IELTS so I believe it depends on your school's instruction.

All the best with your preparation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2642
Original post by jjo92

This is probably true, but I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that in case they ask this statement of us at a later date (in case an interview is necessary or when we first enter UK for studies), we need to be ready to provide it (which is completely stupid, but oh well).

Can someone confirm this bit?

And anyway, I figured better safe than sorry. It'd be frustrating to be denied entry because we can't prove that we have enough money in the case that we do have it.

In my experience - you only need to show you have enough money for the first year at University. But you would be expected to pay this money anyway when you arrive, either in one lump sum, or in installments. So it would be pretty silly if at a later date you are asked whether you have enough money, given that you have already paid your tuition for the first year.
Reply 2643
Original post by Narev
In my experience - you only need to show you have enough money for the first year at University. But you would be expected to pay this money anyway when you arrive, either in one lump sum, or in installments. So it would be pretty silly if at a later date you are asked whether you have enough money, given that you have already paid your tuition for the first year.

I didn't mean later as in after we arrive. I meant when/before we arrive in UK. Besides, I'm pretty sure that if we've already paid the money, that should be stated in the CAS and that will be our statement.

Anyway, the following is what I'm a bit confused about (it's only the guide from one university...):

New 'low-risk' countries as defined by UKBA
The first stage of the visa application process has been simplified for citizens of the countries that UKBA has specified:

Argentina
Australia
British National Overseas
Brunei
Canada
Chile
Croatia
Hong Kong
Japan
Mexico
New Zealand
Singapore
South Korea
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America

You do not have to submit financial and other supporting documents with your passport and application form at the beginning of the visa application process. However, UKBA can ask you to provide the documents at a later stage, for example, if you are asked to attend an interview. You may have to produce the documents when you land in the UK so make sure you have all the correct original documents available in your hand luggage when you are travelling.
Reply 2644
Original post by jingyao
Hi,
You can refer to the link for the MOE website.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/about/customer-service/exam-services/

With regards to your other queries pertaining to the monetary side, I think that the best way is to read up on what's required in the UK Border Agency Website. There is a guide on how we should go about completing our Tier 4 student visa; it's quite comprehensive and detailed. Personally I will still stick to getting the required documents :smile:

As for the English Language requirement, my school did not require me to take IELTS so I believe it depends on your school's instruction.

All the best with your preparation.

I didn't notice your post, sorry ^^;

Thank you so much for the link! This is a great help! Saves me a lot of trouble :biggrin:

Yeah, I was planning to submit all the required documents too, better safe than sorry and besides, this rule is kinda new, and I'd rather not mess anything up. :smile:
applied for my visa on friday, despite knowing about the new ruling that comes into effect 4/7/2011. Oh well. Want to beat the hoard :biggrin: (kiasu singaporean here)

even with so few students applying (I think there were only maybe 5 orr 6 people ahead of me), I took over 1 1/2 hrs to clear the whole process. So book early if you can, people :smile:
havent receive my cas yet :frown: T_T stress =.=
Reply 2647
hi! i received a conditional offer to the university of manchester to study management and leisure. i have obtained a IELTS score of 7.5 and was wondering how i should submit it to the university? since the deadline is 1st july... :frown:
Reply 2648
Original post by Phina

Original post by Phina
hi! i received a conditional offer to the university of manchester to study management and leisure. i have obtained a IELTS score of 7.5 and was wondering how i should submit it to the university? since the deadline is 1st july... :frown:

dhl delivered by next business day
Reply 2649
Any compulsory medical check-up etc that I need to be aware on the UK front? I know US requires it, but anything for UK?
Hi i've got a couple of questions here.

I did not have any offers from my first five choices (applied for entry year 2012) and was eligible for extra. Following which, when I tried to applied for KCL, I was not given a choice to choose my entry year 2012 (only 2011 was available).

Then, I received a conditional offer a few days ago for entry year 2011. Anyone knows if I would be allowed to defer to entry year 2012 (because of NS)? Or is there a good chance that they will turn me down and ask me to apply again?

And my condition is to complete the IELTS. But I don't quite understand why I need to do that when I got an A for GP?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2651
Original post by jjo92
Any compulsory medical check-up etc that I need to be aware on the UK front? I know US requires it, but anything for UK?

Yeah, was wondering for this part too. I think we could get an X-ray done and a physician certification in s'pore. but i'm not too sure.
Reply 2652
Original post by geraldto
Yeah, was wondering for this part too. I think we could get an X-ray done and a physician certification in s'pore. but i'm not too sure.

We could, but I'm not sure if it's even needed...(hope we don't need it :s-smilie: extra work...)
Reply 2653
anyway do check your mails , British councils are organising talks for departure
And my condition is to complete the IELTS. But I don't quite understand why I need to do that when I got an A for GP

GP is not considered by UK schools to be a test of your proficiency. For that you'd need your 'O' level English as far as I know.
Reply 2655
Hey all, just wondering what is the best way to pay your accommodation and university course fees? Withdraw a bank draft? Thanks.
Reply 2656
I suppose I shall post the same question I have asked (four times now..gosh..)

Anyone studying MORSE at Warwick this academic year?
Reply 2657
Helllooooooo guys! Anyone going to Southampton in Sept? :biggrin:
Just collected my visa back from VFS. They only took 5 working days to get back to me!

Is anyone travelling to the UK on the 16th of sept? :smile:
visaedit.jpg

hehe :biggrin: anyone flying to london on 10th september? I'll be on SQ322 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending