The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicholasng925

:biggrin: Actuarial Science is a profession which involves heavily on Statistics, Finance and Economics. A lot of people have wrong impression in mind that Actuarial Science is all about Maths when it's actually not. Actuarial students need to pass a series of professional examinations conducted by one of the actuarial societies around, such as Society of Actuaries (US) and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries UK (just to name a few). Generally the main job of actuaries is to calculate risk involved in projects or primarily, in calculating insurance premiums namely pricing. Actuaries are required to build various models to calculate risk based on different number of parameters involved. Well, it's one of the hardest courses around, but if you could make it to the end, it's extremely rewarding. :smile:

wow that sounds really cool :smile: good luck! i'm sure you will find it extremely rewarding once you finish the course :smile:
Original post by puttysan

hey guys,

i am also interested in applying for medicine for the 2012 intake..

have you guys sat for the ukcat yet?

im wondering if the cutoff will be higher or lower as compared for the home (local) intake.

:smile:

hi which unis are you looking at? :smile: i took the ukcat around july, got an average score of 732.5 :smile:

i think it'll be higher compared to home applicants cause international places are more competitive... not sure though.
Original post by Metastasis
wow that sounds really cool :smile: good luck! i'm sure you will find it extremely rewarding once you finish the course :smile:

yeah it's so cool! :tongue: haha good luck to you too! By the way, you're applying for Medicine? I assume that you are studying in one of the junior colleges right now. :smile:
yeah it's so cool! :tongue: haha good luck to you too! By the way, you're applying for Medicine? I assume that you are studying in one of the junior colleges right now. :smile:

Haha sadly I'm not... On a gap year now cause I didn't make it to local med this year :frown:
Haha sadly I'm not... On a gap year now cause I didn't make it to local med this year :frown:

Oh, so you're going to apply for Medic next year intake? :smile: Aiyo don't be sad la, everything will be fine. Cheers! :smile:

Oh, so you're going to apply for Medic next year intake? :smile: Aiyo don't be sad la, everything will be fine. Cheers! :smile:

haha yup :smile: i'm not sad, just having the time of my life now LOL
haha yup :smile: i'm not sad, just having the time of my life now LOL

Then what's up with your sad face just now? :tongue: heh. Good luck then! What're you doing? Finished your A-Levels already?

Then what's up with your sad face just now? :tongue: heh. Good luck then! What're you doing? Finished your A-Levels already?

hahaha at the beginning i was quite depressed at the prospect of taking a gap year. working to save up and probably go travelling next year after all my apps are settled :smile: yup i did, got AAAB for my 4 core subjects at H2 hehe :smile:
hahaha at the beginning i was quite depressed at the prospect of taking a gap year. working to save up and probably go travelling next year after all my apps are settled :smile: yup i did, got AAAB for my 4 core subjects at H2 hehe :smile:

Oh I see! aiya don't have to be depressed la, since you already have the result, why do you want to worry so much if you're satisfied with them? :smile: I'm the one should be worrying now, cause I'm taking A2 next year (CIE board), although I've finished all my syllabus and taken my first A2 trial last week. :tongue: hehe

Oh I see! aiya don't have to be depressed la, since you already have the result, why do you want to worry so much if you're satisfied with them? :smile: I'm the one should be worrying now, cause I'm taking A2 next year (CIE board), although I've finished all my syllabus and taken my first A2 trial last week. :tongue: hehe

if i don't get in i will have sort of wasted one year yeah... good luck :smile: A2 is the equivalent of A levels in Singapore right?
if i don't get in i will have sort of wasted one year yeah... good luck :smile: A2 is the equivalent of A levels in Singapore right?

haiyo, then try to apply to other places la. Not necessary need to apply to UK right? :tongue: Australia, US, etc? yeap, thanks! A2 is equivalent to A-Levels in Singapore. :smile:

haiyo, then try to apply to other places la. Not necessary need to apply to UK right? :tongue: Australia, US, etc? yeap, thanks! A2 is equivalent to A-Levels in Singapore. :smile:

haha for Australia and US both are longer and more expensive. guess UK is the more viable option currently... you do have to take into account of the expensive school fees hello! hahahaha
Reply 2752
yea guys... i studied in aus and its really exp as compared to uk..

i was wondering what unis are popular with sg med students..ucl, kings?

I am going to put barts as 1 of my options and bristol as another... still have 2 more slots tho.. :frown:

yea guys... i studied in aus and its really exp as compared to uk..

i was wondering what unis are popular with sg med students..ucl, kings?

I am going to put barts as 1 of my options and bristol as another... still have 2 more slots tho.. :frown:

Hi, I'm sure for grad medicine, only a few schools do accept. Check out this website: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Medical-school-graduate-entry.aspx

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2754
thanks metastasis...

:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 2755
Hi everyone,

For those who are heading to the UK this September, how are you all transferring your (or your parents') cash to the UK?

If anyone here has used Travelex before, please share your experience. It seems their exchange rate is a bit higher than the usual, but they only charge a flat admin fee compared to the major banks, where a telegraphic transfer or demand draft can be rather costly too.

Thanks!
Original post by Isaacchan
hey, for medical students, if we cant provide proof of vaccination against Hep B,C, Meningitis C, MMR will the medical school/NHS provide us with it?

I did get vaccinated against Hep B in SAF (I was a medic) but I don't think I'm vaccinated against the rest. Thanks in advance :smile:

From what I remember (this is a few years ago so things might have changed):
- Hep B - I had to get tested by the university occupational health service despite already having been tested in Singapore and having the report. I think if you need to get a booster shot it's not covered under the NHS and you have to pay extra, but I could be wrong on this.
- Meningitis - I simply turned up at my GP practice, said I hadn't been vaccinated against Meningitis, and got vaccinated (I think they offer it if you're under 25 or so).

I'm not so sure about Hep C and MMR...

Original post by Chad Storm
moving along, when you guys come here, you mite wanna check out Three Mobile. its one of the many mobile service providers in the UK. Their current offer for the iPhone has created quite a buzz. You pay 69 pounds upfront for a iPhone 4 16GB White/Black. Internet usage is appealing! 2000 free talktime mins to any network, any time of the day. if you call a fellow Three Mobile subscriber, you get additional mins free which runs into the thousands(mins). the contract is a standard 2 year one. im unsure if you can see the link cos sometimes, pple from outside the UK can't gain access.
http://threestore.three.co.uk/priceplans.aspx?phonecode=IP416GBB3D

oh come on! don't pretend you don't know that once you finish your UK studies and return to SG, all you gotta do is to go to a shop and unlock the phone. and it will be compatible with the local providers.

so yeah. in a bit!!

I should add though that before you sign up to any mobile phone contract to check the coverage in your area. Some mobile phone networks have truly dire coverage in parts of the country (it's not like Singapore where you have almost perfect coverage everywhere). In fact the mobile network I'm on (O2) doesn't work if I'm anywhere below the 3rd floor of the building I work in...

Original post by vladricketts
hey guys i'm in ns currently and planning to apply for deferred entry for med in 2013. Since most unis require you to fly over to uk for interview, lets say if i apply 3 unis that require and (if i am fortunate) give me an interview, will i have to fly to uk 3 separate times or can i schedule the dates together so that i can just fly there once. And for guys, cos im still in ns, how many days of leave will i need to take to fly there for interview? thanks!

You can try to request particular dates (along the lines of "I'll be in the UK during this period of time") - the only catch is that universities might send out interview dates at different times which might make it a bit hard to coordinate (e.g. Oxbridge interview start of December, but other universities may keep interviewing all the way up to March or so).

There are universities that interview in Singapore for medicine though - the year I applied I believe these included Cambridge, QMUL, and Aberdeen. Also apparently Edinburgh doesn't interview at all...
Original post by psyche87

There are universities that interview in Singapore for medicine though - the year I applied I believe these included Cambridge, QMUL, and Aberdeen. Also apparently Edinburgh doesn't interview at all...

I've read online that Edinburgh wants a very stellar CCA record with loads of extracurricular and voluntary work :smile:
I'm flying into leeds bradford tomorrow!
Original post by tanglewire
I'm flying into leeds bradford tomorrow!

Good luck and have a safe flight! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending