The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by whitelily29
Yeahhh, that's true. I don't see much prep that I can do now though. I can't apply for accommodation yet and I can't apply for visa either. I'm visiting London in June, so I guess I'll start prep then.
I think chinese herbs is a good idea. You're vegetarian?
I've seen pictures of a few of my friend's meals and she ate mostly pasta or rice. Doesn't really appeal to me. ^^

me too! applications for accomodations and visa will only come around may-june. i am really excited about packing my lugguage and few days ago i dreamt that i forgot my passport on the way to the airport. that will be a bummer if it happens in real lol.
its great that u get to visit first. i told my parents about this idea but they are not really keen so i will only reach in sept.
yes i am vegetarian. oh man if my meal options consist of pasta and rice i would rather eat grass. haha just joking!
Original post by Irenicis
Hi guys! First time posting on this thread!

I'm going to ask some questions so please bear with me! Thanks!.

1. Anyone doing economics (L100)? I'm thinking of whether to do it at Bristol, Bath or Warwick. Which is best? :biggrin:

2. When is the best time we apply for accomodation? How long does it take? I don't want to be sleeping on the streets when i go there haha.

3. When is the lastest we can apply for a student visa? what are the requirements?

Thanks all!

I'm not doing economics so I can't help you with that. If it helps, my dad used to travel to Bristol all the time and he says it's a beautiful place. Not too far from London either.

Accommodation will be whenever the school sends you the package with information on how to apply for accommodation. Usually it'll be a few weeks after you confirm your place?

As for student visa, you can apply it as early as 3 months before you fly. So if you want to leave Singapore on the 23rd of September, you can apply to get your visa from 23rd of June onwards.
Original post by jonobebe
me too! applications for accomodations and visa will only come around may-june. i am really excited about packing my lugguage and few days ago i dreamt that i forgot my passport on the way to the airport. that will be a bummer if it happens in real lol.
its great that u get to visit first. i told my parents about this idea but they are not really keen so i will only reach in sept.
yes i am vegetarian. oh man if my meal options consist of pasta and rice i would rather eat grass. haha just joking!

Accommodation at UCL is really tricky and pretty competitive, and I can't believe I have to wait for my package to arrive before I apply. Hopefully I get something that suits me.
A few days ago I dreamt that I forgot to pack and I was still packing half an hour before my flight! Why are we having such dreams! ):

Yeah, it's really expensive to travel to London. Thankfully my dad used to travel a lot so he still has mileage, and we have a week free accommodation anywhere to clear. So we may make use of that.

Haven't met a vegetarian in a while (: At least you can be assured that vegetables will be easy to find in UK!
Reply 3003
Accommodation at UCL is really tricky and pretty competitive, and I can't believe I have to wait for my package to arrive before I apply. Hopefully I get something that suits me.
A few days ago I dreamt that I forgot to pack and I was still packing half an hour before my flight! Why are we having such dreams! ):

Yeah, it's really expensive to travel to London. Thankfully my dad used to travel a lot so he still has mileage, and we have a week free accommodation anywhere to clear. So we may make use of that.

Haven't met a vegetarian in a while (: At least you can be assured that vegetables will be easy to find in UK!

so after we firmed our offers, the uni will send a package to us? or will they only do so after u pay deposit?
Reply 3004
Original post by theil
I'll be studying MSc Finance and Investment. Still can't really decide if I wanna be in a city haha. Quite sick of city life with all the buildings, squeezing, crowd and noise. It would be quite awesome to just go away for a year in a campus university out somewhere random. But alas the deadline to accept is drawing near so I'll have to make a choice.

Ah bristol's pretty laid back compared to other cities I reckon..Besides, there's always stoke bishop for accomm which by itself is rather campus like..

Just curious, what's your other choice?
Reply 3005
Hi guys! First time posting on this thread!

I'm going to ask some questions so please bear with me! Thanks!.

1. Anyone doing economics (L100)? I'm thinking of whether to do it at Bristol, Bath or Warwick. Which is best? :biggrin:

Snooping around reveals that Warwick is generally considered a top 5 university for economics, along with LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, and UCL. But all the three universities you mentioned are reputable. Maybe you can compare their courses: specific modules, teaching styles, assessment methods. And don't forget the non-academic factors like clubs and societies and the general "feel" of each place :smile:
Original post by perpend
Snooping around reveals that Warwick is generally considered a top 5 university for economics, along with LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, and UCL. But all the three universities you mentioned are reputable. Maybe you can compare their courses: specific modules, teaching styles, assessment methods. And don't forget the non-academic factors like clubs and societies and the general "feel" of each place :smile:

Warwick's reputation is on the rise. It's still pretty new but will definitely improve along the years. I'm doing finance and econs as well. Did not apply to warwick because i heard the place is really boring haha. Chose Manchester instead.
Reply 3007
Original post by theil
Yah you're right Bristol is indeed smaller compared to the big cities like London and Manchester that's why I'm leaning towards it. Heard the nightlife is pretty good also. I have Cass, Exeter and Lancaster. I believe Stoke Bishop is for UG's only? Anyway it's relatively far from the main precinct I've read ppl saying they need like 35-40mins to walk to school. You're looking at Stoke? Haha I wish I could apply for Goldney Hall. If I do accept I'll probably apply for woodland/deans for accommodation.

Oh didn't know you're doing masters man.
Eh ya it is quite far. I reckon you can try applying for the stoke bishop ones as senior resident if you're doing masters or smth like that...
Ya goldney looks nice but it's so over-subscribed
Yeahhh, that's true. I don't see much prep that I can do now though. I can't apply for accommodation yet and I can't apply for visa either. I'm visiting London in June, so I guess I'll start prep then.
I think chinese herbs is a good idea. You're vegetarian?
I've seen pictures of a few of my friend's meals and she ate mostly pasta or rice. Doesn't really appeal to me. ^^

hey fellow UCL fresher!

Are you going for self-catered or catered for the first year?
I was thinking of staying at one of the Inter-collegiate halls for the first year and there's still two more years to do my own cooking. Luckily I know of one other guy who is doing the same course as me at UCL, so we can probably pair up, find two more, and rent an apartment in the 2nd n 3rd year.

I haven't firm UCL yet, planning to do so at the end of march. Has yr acceptance package arrive after you firmed UCL?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 3009
Original post by pandapower
hey fellow UCL fresher!

I was thinking of staying at one of the Inter-collegiate halls for the first year and there's still two more years to do my own cooking. Luckily I know of one other guy who is doing the same course as me at UCL, so we can probably pair up, find two more, and rent an apartment in the 2nd n 3rd year.

I haven't firm UCL yet, planning to do so at the end of march. Has yr acceptance package arrive after you firmed UCL?

Hi, are you on any scholarship?
Original post by jonobebe
so after we firmed our offers, the uni will send a package to us? or will they only do so after u pay deposit?

I believe so.. At least that's what the school told me. They'll send it along with the CAS.
hey fellow UCL fresher!

Self-catered! I actually wanted to stay at inter-collegiate halls, get to know people from other colleges, but I don't really want to go the catered route. Haven't decided though. >.<

They're taking forever to send it.. I firmed my choice on the 2nd day of chinese new year, which is quite a while back. Got the confirmation slip from UCAS already, so now I'm just waiting for the package. Up till now I don't even know if I'll be applying for accommodation via UCL or UCL school of pharmacy. It's kinda iffy.

Which course will you be doing?
Hi, are you on any scholarship?

Hi,

nope...are you?
Self-catered! I actually wanted to stay at inter-collegiate halls, get to know people from other colleges, but I don't really want to go the catered route. Haven't decided though. >.<

They're taking forever to send it.. I firmed my choice on the 2nd day of chinese new year, which is quite a while back. Got the confirmation slip from UCAS already, so now I'm just waiting for the package. Up till now I don't even know if I'll be applying for accommodation via UCL or UCL school of pharmacy. It's kinda iffy.

Which course will you be doing?

Hi,

Wow, UCL takes quite some time to send their packages internationally I presume....hm I thought we have to do it via UCL? or is the school of pharmacy special? lol

I ll be doing Economics...
Reply 3014
Hi,

nope...are you?

no...and my application don't seem to be very good.

Rejected by UCL for econs. I'm screwed so I dont think i'm going to London anymore. :frown:

LSE? Maybe not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi,

Wow, UCL takes quite some time to send their packages internationally I presume....hm I thought we have to do it via UCL? or is the school of pharmacy special? lol

I ll be doing Economics...

I have no idea! I'll just be a patient girl and wait for my mail to arrive. ): bummer. Hopefully it comes soon.

Which accommodation are you looking at?
no...and my application don't seem to be very good.

Rejected by UCL for econs. I'm screwed so I dont think i'm going to London anymore. :frown:

LSE? Maybe not.

Haha same. I got rejected by both UCL and LSE for econs last year. Pissing really.
But nothing that I can do about it.
Reply 3017
Original post by iamlovinit05
Haha same. I got rejected by both UCL and LSE for econs last year. Pissing really.
But nothing that I can do about it.

Is there really nothing I can do about it?
Is there really nothing I can do about it?

I think the only thing you can do, is to take a gap year, and get internships or something during this year to strengthen your application.

May I ask what was the reason that you got rejected?
Reply 3019
Original post by iamlovinit05
I think the only thing you can do, is to take a gap year, and get internships or something during this year to strengthen your application.

May I ask what was the reason that you got rejected?

"Your application has been unsuccessful

Due to the intense competition for places on this course,

UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the

best applicants. Regrettably, your UCAS application was

judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants."

It's probably my PS or smth...I seriously thought I had nabbed a place there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending