The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ofssinfoxes
We're covered by NHS???? Really???

And I thought it takes about 2 years to see a dentist with the NHS scheme! :redface:

Well! As long as you are a student for more than 6 months, you're covered.

Its not that bad really. Its almost like going to a polyclinic? Im not sure. But the university has its own medical stuff and infirmary.

Anw everyone! Would you like to link up on FB?
Original post by hubble
Just curious, which Chartis insurance did you get? Pricing seems abit steep. Wondering if is a better idea to get gadget insurance from UK instead.

Well this is the one I got! http://www.chartisinsurance.com/chartisint/internet/SG/en/files/student-assist-brochure-web_tcm1030-229012.pdf

Give it a look see. If the UK one has better and coverage and premium rate, then why not?:smile:
Original post by jonobebe
Anybody going to the Pre-departure program organized by British council?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

me :smile:
Original post by darcemeister
Heya Fluffy! I'm headed to leeds to study Law too. Problem is... I havent received my CAS thingy. When did you get yours and have you settled your accommodation?

Hi, Darcemeister! :smile:

I received my CAS on 28/06/12, pretty early :wink:

I have applied for accommodation but haven't got posted to any as yet, think we've got to wait until somewhere in mid-July or early August?

Anyway, don't worry. My friend going to Bristol hasn't got her CAS as yet, too. :biggrin:
Haha good to see some Singahporeans up here! Are y'all currently in uni or something?
Reply 3565
Original post by fluffypillow
me :smile:

i might not be able to make it, so if u do go i hope u can share the important information with us here :smile:
Reply 3566
Original post by thefifthdayofmay
Haha good to see some Singahporeans up here! Are y'all currently in uni or something?

Hi there welcome....most of us who are currently active posting for the past weeks here are on our way to UK. Most of the discussion currently is about our pre-departure preparation.
Reply 3567
Original post by kenryou
In western context, our surname is reflected as their last name (family name) and our given name is reflected as their first name. Therefore you will see it as Ah Beng Tan.

You don't have to show them but it is good to have them. They MAY request you to present the evidence when you collect your passport. Nevertheless, you should have the required maintenance fee in your bank for consecutive 28days.

If my name is for example, John Tan Ah Seng,
How should I reflect my Christian name and chinese name in the documents?
Reply 3568
Original post by volante
If my name is for example, John Tan Ah Seng,
How should I reflect my Christian name and chinese name in the documents?

in my IC, i am Tan Ah Seng, John.
so i put my name in UCAS and documents as Ah Seng John Tan.
Reply 3569
Original post by jonobebe
in my IC, i am Tan Ah Seng, John.
so i put my name in UCAS and documents as Ah Seng John Tan.

Thanks!
does anyone here think that the visa people at vfs are slightly unfriendly and the security guard is IRRITATING!
Reply 3571
does anyone here think that the visa people at vfs are slightly unfriendly and the security guard is IRRITATING!

really? i thought they were quite nice :giggle: perhaps they were having a bad day!

going to collect my visa later woohoo

Original post by ash911
really? i thought they were quite nice :giggle: perhaps they were having a bad day!

going to collect my visa later woohoo

I thought they were really nice too! But the application SYSTEM is a #^#$&^@#^$(*&#@$)* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Were you there at 8.30 am yesterday?!?

I have to go back another day:frown: Passport number in CAS was wrong...
Anyone opened a HSBC account? Im wondering if i should open the student account with them....

Finally got the visa done, now time to worry about phone plans, insurance, paying fees, bank accounts...... -_-'
Reply 3575
Hi anyone heading to uni edinburgh here...when you guys are thinking of flying to edinburgh?

For me i was thinking of flying between 7-10 sept, because if i am not wrong accomadation contract start from 8th sept. is anyone thinking the same as me? or is it better to fly earlier or later(due to some reason)?
Reply 3576
Anyone gg plymouth uni? Btw any recommendations for insurance, banks etc. I will be flying off to London on 12th Sept on British Airways =)
Reply 3577
Hi fellow Singaporeans! Anyone going to Exeter?
Original post by polar88

or is it better to fly earlier or later(due to some reason)?

Its all up to your preference. You might want to go early to set up a bank account with a local bank before all the students arrive. Or check out the nearby places(eg. If you are in self catered, the supermarkets etc)

:smile:
Original post by redsgal
Anyone gg plymouth uni? Btw any recommendations for insurance, banks etc. I will be flying off to London on 12th Sept on British Airways =)

Hey I'm on BA on 12th as well! are you on the 10.55pm one? BA0012 i think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending