Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofssinfoxes)
    Just wondering, those of you without scholarships........ how are you paying your tuition fees? All this bank stuff is so confusing!

PS: I cannot open the HSBC Premier account because I don't meet the $500000000000 minimum balance.....
    I just did a normal Telegraphic transfer. Still haven't figure out the best way to do all these payment shizzz. :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veeveevee)
    I just did a normal Telegraphic transfer. Still haven't figure out the best way to do all these payment shizzz. :/

same here, i just settled my remaining tuition fees via bank telegraphic transfer. However for the accommodation fees, i settled via online visa payment.

ReputationRep:
    What airlines are you guys gonna use?

ReputationRep:
    BA.

I hear we should get a cheap printer....? That's what the "what to bring to UNI" guide here in TSR mentioned.

Btw what bag are y'all going to use?? A normal Secsch/JC backpack or ¿¿ :confused: HAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonique)
    BA.

I hear we should get a cheap printer....? That's what the "what to bring to UNI" guide here in TSR mentioned.

Btw what bag are y'all going to use?? A normal Secsch/JC backpack or ¿¿ :confused: HAHA
    Hmmmm getting the printer in sg or in UK? i say the difference in prices wont be too huge, hence getting from UK should be no prob i guess.

I think bagpack is fine. We're going to school anyway!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Veeveevee)

(Original post by redsgal)
    same here, i just settled my remaining tuition fees via bank telegraphic transfer. However for the accommodation fees, i settled via online visa payment.
    Yeah, I settled my accmmodation with Visa as well (they didn't really give me a choice, actually), but bank transfer sounds very expensive! Since we are dealing with tens of thousands of pounds (mine's over 20,000, actually), I would imagine the deviation due to exchange rates must be overwhelming!

I was thinking of using the HSBC premier service, but it's a lot of money to open that account!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hhforever)
    Hmmmm getting the printer in sg or in UK? i say the difference in prices wont be too huge, hence getting from UK should be no prob i guess.

I think bagpack is fine. We're going to school anyway!
    Yeah, I concur..... buy it there! How much more expensive can it possibly be, really?

I am also dazzled by the fact that the British Council people keep saying "buy stationary, buy stationary." Really? Of all the things I can buy here to prepare myself for college, I am to buy pens???? How expensive are pens in the UK anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I concur..... buy it there! How much more expensive can it possibly be, really?

I am also dazzled by the fact that the British Council people keep saying "buy stationary, buy stationary." Really? Of all the things I can buy here to prepare myself for college, I am to buy pens???? How expensive are pens in the UK anyway?
    Yea, its not worth the effort to haul bulky items to and fro the airports.

Haha, I guess dunnid to be ridiculous like buy one year's worth of supplies those kind, juz bring a few would do. its best to use the money available in sg first, coz after all budget can be tight in UK.

ReputationRep:

I literally rofled when I read this.

Yea going to get a backpack then! It'll be easier to travel around! Heh heh! I'll be getting stationary here I think.

Other than that, clothes...
    I think we could buy laundry stuff there ?

What else is there.... Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Oh another question to all, what's your budget per week? Mine's less than 50 pounds considering the fact that my accom is catered!

ReputationRep:
    don't need to bring alot of things from singapore. trust me, i've been here a year and providing you know where to go, stuff is cheaper than sg. of course, i am not talking about asian groceries.

e.g. printer: pls dont bring it. it's cheaper and one can buy "pirated" ink at a fraction of the cost. mine was 25 pounds for a three in one and one set of four inks cost 4.80 pounds. yes, four pounds eighty p. and did i mention all these come with absolutely free delivery?

stationery: bull**** what BC says. you can get 30 ballpoint pens for a quid at the pound shops (pound land pound world and 99p stores), if you're not one of those who are picky about pens. or 10 gel pens for a quid. stapler and staples for a quid. 500 sheets of A4 printer paper for 2.50 at tesco or clas ohlsen. 300 pages of foolscap paper for a quid... all cheaper than popular. ryman occasionally has half price off uniball etc... show student card and you get extra 10% off.

HOWEVER, buy your textbooks in SG. they are much cheaper here. (or malaysia for those who have an option. even cheaper.) disclaimer though, i didnt use any of them except the anatomy textbook. hehe. kind of a waste of money but u can sell it off to juniors at a later stage.

i find living in uk cheaper than in sg tbh. if dont include accomodation, groceries like fruits, veggies and meat are cheaper, clothes are MUCH cheaper (zara, h&m, primark etc), mobile phone (giffgaff), etc.

however it does take abit more effort to save $$$. i often dont just go to tesco, i go to the nearby pound shops to get whatever i need there that is cheaper. you'd be surprised at the disparity in prices at the big four supermarkets and the poundshops sometimes.

to lemonique: I spent less than 6,500 pounds last year. this included a one way air ticket from sg, the visa fee and all the knickknacks one has to buy when first arriving. my accom was 4,000. that worked out to be about 277 a month excl accom. I also incurred some transport costs as i had medical placements outside of the main city once a week. you WILL spend more your first year, cuz halls are normally more ex than private accom and stuff like pots, pans, duvet, winter clothing, winter shoes etc etc have to be bought.

50 a week can be done if you skip lunch and dont go out that often and share dinner with some mates. I do go out, like eating out once or twice a week (about 6 pounds each time) and enjoying the occasional pint but i dont club.

EDIT: I just saw you're catered. 50 should not be a problem in that case. assuming you are not in london and not a big spender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    don't need to bring alot of things from singapore. trust me, i've been here a year and providing you know where to go, stuff is cheaper than sg. of course, i am not talking about asian groceries.

e.g. printer: pls dont bring it. it's cheaper and one can buy "pirated" ink at a fraction of the cost. mine was 25 pounds for a three in one and one set of four inks cost 4.80 pounds. yes, four pounds eighty p. and did i mention all these come with absolutely free delivery?

stationery: bull**** what BC says. you can get 30 ballpoint pens for a quid at the pound shops (pound land pound world and 99p stores), if you're not one of those who are picky about pens. or 10 gel pens for a quid. stapler and staples for a quid. 500 sheets of A4 printer paper for 2.50 at tesco or clas ohlsen. 300 pages of foolscap paper for a quid... all cheaper than popular

i find living in uk cheaper than in sg tbh. if dont include accomodation, groceries like fruits, veggies and meat are cheaper, clothes are MUCH cheaper (zara, h&m, primark etc), mobile phone (giffgaff), etc.
    Suddenly, Manchester seems like shopping heaven when I read your post.

ReputationRep:

i've heard that the quality of pens aren't that good in uk. so if u want your gel-roller magic ink non-stop non leak marvelous whatever particular brand pens, better to stock up in sg first.
    i am not that bothered about pens though, just stocked up one year worth of makeup and toiletries.
    and for the girls, maybe one year worth of pads too.

things like printer and rice cooker and kettle, buy in uk. the price isn't that much different.
    in my opinion, as long as they can work for one year, then its fine, cheaper the better.
    one year later, u might want to throw it away , or if u are lucky, sell it to someone else.
    the money u pay for it to be lug back to sg through cargo, u can buy a new set when u get back for the oncoming year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhforever)
    Suddenly, Manchester seems like shopping heaven when I read your post.
    Manchester IS a shopping heaven, maybe not as good as London, but it is good.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    I spent less than 6,500 pounds last year. .
    That is absolutely crazy!!!!! Please don't tell me you sustained yourself with a loaf of bread and a few litres of tap water a day in your room!

Oh another question to all, what's your budget per week? Mine's less than 50 pounds considering the fact that my accom is catered!
    I truly have no idea, but they (the visa people) said a 1000 pounds per month in London, including accommodation...... I think that is on the higher end, so 50 might work out. Are you talking about London?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    Manchester IS a shopping heaven, maybe not as good as London, but it is good.
    Apologies for my absolute ignorance, but from what others have mentioned, don't things close at like 5 in Manchester?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I literally rofled when I read this.

Yea going to get a backpack then! It'll be easier to travel around! Heh heh! I'll be getting stationary here I think.

Other than that, clothes...
    I think we could buy laundry stuff there ?

What else is there.... Hmmm
    Yeah, get clothes...... and elsewise, you should get clothes!

I personally find it an amazing opportunity to have a shopping spree of my life (I am a guy, and that means I went little and less shopping in the last 20 years of my life than an average "person"). In fact, I have never purchased so many clothes in such a short duration time. And, I must say, I now understand why girls love it so much!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i've heard that the quality of pens aren't that good in uk. so if u want your gel-roller magic ink non-stop non leak marvelous whatever particular brand pens, better to stock up in sg first.
    i am not that bothered about pens though, just stocked up one year worth of makeup and toiletries.
    and for the girls, maybe one year worth of pads too.

things like printer and rice cooker and kettle, buy in uk. the price isn't that much different.
    in my opinion, as long as they can work for one year, then its fine, cheaper the better.
    one year later, u might want to throw it away , or if u are lucky, sell it to someone else.
    the money u pay for it to be lug back to sg through cargo, u can buy a new set when u get back for the oncoming year.
    I think it's a torture to handwrite an essay without this: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Rolling-.../dp/B000FNAYYE

That, of course, is just me

ReputationRep:
    most ppl dont lug their stuff back to sg. they leave it with friends or put them in their new houses or put in storage. that way one does not have to buy a whole new set again.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ofssinfoxes;39168953]That is absolutely crazy!!!!! Please don't tell me you sustained yourself with a loaf of bread and a few litres of tap water a day in your room!

no. like i said. uk is cheaper than sg. however incongruous it might be

edit: i am not in london. i am in the north of england

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.