Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow Singaporeans. I am going to be going to Singapore tomorrow and I am wondering is 1200$ enough for two weeks out there? I have accommodation already with my friends and grand parents but for like shopping i guess and sight seeing is it?

Also plan on having hawker food a lot! Miss the local cuisine.

Been a long time so not sure how much things cost there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Hello fellow Singaporeans. I am going to be going to Singapore tomorrow and I am wondering is 1200$ enough for two weeks out there? I have accommodation already with my friends and grand parents but for like shopping i guess and sight seeing is it?

Also plan on having hawker food a lot! Miss the local cuisine.

Been a long time so not sure how much things cost there.
    Hey there! Should be alright , travelling via mrt/bus should cost around 50 for 2 weeks if you travel all over the place , food should cost no more than 20 per day if you are just eating hawker centre , restaurants should cost about 3 times of that..so unless you are buying branded stuff or other expensive things, $600 a week should be fine .

Just my opinion of course (: have fun! And enjoy the food ~

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Any Singaporean currently studying in Warwick? Care to share about the environment there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elenahoyy)
    Any Singaporean currently studying in Warwick? Care to share about the environment there?
    It's a nice place. Low cost of living (compared to London). You might want to talk with the Singapore Society to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amritsg)
    ​Hi guys, wanted to know my chances at some UK universities for Law.
    Had taken 4H2s and got AAAB.

Have a strong CCA background, with participation & recognition in Law-related competitions as well as internships.

Got straight As during 'O' Levels with 7A1s and 1A2.

Looking towards schools like:
    LSE
    UCL
    (Very strong desire for these two choices above)
    KCL
    Durham
    Any other recommendations.

I understand LNAT is another requirement for some of those colleges but above that can my grades qualify me for these colleges?

What other things are essential to boost my application opportunities?

Thanks in advance.

studying law year 2 at lse now, i think you stand a good chance at UCL if you score fairly well at the LNAT, but LSE seems to be looking for straight As for A levels (I got AAAA for 4H2, my friend who got AAAB was rejected). stellar O level grades are certainly a plus too, while I heard that UCL consider O level grades less, but dont quote me on this.

there is certainly a correlation here, but I would say you stand a chance if you write a good personal statement, with extracurricular occupying 25% and more importantly, you have to show them why you think you can cope with law at university level (motivation, drive, ambition, future career aims).

good luck! (with the 2 years of NS first, if you're serving the country - it's a really dreadful wait!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malefucius)
    How about workload? I heard it's easier to get a first in UCL because the marking is more lenient and the students are less kiasu (competitive) than NUS. Is that true?
    my friends are studying at UCL law now. they have tutorial classes once every fortnight per subject, for one hour each, and two hours of lecture per subject each week. there are a total of 4 subjects each academic year, and lectures are not compulsory. so technically, you have 2 hours of school a week if you do the barest minimum. even at the maximum level, you go to school 10 hours a week. most of the time you will be studying alone, or touring europe with your friends, depending on what kind of grades you're targeting. getting a first is by no means relative to your classmates, if you hit 70 for the objective marking criteria, you will not be bell-curve adjusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londondream)
    studying law year 2 at lse now, i think you stand a good chance at UCL if you score fairly well at the LNAT, but LSE seems to be looking for straight As for A levels (I got AAAA for 4H2, my friend who got AAAB was rejected). stellar O level grades are certainly a plus too, while I heard that UCL consider O level grades less, but dont quote me on this.

there is certainly a correlation here, but I would say you stand a chance if you write a good personal statement, with extracurricular occupying 25% and more importantly, you have to show them why you think you can cope with law at university level (motivation, drive, ambition, future career aims).

good luck! (with the 2 years of NS first, if you're serving the country - it's a really dreadful wait!)
    Thanks for the reply.
    Congrats on your place in lse, honestly one of my dream schools.

So as to be as realistic as possible, with my o level grades. LSE is out of the picture?

Another question I wanted to ask was about your application process,

How did you sign up for the LNAT? And for fairly well you mean 27 and above?
    As well as , how did you go about your UCAS application? Was it through your school or outside? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody in UCL?

I would really like to find out more about how its like

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone from Singapore is studying Optometry in UK? Would be glad to make friends

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the average A Level profile of successful applicants to specifically Oxford's PPE course? I'm intending to apply later this year for deferred entry in 2015 and would appreciate any specific info or help I could get in boosting my chances.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Another one having a hard time deciding between UCL law and NUS law here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dekonig)
    Another one having a hard time deciding between UCL law and NUS law here

NUS is cheaper...but i think gg overseas will open your eyes more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowbrickroad)
    NUS is cheaper...but i think gg overseas will open your eyes more.
    Well, cash isn't a huge problem. I've been leaning towards going for various reasons, guess I just need some more time to contemplate..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here looking for an internship?

Daimler internships
    • Marketing & Sales
    • Aftersales
    • Finance & Controlling
    • Treasury
    • Regional Logistics Business
    • Information Technology Management
    • Headquarter functions
    • Credit Risk Management
    • PMO & Processes
    • IT Controlling
    • HR
    • Insurance
    • Compliance
    • Controlling & Finance
    Daimler > Arbeiten bei Daimler > Im Studium > Praktikum > Praktikum weltweit > Asien > Singapore - Daimler South East Asia Pte. Ltd.
    Daimler > Arbeiten bei Daimler > Im Studium > Praktikum > Praktikum weltweit > Asien > Daimler Financial Services Asia Pacific

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here looking for a job?

CAReer Trainee in Finance and Controlling (Daimler South East Asia Pte. Ltd.)
    http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=5434096

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowbrickroad)
    Anybody in UCL?

I would really like to find out more about how its like
    I'm in UCL, but UCL school of pharmacy. I can help you out if you have questions though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is a notice for any Singaporeans joining King's College London in the academic year 2013/14. Please join the freshers' group (at the link below) for information about pre-departure talks, orientation and other events! Thank you!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/153342148160924/

ReputationRep:
    Who is around Central London and is Singaporean? I just arrived a couple of hours ago, and I am quite lost as to where to go. I have an apartment near Hyde Park.

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to Bristol University this sept? is there any fb page ard?

ReputationRep:
    Heylo fellow singaporeans!

I am wondering if any of you all are planning to go for a summer festival? Its summer and the days are so long and beautiful!..

I am eyeing the yahoo wireless festival 14/7/13. abit ex.. but it is in the newly opened atmospheric Olympic park - with JT and Jz!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.