Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quite amazing actually, we've hit 20 pages of crap! Bravo everyone! Special thanks to Knogle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Quite amazing actually, we've hit 20 pages of crap! Bravo everyone! Special thanks to Knogle. :rolleyes:
    I didn't do anything!

(other than ask you to start this thread. )

ReputationRep:
    Special thanks to Knogle. :rolleyes:
    Special thanks but no thanks you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)
    Knogle: Which year were you from? do you know ziyang/max from imperial or michelle from LSE? We went for a london trip recently during the june hols and met a lot of seniors...a lot of SC people end up in london from what i notice...
    I know both Max and Michelle (to some extent) actually! Not very many end up in London, but you're right to say that a decent number of councillors do end up studying overseas. Anyway, what kind of ridiculous observation was that?! How many councillors do you know in London?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.. nice to meet you all as well

Lol.. the everlasting tj vs vj rivalry...

Nutter:Thanks for the advice on the UCAS application form for oxbridge..will take note of that!

Knogle: Which year were you from? do you know ziyang/max from imperial or michelle from LSE? We went for a london trip recently during the june hols and met a lot of seniors...a lot of SC people end up in london from what i notice...

Haha.one major draw to UK for a lot of people in my class is that we can go all over europe- france spain italy for super cheap prices during holidays.. and one economics undergrad from LSE told us that it's basically six months of school only for her course.. and she has a 14 hour week! And london is super fun. BUT THE FOOD is super expensive..
    I'm from the 03/04 VJ batch. =] Yep I know Max & Mich. Haha whether you go to London has nothing to do with whether you're in the SC!

Like alvin said, you should start thinking NOW about doing medicine at NUS or another uni like Oxford and Imperial. Alvin chose NUS.... and i probably wouldn't have. But then again, medicine is a calling by nature to some. :dontknow:

I have a friend doing med at Imperial. Need to know anything from him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life_rockz)
    (I refuse to stoop to juvenile levels of unfounded rivalry. *sniffs.)
    :hahaha: :toofunny:

*feels evil* ;mario; :chicken:

(DISCLAIMER: i'm not really evil! i'm just messing with her. )

ReputationRep:
    Hey.. thanks for the replies everyone!..

Alvin: The disruption factor is for NS right?. So if i apply to UK unis, i'll have to apply after i get my A levels/ or do i apply after one year in NS?

Nutter/ Knogle: Oh that's great.. you both know them.. haha.. michelle brought my group to a shisha place around chinatown area.. but max was with another group.. HAHA.. we found out that he started the uncle mayo thingy(VJ in-joke)i think there's a video of his "confession"..Lol.. about the sc thing. I made that observation as when we visited Imperial, LSE, and UCL in London.. and the alumni who received us at UCL and Imperial and some at LSE were a lot of SC ppl..

Life_rockz: haha..don't worry... i have nothing against TJ.. lol.. though my friend is still seething over losing to TJ for debate..

What's the quota for International Students in Medicine for Imperial? I think it's 40-50 but i'm not very sure.. though i know 7.5 percent of each batch is reserved for internationals..
    Is the course for imperial and NUS like very different?..on the whole i got the impression that UK medicine is more hospital work...with a fair amount of theory also.. but i get the impression that NUS med places a lot of emphasis on the theory bit.. at least for the first three years

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the Medicine syllabus in the UK but I do know that they have 3 years of very intensive studying (pre-clinicals) and 3 years of more practical work, which may or may not be done in the same institution as the first 3 years. I'm sure others, like Alvin, would be in a better position to answer though! You're right though - there's a cap of 7.5% for international students on all Medicine courses across the country. A word of caution: I've read that despite the quota of 7.5%, Oxford in particular usually only has about 4.5% of its medics who're from overseas. I don't know why exactly, but this seems to be unique to Oxford only. And surely the courses in the UK/Singapore can't be THAT different - after all, you're expected to be able to help the same patients and cure the same illnesses after the entire course.

Did the lot of you managed to squeeze in a trip to Oxbridge? Most will visit London universities because they're relatively close to each other, but I think it's such a pity if you didn't manage to visit Oxbridge! Oxford's just over an hour away by coach I believe, so it's not too bad. I did visit Oxford on a school educational trip (in secondary school) and the memories have still lingered till now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

We visited
    -London
    -Stratford
    -Oxford
    -Warwick.

I loved oxford. but we didn't go to cambridge though. I think i like Jesus and Christchurch college. and i forgot the name of that college but it was made of beige stone, and had a huge perfect lawn in front of it... i also loved that college.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes. NUS is fairly theoretical and preclinicals are 2 years only. I would still recommend that you go to Oxbridge or Imperial Medical Schools as they give you the international recognition should you want to scoot away later on, but bear in mind that the cost of education for medicine is incredibly high, unless of course you're filthy rich and money is no object.

However, do note that in most UK medical schools, they do their preclinicals at one uni then move on to another one for the clinicals. Many cambridge medics go to London or Oxford as there are limited places at Addenbroke's for clinicals.

And if you CANNOT stand NS, well, NUS is an option as well.

For me, I'm hoping to specialize overseas or do a PhD at Cambridge (Still want to go there badly). At least PhDs are highly subsidized affairs, unlike what certain scholarship organisation make them out to be.

Edit: Oh, there seem to be a fair lot of Singaporeans going to Cambridge for Medicine, so I guess it's not THAT hard after all.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Oh, there seem to be a fair lot of Singaporeans going to Cambridge for Medicine, so I guess it's not THAT hard after all.
    Definitely seems easier to read Medicine at Cambridge instead of Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Definitely seems easier to read Medicine at Cambridge instead of Oxford.
    Perhaps. Or maybe the people at Oxford are more xenophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Well they do only have 4.5% of their medics coming from overseas (despite the quota of 7.5%), so I suppose that'd explain something! I refuse to believe that the quality of international applicants is poorer than that of home students. Just doesn't add up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    Well they do only have 4.5% of their medics coming from overseas (despite the quota of 7.5%), so I suppose that'd explain something! I refuse to believe that the quality of international applicants is poorer than that of home students. Just doesn't add up.
    Can't blame them for medicine either. Medicine is to train doctors for the benefit of the British community.

ReputationRep:
    Can't blame them for medicine either. Medicine is to train doctors for the benefit of the British community.
    Yes, no denying that, but that's precisely why the government set a quota in the first place (no such quota exists for other courses). Also, alot of resources are spent on training a doctor. The fact that Oxford uses barely half of the assigned quota though, is reason for question. Anyone keen on writing to the Admissions Office to ask them about this? Although I'm pretty sure that the reply would be a very predictable one along the lines of meritocracy and better home-based applicants. Anyhow, it doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

i guess maybe cambridge should take over the oxford option i guess.. "discussed" it with my dad previously... and he said maybe if we could go to U.K we can visit cambridge and see how it is there... the photos look amazing though.. and from some videos i have seen... it's actually just like oxford.. Personally i would appreciate an overseas higher education as i feel that having the experience of going overseas and living independently and fending for yourself will give me invaluable life skills.. plus i enjoy travelling. Am i right to assume there are no overseas medical scholarships?. i've searched high and low and the scholarships for NUS medicine are like the tip top.. like President's scholar and SAF.

Alvin: Good luck with your app!. hope you get it...Which subject are you specializing in? is the scholarship organisation A Star?. lol. I think i would finish my NS before i go though.

I'm currently in biology olympiad, doing research at NUS during the hols.. and i'm doing a community service project.. does this seem like a good start?

About the quota.. what is NUS's quota on foreign medical students? Is it 7.5% as well?. I have the feeling that the quota is like 20 percent or something, if you know about the complaints that some Singaporeans are voicing out in the forums... I personally think a more international and cosmopolitan environment is good for a university..

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

i guess maybe cambridge should take over the oxford option i guess.. "discussed" it with my dad previously... and he said maybe if we could go to U.K we can visit cambridge and see how it is there... the photos look amazing though.. and from some videos i have seen... it's actually just like oxford.. Personally i would appreciate an overseas higher education as i feel that having the experience of going overseas and living independently and fending for yourself will give me invaluable life skills.. plus i enjoy travelling. Am i right to assume there are no overseas medical scholarships?. i've searched high and low and the scholarships for NUS medicine are like the tip top.. like President's scholar and SAF.

Alvin: Good luck with your app!. hope you get it...Which subject are you specializing in? is the scholarship organisation A Star?. lol. I think i would finish my NS before i go though.

I'm currently in biology olympiad, doing research at NUS during the hols.. and i'm doing a community service project.. does this seem like a good start?

About the quota.. what is NUS's quota on foreign medical students? Is it 7.5% as well?. I have the feeling that the quota is like 20 percent or something, if you know about the complaints that some Singaporeans are voicing out in the forums... I personally think a more international and cosmopolitan environment is good for a university..

The thing is that the limit of NUS's attraction is the SEA Region. Places where the unis are suckier than ours. All that NUS Biz school adverts are rubbish. No way anyone is going to turn down Sloan and Wharton for bloody NUS - Yes. Even if you have to pay through your nose, starve for a year or 2.

If you're going to apply for medicine, it's good if you have hospital attachments under your belt. What they are looking for is real-world experience, not some mis-construed romantic notion of what medicine is going to be like. And real doctors have far less sex than they show in Grey's Anatomy. :p:

I was also in bio olympiad (got a silver for SBO, hope u get into IBO), I think it's good to have but not essential. Same goes for research unless you want to apply for a science degree ala Natural Sciences.

And yea, there are (virtually) no sponsorships for overseas medicine, too expensive and does not yield much for the organisation. I think a rough estimate would be half a million? Which is pretty damn lot. Imagine you did your medicine degree here in sg, the rest of money you can buy like 2 Mercedes.

No matter, a good education cannot be quantified in dollars and cents.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Meanwhile, still apply for NUS Med, just in case you want out from Army.

Edit: Oh, for foreign doctors, we don't really have to let them train here, we're already letting them in by the battalions. From India Philippines and what have you. For my batch, there are quite a few malaysians.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that the limit of NUS's attraction is the SEA Region. Places where the unis are suckier than ours. All that NUS Biz school adverts are rubbish. No way anyone is going to turn down Sloan and Wharton for bloody NUS - Yes. Even if you have to pay through your nose, starve for a year or 2.
    Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHvb...elated&search= ! :rofl: That's one great video.

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

Alvin: Thanks for the advice.. i'm doing a day hospital attachment during my helmsman week(it's a week every term set aside for enrichment programmes) and will probably be embarking on hospital attachments every holiday from this december holiday onwards. btw, i was also from SJAB, but i quit because i had to leave my sec school for VJ.

Lol. you read my mind. I love to watch grey's anatomy, basically the only two shows i watch on TV now(cos i'm super busy during weekdays) is CSI and Grey's Anatomy.

basically i'm in the IP which means i skip o levels and take a levels directly, and for a levels i'll most probably be taking bio chem maths and econs, and i'll probably opt for higher level(H3) bio, if my mid year JC1 results are good.

Nutter/Alvin: HAHA. the ad is just the same ad.. except with major twist!. and you're right... even i as a singaporean would never turn down Upenn or MIT. Oh and i heard this is shot in woodlands and the girl is from Singapore American School. After this ad was shown, i think a lot of NUS-bashing took place, not only towards the biz school but also the other facs. cos actually for some people, NUS biz is like the last resort. If this was actually shown in the States, I would probably never go back there again for fear of being lynched or smth. lol

(*Warning: Marketing moment) Lol. If any of you happen to be in Singapore, do drop by the charity carnival i'm organising in VJC, on the 2 Sep 2006. I'm doing this project under Citibank and YMCA. It's for the Singapore action group of elders and the funds will go directly into funding their activites such as an employment centre, counselling centre, and their recreational activities. (Okay: Marketing done)

My friends and i were discussing whether SC accompanied with one good cca and good results and basically a ticket to scholarships and good universities. I said yes, if you look at RJ and VJ and HC SC, like a whole truckload of them would get the best scholarships/ or enter the good overseas unis. Is there any counterargument for this?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so you're still a J1? You have plenty of time to go before you apply!

I should warn you that if you're applying overseas, check whether the university/college you're applying to allows you to defer your application for 2 years. Yep, very important. I know many people who applied when they were in J2, and they were only allowed to defer their offer by 1 year. They had to reapply again... which defeats the whole point of applying early (well you do get some valuable experience, but still). I think alvin has a list of Cambridge colleges which allow you to defer for 2 years. As far as I know, no Oxford college allows this. Not too sure about the other universities...

p.s. You need to defer your offer by 2 years because of NS... just in case you forgot. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.