Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just curious, has Physics Chemistry Economics and Math always been the popular subj combination? my cohort has like 90/119 people wanting to do this exact combination.
    I took it, and I loved it! I suppose doing PCME opens up the most options at university.. especially useful for those who haven't made up their minds on what course to major in at uni. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    My school had a greater no of people doing double maths double science. But a lot of them dropped fm after jc1 n did 3 As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    Literature is for the insecure. :vroam: :p:
    Hey, I resent that! :hmpf: I took A-level Literature and it was my favourite subject. You just don't know what you're missing.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I just could never get Literature. Boy was I glad to drop it after Sec 2. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi...

Lit- Sigh, it's been really fun reading really interesting texts like enduring love by ian mcewan, macbeth and all those prose passages... but i just can't seem to get good marks for it!. argh pragmatism takes over.

PCME?. hm. I'm planning to take BCME actually. i kinda prefer bio, i just think i enjoy writing words instead of numbers.

feanor: which jc did you come from?. raffles?..

hm. need some advice.

my cohort's feeling a bit angsty at the moment, and we're all worried we can't get what we want after A levels, with some worried we won't do well in JCs, and some like frantically trying to polish their CCA record with achievements the next two years... coming up with gameplans and everything... is this just a passing phase? or will this kind of stress pervade my whole JC life from now on... i really hope it is. (that it's a passing phase, of course)

ReputationRep:
    BCME? Most. demanding. (science) subject. combination. ever. Or so I hear. But if you're genuinely interested, go for it!

Hmmm, I don't think very many people thought about their future prospects while in JC, at least for my batch. There were a few who tried to make their CCA record sparkle, but none I know actually succeeded at doing so without genuine passion and interest for whatever they were doing. I don't think being part of the VIP is going to hurt you one bit as far as getting scholarships is concerned.... because agencies recognise that you have to be pretty darn bright to even qualify for the programme at the first place.

You don't need to have an amazing CCA record to secure a scholarship. Make sure you focus on your personal character development and social relationships... I think those get you very far, too. I know of many scholars who were only part of 1/2 CCAs, yet commanded the respect of many simply because of the way carried themselves.

Well, that's my two cents. CCAs are an important part of JC life, but don't do them just for the sake of it. Prioritising is key, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    BCME? Most. demanding. (science) subject. combination. ever. Or so I hear. But if you're genuinely interested, go for it!

Hmmm, I don't think very many people thought about their future prospects while in JC, at least for my batch. There were a few who tried to make their CCA record sparkle, but none I know actually succeeded at doing so without genuine passion and interest for whatever they were doing. I don't think being part of the VIP is going to hurt you one bit as far as getting scholarships is concerned.... because agencies recognise that you have to be pretty darn bright to even qualify for the programme at the first place.

You don't need to have an amazing CCA record to secure a scholarship. Make sure you focus on your personal character development and social relationships... I think those get you very far, too. I know of many scholars who were only part of 1/2 CCAs, yet commanded the respect of many simply because of the way carried themselves.

Well, that's my two cents. CCAs are an important part of JC life, but don't do them just for the sake of it. Prioritising is key, I suppose.
    Yeah..i think what you said makes sense. do things because of your passion and drive for it and not just for the sake of gaining "points". and interpersonal relations, as well as your character, ultimately matter more in life than a few awards/accolades you won during JC..

Thanks for the advice!. haha. really needed someone who's been through the system recently to say something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)
    Yeah..i think what you said makes sense. do things because of your passion and drive for it and not just for the sake of gaining "points". and interpersonal relations, as well as your character, ultimately matter more in life than a few awards/accolades you won during JC..

Thanks for the advice!. haha. really needed someone who's been through the system recently to say something like this.
    of course, that's not to say that a few accolades will hurt your chances. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    of course, that's not to say that a few accolades will hurt your chances. :p:
    Yep I should add that as a caveat..... in this age of competition where every distinct achievement counts, many people sometimes do things just for the sake of their CV. I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se, but you should definitely watch how far you go with this motivation. Don't be too results-oriented if you have to sacrifice other personal values and priorities.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about passion, purpose and drive :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life_rockz)
    It's all about passion, purpose and drive :p:
    ^o)

Since when were you a philosopher? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing something you truly enjoy you won't be thinking so much about the points. I think that if you do something you're truly passionate about you'll be committed to it, and eventually take up important leadership roles in the CCAs you're in. This will give you the good CCA record that you want but it won't be so much of a chore. You won't think of it as doing things that look good on your CCA record, but rather, doing things that you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sangoire)
    If you're doing something you truly enjoy you won't be thinking so much about the points. I think that if you do something you're truly passionate about you'll be committed to it, and eventually take up important leadership roles in the CCAs you're in. This will give you the good CCA record that you want but it won't be so much of chore. You won't think of it as doing things that look good on your CCA record, but rather, doing things that you enjoy.

That's true as well....

thanks for the replies everyone!. haha..(outpouring of mature advice that comes with experience)

ReputationRep:
    That's true as well....

thanks for the replies everyone!. haha..(outpouring of mature advice that comes with experience)
    We're just pretending. :ninja: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do think that the CCAs don't count in uk universities.. I have seen many people in my school who got into Oxbridge because they're either good or passionate about the subject, i'm just going to focus on reading beyond what is required..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the ceiling)
    I do think that the CCAs don't count in uk universities.. I have seen many people in my school who got into Oxbridge because they're either good or passionate about the subject, i'm just going to focus on reading beyond what is required..
    I think that's definitely true to a certain extent..saw somewhere that "extra curricular activites are not factored into the admissions process", but my CT advised that subject specific accolades are definitely useful(useful, but not essential), e.g if you want to do natural sciences/ life sciences, SSEF/ISEF, science olympiads, H3 papers would indicate that you have a certain amount of passion for that subject.

That said, i think oxbridge does look more at the amount of interest and aptitude you have for the subject more than CCAs and random achievements, and that can definitely be seen and judged from the U.K interview process.

It's just that my parents want me to keep my options open for US universities as well, as i took my SAT 1 last year..retaking either this dec or next
    jan/feb.

oh btw how old are you?.

ReputationRep:
    Knogle: Oh yes.. Help me send regards to those from VJ studying there now...on behalf on my cohort... especially those who brought us around London. Hmm... are you leaving soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the ceiling)
    Yep - for Oxbridge, CCAs = minimal importance. Except very relevant and significant ones. But you're better off spending your time expanding your knowledge through extensive reading and what not.

But again, you're doing CCAs not just for university admission, yes? You want to derive certain intangible personal gains, character development, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Knogle: Oh yes.. Help me send regards to those from VJ studying there now...on behalf on my cohort... especially those who brought us around London. Hmm... are you leaving soon?
    Soon? I have an entire year to go (September 2007)! I'll have about 9-10 months to bum around in between though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Soon? I have an entire year to go (September 2007)! I'll have about 9-10 months to bum around in between though. :p:
    haha.. icic... what do you plan to do in those 9-10 months?. haha come back to be a relief teacher!

haha... i'm always amused/amazed by those incredibly smart year 3s /seniors who come back to do relief teaching for a while before leaving overseas.
    -they already dress like teachers in their 20s
    -they still remember their a level stuff/content

omg. i just found out michelle is a MAS scholar!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.