The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Anyone caught Singapore Idol? :biggrin: I thought Hady was the stronger singer overall! When both of them sang 'You Give Me Wings', it was pretty clear that Hady's rendition was way better. I think him going second worked in his favour. But Jon has more potential to become a regional singer, and I especially liked his rendition of Dreamz FM's 'Should I Stay'. His whole 'i support local music' thing might just be an act, but he did a darn good job at it!

The results show tomorrow will be interesting, to say the least. It's been an excellent season overall.

p.s. val: VJ's choir sang today. Where's TJ? :p:
Reply 881
Why is this thread stuck in the middle of the page?! Shockhorror!

VJchoir has a permanent fixture on Singapore Idol. Bah.

No I didn't catch it but heard that Hady did better overall, I think both are pretty talented and of much better quality than last season's finalists so i didn't really care who won.
haha. VJ choir does us proud..

oh anyway... anyone has good links to

-proper social science journals on globalisation and its impact on social, cultural and political entities?

Or credible articles pertaining to
-discrimination by race, gender and class
-arguments for and against affirmative action
-arguments for and against meritocracy

help would be much appreciated!. it's for my EOY preparation for essay.
Reply 883
acezhiquan
haha. VJ choir does us proud..

oh anyway... anyone has good links to

-proper social science journals on globalisation and its impact on social, cultural and political entities?

Or credible articles pertaining to
-discrimination by race, gender and class
-arguments for and against affirmative action
-arguments for and against meritocracy

help would be much appreciated!. it's for my EOY preparation for essay.

there was an economist article not long ago on gender discrimination in the japanese workplace.
I don't know about the choir, but I'm in Cambridge whooooooop :p: Tis pretty. And cold.Pretty cold.
Reply 885
life_rockz
I don't know about the choir, but I'm in Cambridge whooooooop :p: Tis pretty. And cold.Pretty cold.

That could only mean one thing -

WE DEMAND PICTURES! :biggrin:
Reply 886
Nutter
That could only mean one thing -

WE DEMAND PICTURES! :biggrin:

I second that!
soonalvin
there was an economist article not long ago on gender discrimination in the japanese workplace.

Thanks!

I expect cambridge to be nice as well..... university towns usually are very nice.... sigh..... ok... 11 more days to freedom!
Reply 888
cambridge is supposed to be really pretty.
Reply 889
Zinc11
cambridge is supposed to be really pretty.

Not the most revolutionary statement around buddy! :wink:

(I'm sure it is!)
Reply 890
the thing is oxford is supposed is be pretty too but its not. at least not to be. a wasted 3hours 'detour' i took to see a average looking oxford.
Reply 891
Zinc11
the thing is oxford is supposed is be pretty too but its not. at least not to be. a wasted 3hours 'detour' i took to see a average looking oxford.

By the same measure, you say Cambridge is supposed to be really pretty, when it may actually not be.

In fact, beauty is subjective. :wink: We all know that!

Finetune those expectations and we'll all be good again.
Reply 892
the point of using the word 'supposed' is to express the idea that it is not fact. the point of using a personal example is to give the idea a connection. I was giving my opinion. I did say 'not to me' although the 'me' turned out as 'be' because of a typo.

beauty and pretty is two different matters. when i say a place is pretty i mean that it looks good to the eye. when i talk about beauty i'm talking about the life of the place. eg. Fullerton is pretty, but Toa Payoh Central is beautiful.
Reply 893
Zinc11
the point of using the word 'supposed' is to express the idea that it is not fact. the point of using a personal example is to give the idea a connection. I was giving my opinion. I did say 'not to me' although the 'me' turned out as 'be' because of a typo.

beauty and pretty is two different matters. when i say a place is pretty i mean that it looks good to the eye. when i talk about beauty i'm talking about the life of the place. eg. Fullerton is pretty, but Toa Payoh Central is beautiful.

Now now, no need to get so defensive dude! No one was attacking you!

Well that's ONE way of defining "supposed", but it could also be used to describe an entity/characteristic which you have not or cannot personally confirm yourself i.e. based on hearsay only, which may or may not be true.

And it's rather odd that you use "beatiful" to describe the life of the place and expect us to infer that (when one would be reasonably expected to deduce that you're referring to the physical attributes of something), but whatever floats your boat. :smile:
Reply 894
lol. it always make me laugh when people try to interpret my attitude over the internet.

i expect people to know the difference between pretty and beautiful but i guess reality falls short of expectation. i forget that it takes effort just to understand what someone else say and mean and that effort has to be magnified over the internet where tone and facial expressions, among other, no longer contribute.
Reply 895
Zinc11
lol. it always make me laugh when people try to interpret my attitude over the internet.

i expect people to know the difference between pretty and beautiful but i guess reality falls short of expectation.

Yeah, sometimes you do have to moderate expectations to something more associated with the social norm. :smile: It's the internet we're talking about, after all.

And there wasn't much to interpret actually; it was rather clear cut if you ask me. But yet again, if you insist!
Reply 896
lol. i'm guessing thats the difference between me and you. i'm more then willing to admit my mistake in my original statement regarding the look of cambridge then oxford.

however, for my attitude over the interent, i'm certain that only I know how I feel. So I must insist that you have misterpreted my attitude.
Reply 897
... right!
Uhhh yes. Cool it, kids. :p:

Any my mama always told me not to send my photos to strangers :biggrin:
Reply 899
lol.. sure thing pal.

so you enjoying cambridge/surroundings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending