Singapore Kopitiam Watch

kath123
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
wahh cambridge is quite nice rite! it gives me sorta dreamy feeling of a country side with vast pastures. *image image* but much less malls and shopping places than oxford. tho oxford has a lot less greenery n more OLD super OLD AND YELLOW AND RUSTY OLD BUILDINGS. hows e college life n all? selwyn college looks like a nice place with big beautiful gardens rite? tell us more!*GRIN*
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm.. general question about applications again...

For entry criteria to U.K universities, do they place more emphasis on your O levels or your current JC ranking/results and predicted A level results?...also..what does the teacher reference comprise of?
Nutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by acezhiquan)
Hmmm.. general question about applications again...

For entry criteria to U.K universities, do they place more emphasis on your O levels or your current JC ranking/results and predicted A level results?...also..what does the teacher reference comprise of?
Your A Level grades (actual/predicted) definitely plays a more important role because it is a more recent/current indicator of your academic ability. Or at least your ability to commit yourself to the rote memorising of facts. That's not to say that O Level grades can be completely discounted though - they do matter as well.

Teacher's reference is largely just your testimonial - about your personality, character, attitude etc. I think mine was just cut/paste from my actual testimonial, with an additional sentence or two at the end. I saw my reference after getting really nosy/inquisitive and paying UCAS 10 pounds (hence demanding my application details) under the Data Protection Act.
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
Nutter: Thanks for the advice!. appreciate it!
life_rockz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Haha yes, I'm loving it here. Freshers week was a blast, I did NOT get wasted, but for those of you whose inclinations lie that way, there was plenty of opportunity. Selwyn College is pretty, but in my (highly biased) opinion, you can't do better than Trinity. Heh.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by life_rockz)
Haha yes, I'm loving it here. Freshers week was a blast, I did NOT get wasted, but for those of you whose inclinations lie that way, there was plenty of opportunity. Selwyn College is pretty, but in my (highly biased) opinion, you can't do better than Trinity. Heh.
We've said this before and we'll say it again:

PICTURES!

:mad: :p:
kath123
Report 13 years ago
oww heard year 1 is party year n drinkin is a must but i'm not too interested in it ;p i'm guai he he. how bout pembroke college? is it nice?
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
how many hours drive is cambridge away from London?. if i'm lucky i'll be able to talk my parents into going to England for christmas, and i want to see those perfect buildings and lawns of cambridge!

oh and does anyone know how much the Grey's anatomy DVD(season 1 and 2) costs in singapore? i think it's around 60 but i'm not sure.. though i know amazon sells it for US 17.87 and 30 plus dollars.
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
download? heh heh.
am into season 3 already... it's just soooooo addictive.
medical dramas... meh.
the ceiling
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by acezhiquan)
how many hours drive is cambridge away from London?. if i'm lucky i'll be able to talk my parents into going to England for christmas, and i want to see those perfect buildings and lawns of cambridge!
Its about an hour an a half drive from London. But there is a straight bus from Heathrow to Cambridge which takes about 2 and a half hours. Do come to Cambridge! Its really pretty.
the ceiling
Report 13 years ago
Thats really cool! I wonder how many Sporeans there are in Cambridge?
If you feel the urge for Chinese food, there are a couple of restaurants but some of them are really bad.
life_rockz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There are 30 plus Singaporean freshers, so loads more if you count the upper years.

avril_elvina: drinking isn't a must, don't buy the lie. I've not touched alcohol since I got here, and I'm having tons of fun. And I feel a lot better than people who DO get wasted, because I CAN remember what I did last night, and I don't get splitting headaches in the morning/risk throwing up in lectures/supervisions. Ask for apple juice. Or coke
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
alvin: lol.. where to download.. any good links...is it legal?. lol. my friends and i went to check and there was no grey's anatomy.. maybe temporarily out of stock... lol.. but desperate housewives costs $99!. argh. i think i'm better off downloading it.

ceiling: oh that's nice... yeah... i'm trying hard to persuade them(parents).. but they hate british winters... maybe i'll try again next year...lol...but some of my seniors who went there for the lit trip said it was super awe-some.... and they said there was more greenery there than oxford.. and some of the buildings are grander as well..
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*taps feet*

Okay, who killed the thread? ^o)

Boy oh boy, I'm beginning to feel it. Emancipation!
Zinc11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
who else have started uni?
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by the ceiling)
Its about an hour an a half drive from London. But there is a straight bus from Heathrow to Cambridge which takes about 2 and a half hours. Do come to Cambridge! Its really pretty.
There's a direct train from King's Cross station. Takes an hour or something (can't rmb). Added bonus being that you get to see platform 9 3/4 and its pet trolley

p.s. I got withdrawal symptoms, alvin
kath123
Report 13 years ago
There are 30 plus Singaporean freshers, so loads more if you count the upper years.

avril_elvina: drinking isn't a must, don't buy the lie. I've not touched alcohol since I got here, and I'm having tons of fun. And I feel a lot better than people who DO get wasted, because I CAN remember what I did last night, and I don't get splitting headaches in the morning/risk throwing up in lectures/supervisions. Ask for apple juice. Or coke
haha yeep i jus went clubbin for e 1st time few daes ago in london wit my fren. felt totally weird! and couldnt stand peeps who smoke. too noisy n not a great place to hang out wit frens i tink. peeps jus seem unreliable there altho ev1 there were hkers in london unis. didnt drink any. thx to ur advice! haha. wouldnt wanna b taken adv of by 'prowlers' out there :P it's jus funny all e hkers ppl i met jus love clubbin n partyin like no one's business... very different from my usual group of frens. and i havent met a single singaporean or indonesian student! wonder where these peeps go...jus feel out of place with e party hk peeps..
CMS
Report 13 years ago
knogle: what on earth are you doing recommending MORSE when you've not done it before and prolly won't apply for it??? just for your info i'm dying from the workload and my econs module is SO NOT econs. i seriously feel like dropping MORSE (and not taking up another course).

otherwise, uni is fun. everything happens at warwick. and yours truly actually cares enough about the country to become the treasurer of singsoc.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CMS)
knogle: what on earth are you doing recommending MORSE when you've not done it before and prolly won't apply for it??? just for your info i'm dying from the workload and my econs module is SO NOT econs. i seriously feel like dropping MORSE (and not taking up another course).

otherwise, uni is fun. everything happens at warwick. and yours truly actually cares enough about the country to become the treasurer of singsoc.
Nobody said the course would be easy, but it's very stimulating and mentally challenging, thereby giving you a rigorous academic experience at university and making every penny you spend on your education worth it.

You may think you're suffering now, but the results and fruits of your labour will convince you otherwise in the future.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CMS)

Nutter hit the nail on the head. Why can't I recommend a course just because it's tough? If anything, that's an indication of the quality of the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (51)
30.54%
No (87)
52.1%
Don't know (29)
17.37%

Watched Threads