The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
I would have done the exact same thing -- picking Maths at Imperial over the DDP offer from NUS you mentioned above. More on this soon!
Knogle
I would have done the exact same thing -- picking Maths at Imperial over the DDP offer from NUS you mentioned above. More on this soon!

okok! waiting for your reply and reason! :smile:
Reply 1002
Hardly a difficult decision if you ask me, especially if you can afford financing your study at Imperial which carries the weight of a global academic institution much like the Ivies. A good degree from Imperial (located in the heart of London, which is important for networking and contact-building purposes especially) will open up many doors, both in terms of employment and post-graduate study. I don't see why you need to commit yourself to MSc Management at NUS when the quantitative degree at Imperial qualifies you for better and more prestigious programmes. After all, you may not even want to enrol in postgrad study if you secure an exceptional job offer upon completion of your BSc.
Reply 1003
Bump. Any Singaporeans around? :smile: Two things:

1) Pre-departure event for UK-bound students by the British Council in Singapore on 11 August: http://www.britishcouncil.org/singapore-educationuk-news-and-events-pre-departure-event-for-uk-bound-students.htmhttp://www.britishcouncil.org/singapore-educationuk-news-and-events-pre-departure-event-for-uk-bound-students.htm.

2) National day on 09 August: http://www.ndp.org.sg/.
Reply 1004
aaaa
Reply 1005
Splus
I got a situation here...

1) BSc in Information Management for Business at UCL
2) BComputing in E-Commerce at NUS

How?

I would think that UCL is way much more better than NUS. But financially I am unable to afford a full 3 year education at UCL.

Hey! Even if you prefer to study at UCL, how do you intend to finance your education? Because if that isn't going to be possible, then there's hardly any point in weighing the two options against each other. I don't think the course at UCL per se is superior to the course at NUS. You'll be paying for the London Brand and Experience.
Reply 1006
aaa
Reply 1007
Splus
But I thought UCL has a much better global recognition than NUS? Not forgetting getting a 1st class honours is much more easier than in NUS.

I probably can fund myself for the first year. Is it feasible to work part-time and take a loan?

Yep - that's what you're paying for. Global recognition, access to better resources and careers, etc. I find it hard to imagine the course itself at UCL being superior to that at NUS.

I know some people who've gone the loan route, and I suppose it can work out if you're really determined and driven.
Reply 1008
aaa
Reply 1009
Splus
I'm sure getting a loan will work. But I'm going to be tied down for a long long time.

What are the expenses like in London? How much do I roughly need per week in terms of pounds?

I have heard of people surviving in London with just S$50k per year, including tuition fees.

In London, expect to spend ~S$65k/yr for a comfortable lifestyle, assuming you drink in limited amounts and are wise with your finances. $50k/yr is definitely doable of your scrim and save, yes.
Reply 1010
aaaa
Reply 1011
Splus
Really? Well if 50K per year is possible... I'm seriously considering going over.

I'm just waiting for UCL to give me some funding, if possible.

Btw, do you sleep? lol!

I must warn you -- it's tight. Very tight. :wink:

And no, I don't sleep. :p:
Reply 1012
aaaa
Reply 1013
how do u input General Paper results into the UCAS system? lol.
Reply 1014
izzityou
how do u input General Paper results into the UCAS system? lol.

You may need to type it in instead of selecting the subject from a drop-down menu.
mm.. i did badly for my GP.. will it hinder my chances for getting in despite the fact that my A levels were okay ?
hailstorm
mm.. i did badly for my GP.. will it hinder my chances for getting in despite the fact that my A levels were okay ?

I don't think UK universities care that much about your GP grade because there is not an equivalent subject in the UK A-level system.
Reply 1017
hailstorm

Probably not, but you might be required to sit for an english proficiency test (e.g. IELTS) once you've secured your offer.
Random question:
Is Singapore’s national language chinese?
- skyhigh
Random question:
Is Singapore’s national language chinese?

No, the national language is Malay. The national anthem is sung in Malay. The commands given in Army use Malay.

The language of administration is English. Other languages like Chinese and Tamil are also used.

Quick Reply

Latest