The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
i know alot of doctors. i mite be able to help u . pm me if u want
Crystalline
Hey people ,

Did any of you have work shadowing opportunities at hospitals or clinics?
I tried calling several hospitals and all of their answers are the same-no job shadowing opportunities available.Im truly distressed by my situation.

I know that most people managed to get e opportunities because they have family members who are doctors as well.

NUH had an official Job Shadowing Programme (I'm not sure if it's still in existence - I did it in 2006). It's only 3 days long though, but you get to trail a consultant around and sit in on clinics, see the ICUs, and see operations (I saw 3 open heart surgeries in those 3 days!).

Don't limit yourself to hospitals - experience in the community is just as valuable, so try looking at polyclinics and GP clinics. There's also care in the community as well - I'm sure various organisations would love it if you'd volunteer! :smile:
yonanz
i know alot of doctors. i mite be able to help u . pm me if u want

had pm you:smile:
Crystalline
medicky things

Also if any of your friends from school have doctor parents (though this is more likely for GP/clinics/non-surgical types) they may be willing to hook you up - in the equivalent of 9th grade (IP 1) we had a Job Shadowing Day at my ex-school and one of my friends got two of us to tag along with her paediatrician mother. I'm no medic but it was enriching and said mother was very helpful + explained things, though this was only for a day but might complement other work experience/community service things?

On a happy note, a friend from SG visited :biggrin: I am now in possession of one bottle of kaya, some spices for bak ku teh, and two boxes of Bee Cheng Hiang bak kwa :coma:
Agneisse
Also if any of your friends from school have doctor parents (though this is more likely for GP/clinics/non-surgical types) they may be willing to hook you up - in the equivalent of 9th grade (IP 1) we had a Job Shadowing Day at my ex-school and one of my friends got two of us to tag along with her paediatrician mother. I'm no medic but it was enriching and said mother was very helpful + explained things, though this was only for a day but might complement other work experience/community service things?

On a happy note, a friend from SG visited :biggrin: I am now in possession of one bottle of kaya, some spices for bak ku teh, and two boxes of Bee Cheng Hiang bak kwa :coma:

I only have a distant friend whose parents are doctors..Hope i managed to contact him. By the way, thanks for the advice !
Bak ku teh is one of my favourite local delicacies as well! ;p
Reply 1225
I was wondering whether anyone have notes on how to study for A level chinese. My chinese abit cmi after so many yrs of not touching it. Was thinking of going local or uk university. Can't decide which to choose. But doing chinese is still important. Anyone have any study guides or tactics to get A ? Thanks.
Hey Crystalline, I volunteered at Assisi Hospice during my summer holiday. Its at Mount Alvernia Hospital. I met a med student from Manchester Uni during some kind of shadowing I believe. You could check that out, but I guess it depends on what part of the medical field you are more interested in. They have a day care for cancer kids, and the rest is a typical hospice. http://assisihospice.org.sg/
hey anyone here/knows anyone studying architecture in UK? :O
People I know doing architecture are in Europe, not UK
Reply 1229
anyone studying Biosciences in University of Birmingham?
wa lao no one has posted in days! asdfasdf
Oracle_163
wa lao no one has posted in days! asdfasdf

How come you did both IB and A levels? Is it because of NS? :frown:
Lifeisnice
How come you did both IB and A levels? Is it because of NS? :frown:

partially! but also do for fun one lol
Oracle_163
partially! but also do for fun one lol

I see. Haha.

You're from ACSi? Hmm... I originally took Further Mathematics in NS, but gave it up due to the tough workload... I was worried I might not be able to get an A due to the lack of time I was able to spend on it. Haha:frown:

What are you planning to study in the UK?:biggrin:
Lifeisnice
I see. Haha.

You're from ACSi? Hmm... I originally took Further Mathematics in NS, but gave it up due to the tough workload... I was worried I might not be able to get an A due to the lack of time I was able to spend on it. Haha:frown:

What are you planning to study in the UK?:biggrin:

yup... Haha talk about tough workload; I'm not sure I may even get an A for the bio paper (results are being released in the next few weeks)... But before that I have never taken biology so its quite a big jump =)

UK- medicine
But how come you can't just use your IB scores? You got like 40 something for it. Haha.
Lifeisnice
But how come you can't just use your IB scores? You got like 40 something for it. Haha.

didn't take biology previously =) in fact, I've never taken bio before until my A's
Haha. I see. Biology isn't necessary to do medicine in Singapore though.
Lifeisnice
Haha. I see. Biology isn't necessary to do medicine in Singapore though.

didn't do physics; wished I did, though..
A levels out today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending