The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
chibiyuki
Hi everyone! I'm in my 2nd year of National Service now and will soon have to trouble over university woes.

I've a place at NUS Law 2011 and UCL Law 2011. Which would be a better choice to take up Law at? NUS Law seems to be reputable 'enough', while UCL Law has (hearsay) lower admission standards from international applicants. Is UCL Law or NUS Law harder to get in to? It's queer having people comment on how I go to the UK to study Law because I'm not qualified to do so in NUS. & that's before they knew I also had a place at NUS Law. Judging by the local consensus on NUS Law's competitiveness, it imprints somewhat an impression UK legal education is far easier to obtain entry to, as opposed to local legal education.

I kinda took KCL out of the equation although they offered me Law there too. That's reasonable, right?

Also, I'm contemplating letting go of my UCL Law place to apply for Cambridge this year. I got rejected from Oxford last year (presumably due to my interview, which was awful I tell you. I screw'd up.). Even if I do retake my LNAT and apply to UCL in addition to Cambridge again, there's a risk I might not get into UCL, even though I did get in before. Any advice from anyone here? :smile:

dude, dont worry

its funny to see people worry over the wrong reasons. you see, you are concerned over the wrong reasons. UCL or NUS, both are reputable enough,. reputation is subjective, there are some who will put UCL higher up in their own personal ranking list, there are others who will NUS. but whatever it is, both UCL and NUS LLB degrees are highly regarded, so your worry here is unfounded.

what you should ask yourself, however, is whether you want to study locally or overseas. this is the important question. the 2nd question is, can you afford an overseas education without compromisng too much?
3rd thing is, have you researched enough about the modules offered, the teaching style of both nus and ucl, the course structure etc? you should talk to both ucl and nus students/graduates to find out more.

these questions, only you can answer yourself. some people forgo an overseas education because they have strong ties here..frens..partners...family..because certian things are too important to forgo. some people cant afford overseas ...

but if these are not problems, then why not? UCL is great, and i personaly know of many people who gave up a place in NUS to read law overseas. plus, i can say for certain; NUS is bound to be more competitive. the workload in local uni is 1.5-2 times that of overseas uni. the amount of modules and school hours is definitely heavier in nus, plus, being in nus with all the kiasu singaporean elite students, you definitely will find it harder to distinguish yourself. of course, on the flip side, its cheaper, its right here at home, convenient, reading law in sg also has its advantage if ur ultimate aim is to come back to singapore and practice, since many local lawyers teach in nus[who themselves graduated from NUS 100 years ago:biggrin:], the local scene is dominated by NUS grads, and the course teaches singapore law, not EU or UK law, and you might feel more comfortable with singaporean couterparts, im not sure about this. do think through this carefully, and all the best ok!
Reply 1861
Octupus
No.. just A level grades :s-smilie:

that's why i am saying UK unis don't care much about UCAS score. so, don't bother to convert it. your A level grades shall have enough say.
Reply 1862
anyone got law offer from KCL with less than AAA?
Reply 1863
gi.
anyone who has a place in KCL going for the Offer Holders' Reception on 8th march?

I got the invite despite holding a 2011 offer. Might be going if Im bored. Haha.
Reply 1864
Helloo! Anyone here planning to take/ on a student loan to study overseas?
chanr
it apears that UK unis don't care much about that. has anyone ever seen an offer with conditions indicated in UCAS score?

Of course none of the unis make their offers in UCAS points to international students like ourselves. Actually Im more concerned with employment at the moment - it seems that most of the reputable firms have a minimum cutoff of 320 UCAS points for their online apps, and according to the UK system, they only take into account the A2 subjects since only they are taken in the final exams, whereas we SGs take so many more other redundant subjects, hence the concern whether our other subjects will affect the scoring. 320 UCAS is abt AAB.
Reply 1866
melsonchun
Of course none of the unis make their offers in UCAS points to international students like ourselves. Actually Im more concerned with employment at the moment - it seems that most of the reputable firms have a minimum cutoff of 320 UCAS points for their online apps, and according to the UK system, they only take into account the A2 subjects since only they are taken in the final exams, whereas we SGs take so many more other redundant subjects, hence the concern whether our other subjects will affect the scoring. 320 UCAS is abt AAB.

im sure they will understand that foreigners have different systems..if not come back sg work lor...

btw did u get offer from kcl? if u did im gona shoot myself for not applying to kcl
yonanz
im sure they will understand that foreigners have different systems..if not come back sg work lor...

btw did u get offer from kcl? if u did im gona shoot myself for not applying to kcl

Haha, the thing is that there is a vast number of possible internships, job opportunities there, that ill shoot myself if i had not gone there prepared, with those as my intentions. ill eventually return to sg for marriage eventually.

KCL is still deliberating hard over my apps.:wink:
Reply 1868
melsonchun
Haha, the thing is that there is a vast number of possible internships, job opportunities there, that ill shoot myself if i had not gone there prepared, with those as my intentions. ill eventually return to sg for marriage eventually.

KCL is still deliberating hard over my apps.:wink:

wahts ur next choiceafter kcl? warwick or bristol?
Hi all,

I've sent my UCAS application on 18 Jan.. but till now I've yet to receive any replies. It's been over a month and I'm getting kinda worried. Should I drop an email to admissions of the respective unis or is this the "normal" application-processing speed?

Thanks so much!
Reply 1870
to: veryhappyfeet

no harm to drop an email to the respective unis, asking for an acknowledgment at least.

ah... in addition to the London unis exhibition this weekend, there will be another UK unis exhibition in Sg:

Date: Saturday 13 March
Times: 11.00-17.00
Venue:
Hilton Hotel
Orchard Rd
Singapore

you may wish to bring your stuff there to check with the relevant unis directly.
yonanz
wahts ur next choiceafter kcl? warwick or bristol?

Hope this helps. Unconditional offer from king's - verification of the A levels is required. Ha. Going to firm warwick though.
Reply 1872
omg A levels are gonna be out in afew hours!!
Reply 1873
melsonchun
Hope this helps. Unconditional offer from king's - verification of the A levels is required. Ha. Going to firm warwick though.

sian ! should have applied to king's!
melsonchun

just got conditional from warwick...

why not king's for you? isn't king's better than warwick? correct me if i'm wrong. =)
veryhappyfeet
just got conditional from warwick...

why not king's for you? isn't king's better than warwick? correct me if i'm wrong. =)

Haha, I can understand where you're coming from by making a statement that King's>warwick for law on basis that warwick's law is not as established as king's, but if you're talking about the quality of the university as a whole based on the rankings, then warwick has an edge.

Besides, it's impossible to live in london without blowing a hole in my parent's pocket.:p:
Reply 1876
melsonchun
Haha, I can understand where you're coming from by making a statement that King's>warwick for law on basis that warwick's law is not as established as king's, but if you're talking about the quality of the university as a whole based on the rankings, then warwick has an edge.

Besides, it's impossible to live in london without blowing a hole in my parent's pocket.:p:

that's cool man :smile: i'm gonna firm warwick too! still need to get my stuff verified though haha.. will you be going for the warwick q&a session on the 23rd of march?
Reply 1877
melsonchun

Hi, may I know the reason for choosing Warwick over Bristol? Hope you don't mind sharing :smile: Thanks!
tadimon
that's cool man :smile: i'm gonna firm warwick too! still need to get my stuff verified though haha.. will you be going for the warwick q&a session on the 23rd of march?

Haha, you're entering uni this year right? Im due for uni next year man, 8 months of national slavery more to go.:biggrin:
jingyao
Hi, may I know the reason for choosing Warwick over Bristol? Hope you don't mind sharing :smile: Thanks!

Haha, for the benefit for all, I shall type a proper post.

1) Singaporeans who are generally very unclued about universities in the UK are unlikely to have heard of Bristol, despite it being a powerhouse in the UK. Furthermore, in a span of 40 years, Warwick is the only university besides oxford and cambridge that has not been out of the top ten tables for most of the subjects. Dont' ask me why law is ranked at 22 for warwick, i ve no idea tbh. Overall reputation of the university is of utmost importance here.

2) Personal reasons. Having been in a concrete jungle for 20 years of my life, I want a break. I want to be with nature; with the greens; with the lush foilage that the city ill-affords.

3) Larger openings. Warwick is a target school for many occupations, whereas Bristol is a semi-target.

Quick Reply

Latest