The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Narev
Have fun at the Warwick's Q&A session on 23rd March - I think *some* Singaporeans may be going back during Easter, and might help out. Unlikely though. On the other hand, I'll most probably be at the next Q&A session sometime in August. (The food there is good too.)

If I'm there though, I'll probably be a spectator, unless Mavis arrows me to do a presentation on MORSE, which I will try to wriggle out of, since errrr..err..errr.. like it or not, I'm the next chair/President of the MORSE society for the next year.

Of course, no Singaporeans are coming to Warwick to do MORSE right?

*I actually am unsure of what reply I want to this question. I'd like a 'no Singaporeans', so I can slack. I'd like a 'got a lot of Singaporeans coming to do MORSE wor', because we're being outnumbered by the Malaysians :P

You're studying at Warwick? haha just want to know.. how's life there? and how different is it from university life in Singapore?
Reply 1901
gooshh i didnt realise there was sg forum buried here for sooo long. How oblivious am I? Alright back to business! I am currently doing my first year in a 2-year degree in University of Buckingham...somewhere middle of oxford and milton keynes. Nice to see you guys. Have anyone already planned somewhere for their holidays? :biggrin:
Reply 1902
tadimon
You're studying at Warwick? haha just want to know.. how's life there? and how different is it from university life in Singapore?

Umm..can't help you with your last question, as I've never experienced Uni life in SG. But there aren't any two hour lectures unlike NUS - they are usually in blocks of 1 hours. *Usually only because sometimes timetabling can get screwed up - and you can have up to three hour blocks of the same lecture in a row. But that's very rare.

Life there really depends on how much effort you put in it. You want a social Uni life, put in enough effort in being sociable, and you'll get it. Etc.

Not in town, so not many attractions, but good base if you want to travel round UK and Europe. Singapore Society there has a strong presence, but the exec change each year, so it's a hit and miss kind of thing. Still, elections for Singsoc members are next week, and the candidates look quite promising, so expect quite a good Singsoc for the next year at least!

If you're doing anything maths related, it's damn fun. You get lecturers who know their subject damn well, and can even get a second job as a comedian. Plus, the MORSE society will take care of you - academic needs, social needs, connects you within the department. *It better, at least, because errr..I'm the current chair, and I'm running it with the same philosophy during my time in the SAF, plus I've koped a few of their good ideas.

**Philosophy in a decent office, and not one of the "shoot arrow office politics" kind.
hey i just got back my A-level results last friday:

got AAA/A + 2H3 dist,

im trying out for imperial and cambridge, what are my chances??
Reply 1904
BrilliantMinds

got AAA/A + 2H3 dist,

niceee results you got there. congrats!

well chances? haha, imperial and cambridge both are top schools, so whoever is applying and has a decent shot at admissions, will probably be having around your results. although your 2 H3 distinctions will most likely give you an edge.

anyone on this forums cant tell you by a definite percentage for your chance, but with your results you will definitely be a competitive applicant, thats for sure.

although PS does matter at some point of your UCAS apps, along with referee statements. since there are instances when stellar results students get rejected, and below par students get accepted.

what are you applying for by the way? med or eng?
I think I managed to locate the website where you RSVP your place in the reception. Here's the link, and it's available to all applicants and offer holders.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/prospective/regionalinfo/southeastasia/singapore/singapore/
I am intending to study theoretical physics (master's course 4 yrs)

hahahah!! omg this sounds uber fun. =) which other unis did you guys apply for?

personally i got rejected by LSE, UCL. Conditional from Warwick.. havent heard from Kings or Bristol.. I'll only waver if Kings offers me a place.. though i will need to weigh it against the costs of living in London.

=( any advice?
Reply 1908
Come to Warwick - good advice!
king's offer reception was funny - especially that one particular alumnus hahhaaha. Sorry I'm just trolling haha
Reply 1910
brianngrz
king's offer reception was funny - especially that one particular alumnus hahhaaha. Sorry I'm just trolling haha

hahaha yeah i agree. he and his 'Once a King, always a King' mantra. amusing part of the briefing.
Reply 1911
mli18
hey everyone i just received my a level results ytd. originally i wanted to study law at nus but with my C in gp i think it's out of the question. i do have 6 other As in my pocket though. Is there anyone who can advise me on my chances of getting into nus dentistry? my other options are going to uk nottingham to study law, going to smu law, going to an australian uni, or taking a gap year and reapplying to other top uk schools with my 4 H2 As. im kinda confused now as to which are my best options can anyone give me any advice? thanks so much. :smile:

Hey, dont u let ur GP C get you down girl, those are fantastic grades! going to those schools that you have mentioed [nottingham, australia, definitely doesnt do justice to hose grades, although there ARE alot of straight A student in SMU, esp in SMU law]. What i advise is that you have a prett good shot at dentistry, getting called up for interview, that is. what happens after that, it all depends on u. ur grades wont help, its more of ur performance in interview and dexterity test.

if u cant get into dentistry, go for a gap year. decide properly what u want to be, a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, or? then reapply to UK again next year, UCL, oxbridge, KCL, LSE, definitely will consider you given ur 4H2 As. the difference now is that you have concrete grades, not predicted grades. with these grades i can boldly say that getting offers from UCL or KCL shld be no prob, LSE not too difficult, oxbridge difficult but u have a chance! even if u wanna study medicine, u have a great chance in many UK unis, although i would advise you to aussie for a dentistry/med educatin because its nearer and MUCH cheaper!
Reply 1912
BrilliantMinds

got AAA/A + 2H3 dist,

oxbridge, not easy. everyone has those grades or better. depends on interview and entrance test.

imperial, confirm get place.
Reply 1913
wrt to warwick vs bristol vs kcl debate, seriously its all a matter of personal preference.u think its gona make a whole lot of difference where u go with respect to job prospects? no! its really the same. its all recognised by the BLE and the local firms.

the only significant factor one should consider is the location and the course content. these are the things one should be concerned about. whether kcl or warwick or bristol, there are all well known amongst local law firms, so firms are not going to include/exclude u on the basis of which school u come from, unless ur from oxbridge, or on the other end, from an unrecognised uni
Reply 1914
yonanz
Hey, dont u let ur GP C get you down girl, those are fantastic grades! going to those schools that you have mentioed [nottingham, australia, definitely doesnt do justice to hose grades, although there ARE alot of straight A student in SMU, esp in SMU law]. What i advise is that you have a prett good shot at dentistry, getting called up for interview, that is. what happens after that, it all depends on u. ur grades wont help, its more of ur performance in interview and dexterity test.

if u cant get into dentistry, go for a gap year. decide properly what u want to be, a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, or? then reapply to UK again next year, UCL, oxbridge, KCL, LSE, definitely will consider you given ur 4H2 As. the difference now is that you have concrete grades, not predicted grades. with these grades i can boldly say that getting offers from UCL or KCL shld be no prob, LSE not too difficult, oxbridge difficult but u have a chance! even if u wanna study medicine, u have a great chance in many UK unis, although i would advise you to aussie for a dentistry/med educatin because its nearer and MUCH cheaper!

Thanks so much for the encouraging post! :smile: i'm still pondering over uni apps right now i'll see what offers i can get. although i'm okay with taking a gap year and reapplying to the top uk schools my parents are quite against the idea of me wasting a year doing nothing. =/ sighh. you made me feel much better about my situation though, thanks! ^_^
yonanz
wrt to warwick vs bristol vs kcl debate, seriously its all a matter of personal preference.u think its gona make a whole lot of difference where u go with respect to job prospects? no! its really the same. its all recognised by the BLE and the local firms.

the only significant factor one should consider is the location and the course content. these are the things one should be concerned about. whether kcl or warwick or bristol, there are all well known amongst local law firms, so firms are not going to include/exclude u on the basis of which school u come from, unless ur from oxbridge, or on the other end, from an unrecognised uni

Where are you currently studying at currently, after rejecting warwick's and nottingham's offer for law eons back?
gi.
hahaha yeah i agree. he and his 'Once a King, always a King' mantra. amusing part of the briefing.

haha i didn't find it that useful to be honest. okay maybe only the part about accomodation was! I want to check out the warwick's reception for offer holders/applicants on the 23rd also since I haven't firmed King's yet! I wonder whether UCL/LSE will have one for offer holders as well?

Oh studying law too by the way. haha
Haha, er, can everyone who's interested in going to the Warwick reception meet up at cityhall before we head down to conrad together? We might as well be friends for 2-3 years t least, at least for me since Im entering uni in 2011. =D
Reply 1918
brianngrz
haha i didn't find it that useful to be honest. okay maybe only the part about accomodation was! I want to check out the warwick's reception for offer holders/applicants on the 23rd also since I haven't firmed King's yet! I wonder whether UCL/LSE will have one for offer holders as well?

Oh studying law too by the way. haha

yeahh.. i expected the briefing to be a tad more ... get-to-know-your-future-coursemates oriented instead of they telling us about school. since i think most of us know enough to actually place king's as one of the choices.

oh you are for law as well? 6 of us (all law) went out for drinks nearby after that actually.
Reply 1919
mli18
Thanks so much for the encouraging post! :smile: i'm still pondering over uni apps right now i'll see what offers i can get. although i'm okay with taking a gap year and reapplying to the top uk schools my parents are quite against the idea of me wasting a year doing nothing. =/ sighh. you made me feel much better about my situation though, thanks! ^_^

i understand where ur parents are coming from. its indeed quite frustrating if u see ur peers zoom by while u waste one year. but that depends on whether u really waste. because the one year, u could fruitfully spend in on a job and learn whilst on it, or do something meaningful [volunteer work, whatever it is]. whilst in army and out of army, i worked in at least 3 diff jobs, gave tuition, learn driving, perform in piano bars, and dabbled in many interest and volunter work, and come this july,im going to cambodia for mission trip. it really depens on how u gona spend ur gap year - are u going to just waste it as your parents suggest, or are u going to spend it meaningfully?

from my personal experience, a gap year is invaluable. in the grand scheme of things, a year compared to a lifetime decision, is nothing. a year, juxtaposed against a possible lifelong career, is nothing.going to uni, choosing course, choosing a specific profession in your case i.e doctor or lawyer, is an important stage in life and has potential life changing consequence, and hence should not be taken lightly, and i know you are not. if u are very disatisfied with ur offers, especially if u cant get into dentistry. besides, i think having concrete grades now as opposed to predicted grades , and 4 H2 As no less!, will substantialy boost your chances of geting accepted into top medical schools if u want to study med, or top law schools if u wanna study law.if u want to go overseas and spend that amt of money anyway, might as well go to the best right? no point going to mediocre ones as u are not getting the bang for the buck and 2ndly, u will always regret and think of the 'if only i had waited a year and then applied for better schools..'.
from my personal experience, a gap year helps tremendously one in deciding what he genuinely wants in uni. there are nuermous guys in army who switch course while in army because as they progress in army and mature over the years they gain better insight into what htey want, including yours truly. one year, especially a year spent meaningfully, either through working or sth lidat, and talking to people out there, could really alter your perspective and help you make a better decision.

if in the end you want to become a dentist/doctor, and find a 1.5 gap year too long, then u can always apply to australia med/dentistry. the application for med/dentistry entry feb 2011 will open soon if im not wrong, and the course start date is in feb 2011, so u do not need to wait for like 1.5 years. 11 more months and off to aussie u go. and besides if u wana to study med/dentistry i would recommend aussie anyway [if u cant get into nus, that is] since its cheaper, good, and nearer to home. the cost factor is a huge plus.

i wish u the best, and hope u can get into nus law/dentistry, whichever u choose. smu law is not bad too, have a couple of frens in there with straight As. but do not fret to tread a different path or make a bold decision. if u want to study in a local uni, then by all means go ahead. but if u feel that overseas is good for u, and that u deserve better than hte offers u are having, or u are just unsure of ur path, then take a gap year. all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest