Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So, I've fried everything watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was quite unlucky with the whole Eclipse Computers saga I've been trying to deal with for the last three months.

(I run an Athlon XP 2400+ on a really cheap Syntax motherboard, 768MB RAM, 550W EBuyer PSU, old Geforce II GTS video card with 64MB RAM, lovely big Coolermaster Aero 7 cooler, CPU @ 40 degrees.)

The other day I was fitting a case fan to a side panel. I screwed it on and dropped the panel, which yanked the fan wire off the motherboard header.

It came off cleanly, and the computer continued to run fine (streaming music) for five or six seconds, but then I brushed a cable or something, and it went POP.

The computer wouldn't turn on for a while, but I managed to get it running for about 5 seconds before it kept turning itself off again - swapping PSUs all the while, making sure there was nothing up with that.

No VGA output.
    Also, the optical drives froze with the light on and wouldn't open their trays.

Disconnected IDE drives and floppy drive from PSU and motherboard. Still no action.
    Disconnected all backplane connections. Still no video.

At this point I realised that the power LED wasn't coming on, and the southbridge had got so hot that it actually sizzled a tiny scrap of damp tissue I touched it with :eek:

Gave up on motherboard, took hard drive downstairs. It wouldn't spin up when powered, and wouldn't be recognised in the BIOS. I'd fried my hard drive too :bawling:

As it happened, I have a brand new 200MB Samsung Spinpoint hard drive on order anyway, so I'm not bothered about the hardware, and I haven't backed up for a couple of months and that's a major annoyance but I'll get over it.

However, I need a new motherboard.

What do I do?

I could:
    • Buy a really cheap Socket A motherboard and hope that my CPU still works, and sit it out until Socket AM2 comes out
    • Go 754
    • Go 939

I don't want to spend more than about £150, but I'd really like a fast PC.

Opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    it's gonna cost you! Clumsy Boy :p:

ReputationRep:
    :mad: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Och, you poor wee fellow.

ReputationRep:
    Only option that's going to realistically come under £150 all in is the first one unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    I don't want to spend more than about £150, but I'd really like a fast PC.

Opinions please!
    How fast do you want? You could go for a Athlon xp 64 3200 and get a cheap Skt 939 MOBO all for around £150.

ReputationRep:
    He'd need new memory and a graphics card too, since his old stuff will be too slow / AGP. That'd push it well over £150.

ReputationRep:
    id say go and get a new computer all together, i got one recently for 200 and it is pretty good specs. it was at a comptuer fair, and custom built by people who work at real shope init1

ReputationRep:
    Oh dude What were you doing installing components with the computer on anyway?!

ReputationRep:
    ... why were you fitting a side fan when the PC was on?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    ... why were you fitting a side fan when the PC was on?!
    I'm guilty of that as well, well, not quite the same way. To get the side off my PC i have to unplug the side fan. Often do because its usually only to unplug the case lights.

ReputationRep:
    lol- similar to what i did about a month ago - i fried my HDD cos the power connector from the PSU accidentally touched the HDD, whilst the comp was on.

Are you still covered by warrenty from Eclipse? i buy from them all the time, but i've recently been questioning their reliability. Ive had several experiences when ive recieved dodgy parts that dont work and its just getting a bit annoying

ReputationRep:
    wat do you mena that the psu touched the HDD?

ReputationRep:
    A warranty will NOT cover you for accidentally frying your motherboard etc whilst fiddling with components when the computer was on. They'll ask straight away when you RMA it - what caused the motherboard to get nuked? Unless you're good at lying, its probably curtains.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sympathy and advice all I bought the motherboard at a computer fair anyway, and if I wanted a new socket A motherboard, I'd buy a different one as the decent ones are selling for peanuts now. The one that went wasn't worth the solder it was made with anyway, it was so crap.

What I'd really appreciate right now is an opinion on this bundle here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6869443702

I'd like to know please if it's of decent quality and if it's worth the money or not, because at first glance it's exactly what I'm looking for - all the features I need and more.

Also, is the integrated GPU going to be faster than my old Geforce II GTS with 64MB RAM?

ReputationRep:
    The Integrated GPU (NV44) is apparently the "6200 TC" (Turbo Cache) which is basically a way of saying it shares system memory.

It's pretty slow by today's standards, but compared to a GF2 it's not likely to be a step back at all.

Mobo is a bit on the "budget" side but should be ok as it's got a decent chipset behind it.

ReputationRep:
    for £160, thats about on the money. Especially for an nForce 4 chipped mobo with PCIe - yeah, it won't be the speediest thing ever, but, as Phil. said, compared to your GeForce2... you won't exactly be complaining.

Try looking at Ebuyer's prices for the same kit that'll give you a good idea of whats what.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both - your advice has resulted in me discovering that the eBay bundle was overpriced, and choosing an equivalent motherboard for much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    CPU works, motherboard works. Phew.

But my brand new hard drive, the 200GB SATA Samsung drive, it goes clunk-clunk-clunk... it's dead :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    CPU works, motherboard works. Phew.

But my brand new hard drive, the 200GB SATA Samsung drive, it goes clunk-clunk-clunk... it's dead :bawling:
    Awwww... dude You really aren't having much luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.