Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film analysis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who studies media/ film give me some tips for analysing films?

What are some generic/ standard things to mention when discussing a film?

Rep available!

ReputationRep:
    • The lighting
    • Camera angles
    • Characters
    • Narrative
    • Institution (who produced it)
    • Hidden meanings
    • Context

ReputationRep:
    Film analysis is divided into two areas: macro (context, narrative, meaning etc) and micro (cinematography, editing, sound etc).

I do Film Studies so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    genre, iconography, types of camera shots- close ups, long shots, birds eye view etc, suspension of disbelief, suspence, priveledged spectator position
    types of narrative- linear narrative, whats involved in the narrative- opening equilibrium, disruption, closing equilibrium,
    characters,
    music- is is non diegetic or diegetic?

to get the marks you need to analyse it not describe it, for example the camera shots- explain the effect it has and why its been used, and what the effects are on the audience

ReputationRep:
    For Media at AS:

Camera Angles
    Camera Movement
    Sound
    Editing
    Mise-En-Scene
    Special Effects

Enjoy :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this myself. I think the exam board give you generous marks if you can focus on all the key concepts, particularly if you try and think why the film has been made or what the institution is trying to say (American films try to give out a moral message) through the characters, lighting, music etc.

I find documentaries more difficult

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 27, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.