Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what the is words limit for an As level english lit coursework? watch

ReputationRep:
    my teacher had not told me....

im doing about hamlet and havent started yet. i want to get a headstart on this coursework with the exams on the way and i want to know the limits on this coursework.

and how do you go about revising for english lit? im having difficulty starting the revision. i can easily revise biology, chemistry and maths but im stuck when its comes to english.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Depends which exam board you're on. I'm on AQA B and you need to write 1500-2000 words, but this could be completely different for you if you're on a different board - there may be no limit at all.

ReputationRep:
    im on edexecel...do you merge the historical background with the analysis of the characters or right it in one seperate paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel's 1500 words at AS, and AO5's double weighted, so you should try and merge everything else (AO'S 3&4) with that.

ReputationRep:
    that's quite a bit of compression

and i don't seem to know how to write this mammoth of a piece

ReputationRep:
    1500 words per essay; 3000 in total.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably your title has a historical focus (e.g last year i did honour in Much Ado) so whatever the A05 slant is, go to the library and research that issue, how Shakespeare deals with it in other plays, and then think of specific examples from Hamlet which back up what you're saying, analysing how the language contributes to this (AO3), throw in a bit of 'it could mean this, but it seems likely that Shakespeare intended the audience to...' etc etc and discuss a couple of quotations from critics (preferably disagree with them; you don't get marks just for sticking a quotation in) (AO4). I don't know for certain if they do them for Hamlet, but Penguin's collections of critical essays are good starting points, much better for A level imo than study guides.

Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    Oh and revision-wise, i reread the texts, go over my annotation in the texts for open book exams, cover a sheet of A4 with quotations for the closed text to learn by heart, read through all my notes and background material, jot down the key ideas/issues/debates in the text that are likely to come up in exam questions and write down places in the text where this can be analysed, do a couple of practice essays using past questions to get my timing right, and a few essay plans to think through ideas.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.