Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, anyone seen these?

I'm not 100% convinced by them. Yeah, I've got a maestro but the ad wouldn't make me go and get one. Nor do I believe it.

One of my local curry houses still only takes cash. And I'm sure many of you can think of at least one thing in your area that only takes cash still.

Hmm I'm sure we'll all use plastic all the time eventually, but is that day here yet?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I only use my card if I absolutely have to. So that's for the three things I have ever bought online, when a cashpoint isn't available, or if I have less than a tenner in the bank so can't withdraw cash from a cashpoint.

I much prefer using cash. I've never made a purchase that was too big to pay by cash. I find it easier to keep tabs on spending, as you can watch the money exchange hads with notes and coins. When it's electronic transfers and all that, I lose track of how much I'm spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I only use my card if I absolutely have to.
    I only use cash if I absolutely have to!

To keep track of spending I have an Excel spreadsheet every transaction goes into

ReputationRep:
    For anything less than £5 I use cash. For anything more, I pay by credit card. IMO Switch/Maestro is worthless - no protection against fraud/dodgy retailers or faulty goods - which you usually get with a credit card (along with up to 59 days interest free credit usually).

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sucker for cash. I love the stuff. I seldom use my card. In fact, I still haven't got a chip & pin card yet, soI won't be able to use my card.

I think I've used my debit card about five times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackpoolCraig)
    I'm a sucker for cash. I love the stuff. I seldom use my card. In fact, I still haven't got a chip & pin card yet, soI won't be able to use my card.

I think I've used my debit card about five times.
    You should contact your bank and ask them to get you a new one out ASAP!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I find with cash I spend it on small things which adds up. But I won't use my card for such small amounts, so my money lasts longer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    So, anyone seen these?

I'm not 100% convinced by them. Yeah, I've got a maestro but the ad wouldn't make me go and get one. Nor do I believe it.

One of my local curry houses still only takes cash. And I'm sure many of you can think of at least one thing in your area that only takes cash still.

Hmm I'm sure we'll all use plastic all the time eventually, but is that day here yet?
    I wouldn't say those ads are to convince you to use maestro as such! It's more geared towards dropping cash as a payment method. I think we are overdue for something like this to happen.

Check out my other views on this issue here.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.