Turn on thread page Beta

B498 - Improving University Education Bill 2012 watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Improving University Education Bill 2012, internetguruThis bill is aimed at privatising some universities and other further education institutions within the UK that are unable to

meet employer standards. This bill is designed to improve unsatisfactory further education institutions by encouraging

private investment. This bill will also offer free education to all those that attend state owned universities for bachelor,

masters and PhDs.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present

Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the

same, as follows:-

1. Privatisation of all universities deemed unsatisfactory by employers.
    (1) To consult with the country's top employers and local small businesses to fully evaluate the education provided by all

universities.
    (2) All universities deemed unsatisfactory will be sold into private hands.
    (3) All proceeds of the sales will be used at the government's discretion.
    (4) Sales of universities and further education institutions can begin immediately

2. Education standards
    (1) The education will be evaluated in a number of areas including employability and standards.
    (2) Employability is defined as the ability to find a job earning over £21,000 per year.
    (3) Standards are defined as the quality of teaching and the usefulness of the education being taught to students.
    (4) Courses deemed unsatisfactory will no longer be made available in state owned universities.
    (5) Unsatisfactory courses in private institutions will not be given tuition fee funding.

4. Free state university
    (1) All state owned universities will offer free education.
    (2) Bachelor and masters degrees as well as PhDs will be free at state owned universities.

3. Private institution funding
    (1) Students that attend private further education institutions that are deemed satisfactory will be able to claim student

loans and other financial aids.
    (2) Students already attending unsatisfactory institutions will be given access to financial aid until they finish their

course.
    (3) Funding will be available for Bachelor, masters and PhDs.

4. Extent and Timing

(1) This Bill may be cited as Improving University Education Bill 2012.
    (2) This Bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends throughout the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Are these new private universities able to charge whatever fees they like?

ReputationRep:
    This Bill is flawed in so many ways....

And its not just the formatting
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by stanlas2)
    This Bill is flawed in so many ways....

And its not just the formatting
    The formatting isn't as bad as other Bills I could mention. That said, I'll observe the arguments for now and go from there in this debate.

ReputationRep:
    Some specific questions then:

1) Costing? I know a precise figure may be impossible to obtain, but it would be interesting to have a rough idea of how much scrapping tuition fees, etc will cost

2) How do you define 'unsatisfactory' for a university?

3) Sell a university? Do you mean the buildings? Or sell the professors? (Like football players?)

4) So is the only purpose of university from now on to find a well paid job? What about academic research?

5) How much funding is provided in section 3?

6) And what happened to the formatting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    The formatting isn't as bad as other Bills I could mention. That said, I'll observe the arguments for now and go from there in this debate.
    Just saw that other Bill you could have mentioned. I see your point now

ReputationRep:
    Formatting!

Nay.

You need to provide some costings and at any rate i will not support the abolition of tuition fees.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't agree that funding should be extended beyond undergraduate level unless for funding bursaries and grants. Although I support a reduction in undergraduate fees. postgraduate study should not be fully subsidised by the taxpayer.

How will reducing fees be paid for?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, you know what's going to make education better? Milking students for profit!

(Bloody hell...)

Nope. This is just dreadful, just let people take doss subjects that get them nowhere, there are already too many highly skilled graduates going for jobs that are not there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Asking employers about the education provided by universities is pointless because by and large they don't care and are in no position to evaluate it.

The £21,000 threshold for "employability" is quite steep given that it's above the average starting salaries for the vast majority of arts and humanities courses.

This bill will turn the British university system into a factory that makes science and business graduates. Although I understand there is genuinely quite a lot of support for this in real life from what I've seen and heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Nope. This is just dreadful, just let people take doss subjects that get them nowhere, there are already too many highly skilled graduates going for jobs that are not there.
    Read the bill student loans and free university education are unavailable to those on courses deemed unsatisfactory by employers.

ReputationRep:
    WTF happened to my bill it has turned into a train wreck! It was not like that before I sent it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    WTF happened to my bill it has turned into a train wreck! It was not like that before I sent it.
    It happened to our Bill as well

ReputationRep:
    ha yeah no, most employers don't care which uni you went too. And those that do want a select few from a select few unis.

So we end up with 10 public unis that are flooded with private school kids gaining a university education, while the poor inter city London kid from a single patent who gain a place at a good uni will have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No. :rolleyes:

By the way, does the numbering go 1, 2, 4, 3, 4 on purpose?

Posted from the TSR Android app
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This is just a weird and ill-thought-out bill. For starters, further education ≠ universities.

ReputationRep:
    A recipe for employers to be bitter and prejudiced. A no from me.

ReputationRep:
    No. For one, how do you universally work out if a university is fit for purpose or not?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.