Turn on thread page Beta

B499 - Invalid Carriage Safety Act 2012 watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Invalid Carriage Safety Act 2012, TSR Liberal Democrats
    Preamble: This Bill will make it compulsory for users of Class 2 and Class 3 motorised invalid carriages to undertake Compulsory basic training (CBT). This legislation will also introduce the compulsory requirement for drivers of motorised invalid carriages to carry a licence.
    BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1)All users of Class 2 and Class 3 invalid carriages will be required by law to undertake the Compulsory Basic Training scheme that is currently a compulsory requirement for moped and scooter riders.
    2)The minimum legal age of operation for Class 2 and 3 invalid carriages will be raised to 15 years of age.
    3)A licence will be given following the successful completion of Compulsory Basic Training.
    4)This licence must be produced when required by a law enforcement official. It will become a criminal offence to operate in a public area a Class 2 or 3 invalid carriage without a licence.
    5)The penalty for the above offence will be a fixed penalty notice of a maximum of £200.

Definitions
    Class 2 - powered wheelchairs and scooters, primarily for footway use. With a maximum speed of 4 miles (or 6.4 kilometers) per hour and a maximum unladen weight of 113.4 kilograms (250 pounds). Class 2 vehicles must also have an effective braking system and must use lights and reflectors when being used at night.
    Class 3 - powered wheelchairs and scooters, for use on roads/highways with a maximum speed of 8 miles (or 12.8 kilometers) per hour. With the facility to limit the maximum speed to 4 mph for use when travelling on footways.
    Class 3 vehicles must have:
    *a maximum unladen weight of 150 kilograms (330 pounds)
    *a maximum width of 0.85 metres (2 feet and nine inches)
    *a devide to limit its speed to 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) per hour
    *an effective braking system
    *front and rear lights and reflectors
    *direction indicators which are able to operate as a hazard warning signal
    *an audible warning instrument (horn)
    *a rear view mirror
    *an amber flashing light if it is used on a dual carriageway

Commencement
    (1) This Act shall come into force upon the granting of Royal Assent.

Extent
    (1) This Act extends to England and Wales.

[quote]Notes
    The usage of Class 2 and 3 invalid carriages has increased in recent years and continues to increase as models become cheaper to purchase and operate. 78 per cent of people surveyed by the government believed that users of the aforementioned vehicles should be subject to testing.

This legislation is designed to improve the safety of invalid carriage users and other road users, in particular pedestrians. Standardising training will educate invalid carriage users about how to operate their vehicle and also about safe driving practices. Several surveys predict that properly testing invalid carriage users will result in a reduction of between 45-60% of fatal or injurious accidents linked to mobility scooters.

News article 1
    News article 2
    News article 2
    Department for Transport survey
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Formatting is incredibly poor. Is this a major problem in society?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I did PM this with the correct format header, but it really doesn't matter that much surely.

In terms of necessity, the figures speak for themselves - ensuring mobility scooter users sit a test will ensure they are safer as well as pedestrians and other road users. Long overdue but common sense really.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I did PM this with the correct format header, but it really doesn't matter that much surely.
    Well it does because it's just a mess at the moment and really setting out correctly would help people to see what you're trying to do.

In terms of necessity, the figures speak for themselves - ensuring mobility scooter users sit a test will ensure they are safer as well as pedestrians and other road users. Long overdue but common sense really.
    What figures specifically are you directing me towards?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm just confused.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Formatting is incredibly poor. Is this a major problem in society?

I can confirm that I was messaged with the correct header. It had become lost what with all of the other random PMs I get.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Check out the notes or for an actual parliamentary debate on the subject, click here

I have no idea what is happening, nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    What's so confusing about it? It's missing a heading - all the words make sense, though!

You're discriminating against old people. In all seriousness, if you had to pay for a license and CBT just to go out into town I'd be pretty pissed. Uness they are reckless or pose a risk to others, people should have this forced down their throats.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My attention evaporated after the first few lines, but the BBC article suggests that some problem exists, and I trust that this is a good enough solution. Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Boring why don't people start proposing bills that invoke interesting debate?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    You're discriminating against old people. In all seriousness, if you had to pay for a license and CBT just to go out into town I'd be pretty pissed. Uness they are reckless or pose a risk to others, people should have this forced down their throats.
    Try telling that to the thousands of pedestrians who have been injured (and a few killed) by accidents involving mobility scooters. Safety has to be improved, one way or another.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Boring why don't people start proposing bills that invoke interesting debate?
    I've yet to be interested by your own legislation.

ReputationRep:
    I've yet to be interested by your own legislation.
    I guess some people are just boring people that love the idea of debating about irrelevant transport stuff.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by internetguru)
    I guess some people are just boring people that love the idea of debating about irrelevant transport stuff.
    So says the guy that used to be minister for transport.

ReputationRep:
    So says the guy that used to be minister for transport.
    Yes and I had a great time proposing so many transport related policies...

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense. Perhaps one for bikes too? We all know they can be a nuisance on the roads, and let's not get into them cycling on pavements.

ReputationRep:
    Aye!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2012
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.