Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with a few questions about reactions of glycine.

Glycine + ethanoic acid -----> ?????????
    Glycine + glacial ethanoic acid + sodium nitrite ------> ???????????
    Glycine + sodium carbonate --------> ???????????????? (Guessing CO2 and H2O?)

What functional group of glycine is taking part in the first 2 reactions?
    And what would happen if sodium hydroxide was adding to glycine? (Would it produce a salt and water like any acid/base reaction?)

Thanks a lot if you can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhillipEvans)
    Can anyone help me with a few questions about reactions of glycine.

Glycine + ethanoic acid -----> ?????????
    Glycine + glacial ethanoic acid + sodium nitrite ------> ???????????
    Glycine + sodium carbonate --------> ???????????????? (Guessing CO2 and H2O?)

What functional group of glycine is taking part in the first 2 reactions?
    And what would happen if sodium hydroxide was adding to glycine? (Would it produce a salt and water like any acid/base reaction?)

Thanks a lot if you can help.
    First of all, what do you know about glycine and what are the two functional groups in glycine?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's an amino acid and it has the amino functional group and carboxylic acid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhillipEvans)
    Well it's an amino acid and it has the amino functional group and carboxylic acid?
    So what do you think happens when you add it to an acid? Remember the -NH2 group is basic and the -COOH group is acidic.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I typed the first equation out wrong, it was the reaction of glycine with enthanoic anhydride. But that is still an acid so they would both react with the -NH2 functional group?

But how would I go about naming the products?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.