Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find that when people ask you which uni you're going to, you say 'Oxford, hopefully...if I get three As...which I won't...because I'm lazy and stupid...'

It's almost as if saying the word Oxford on its own is tempting fate, and if you don't immediately cross your fingers or touch wood, the tutors will come to their senses and get a restraining order preventing you from coming within 100 feet of the college.

Or is it just me...

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I say 'Oxford' even if I'm gonna say 'if all goes to plan' I find someone coming up behind me saying 'ooooonly if you get the grades'...so no need other people do it for me

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213753

ReputationRep:
    It actually drives me crazy when people ask you what uni you plan to attend, and you say Oxford and happen to not mention the customary "if all goes well" just once and immediately someone random jumps in and makes a remark about how you'd "better work to make the grades etc". Its stressful enough as it is, it just reasserts this feeling that if you miss it you will look like such a s**thead and for the next 5 years you'll be the urban legend used at your school to frighten students into doing hw.

ReputationRep:
    How many people miss their offers statistically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manellowzworth)
    It actually drives me crazy when people ask you what uni you plan to attend, and you say Oxford and happen to not mention the customary "if all goes well" just once and immediately someone random jumps in and makes a remark about how you'd "better work to make the grades etc". Its stressful enough as it is, it just reasserts this feeling that if you miss it you will look like such a s**thead and for the next 5 years you'll be the urban legend used at your school to frighten students into doing hw.
    I've always got the opposite. If is say the obligatory "if i get the grades", all I get is "Shut up and stop sympathy seeking, of course you're gonna get them." As if I've lost all rights to be worried about exams by doing well in them in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manellowzworth)
    How many people miss their offers statistically?
    My letter from LMH said they over-offer by 8%.

ReputationRep:
    i cant decide whether me being given deferred entry is a good or bad sign within the whole over-offering thing....oh well. let it be.

ReputationRep:
    It must be a good thing - I think the criteria they use is that by letting you in for a deferred place, you must be not only good enough to get in *this* year, but to get in any average year. Be encouraged!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    I've always got the opposite. If is say the obligatory "if i get the grades", all I get is "Shut up and stop sympathy seeking, of course you're gonna get them." As if I've lost all rights to be worried about exams by doing well in them in the past.
    Lol I get that as well - can't win!!!

How many people are getting a distinctively anti-Oxbridge vibe from some of your mates? A prospective LSE-er really doesn't like the fact that Oxford is my CF!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatboy06)
    How many people are getting a distinctively anti-Oxbridge vibe from some of your mates? A prospective LSE-er really doesn't like the fact that Oxford is my CF!!
    I try not to mention Oxford in front of my friends at all, as I think it makes me sound big headed. I said something about 'my college' the other day, only for someone to cut in with 'its not your college - you haven't got in yet.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_belle)
    I try not to mention Oxford in front of my friends at all, as I think it makes me sound big headed. I said something about 'my college' the other day, only for someone to cut in with 'its not your college - you haven't got in yet.'
    fair enough though. we aint got in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but it's a pretty easy slip of the tongue to make
    It's also faster than "the college that I've applied for"

ReputationRep:
    And much faster than 'the college I will be a member of in October if I get three As in my A levels (one being in Chemistry)'

Besides, I'm getting quite sentimentally attached to my...oops...that college. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why though? do you go see it every day or something? one step at a time mate...

ReputationRep:
    I dunno I think it's worth getting a bit attached - gives you something to work for! I started a thread ages ago with a picture of my college which I have as my this-is-what-you-work-for picture. Besides... it's nice to be proud of an achievement

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you should work hard to get your grades, but dont panic if you dont as I know of quite a few people who get in anyway with a B or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoCo^)
    dont panic if you dont as I know of quite a few people who get in anyway with a B or two.
    People sometimes get into Oxford although they miss their grades?
    I´knew some Unis do that but didn't expect Ox to be one of them. Anyway, that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    Increasingly rarely these days I imagine though. (95% of students who'd sat A levels & matriculated this year did so with AAA or more)
    The rise of the open offer system perhaps? As Crazy Mongoose said re. LMH, the university as a whole do make more offers than they have places for... (~8-10% last year to A2 pre-qual candidates)

I think it's probably safest to assume they won't be able to be lenient & you do need to make the grades. Although when you've got through the aptitude exams, interviews & probably done pretty well academically so far it should be within your reach!
    But if there exenuating reasons as to why you're not going to them probably best to let them know in advance. & would always be worth a call on results day to see..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilbur)
    :ditto:
    Heh yeah, most people around here would in fact be very supportive, as described by Papa Dom. I'm darn thankful for that.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.