Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, I'm really sorry to post another one of these x or y university posts but I am really confused! For ages I loved the idea of coming to Exeter, lovely location and campus, nearby beaches, trees, fresh air etc and I was certain it would be my first choice if they accepted me but ever since I visited Sussex I've been really confused!

The course and lecturers seemed much more appealing at Sussex than at Exeter (which suprised me) but I feel that Exeter is a more 'respected' uni than Sussex and I prefer the westcountry location... I am also worried about fitting in at Exeter because I come from south east London where there is a pretty varied mix of backgrounds and my schools have been pretty rubbish.
    Although I have worked really hard and am conscientious, I'm sure I'd be looked down upon as the resident cockney and have noone to relate to!

Has anyone here that goes to Exeter that has come from a modest background found that they could find down to earth people that they could
    relate to that were not descendents of Dukes and Baronesses and the like? When I visited at open day, it did feel weirdly 'upper class' and I heard a lot of girls with furry boots and high pitched posh giggly laughs. I don't want to discount a university I really liked just because I think I won't fit in but then again I don't want to go to a university and end up not being able to relate to anyone! Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I also got offers from Exeter and Sussex in 2004 (also from Manchester & Notts but wasn't interested in them). My offers were the same from both universities (BBB) whereas yours are not. My immediate reaction is to say put down Exe as your firm and Sussex as your insurance, then you will be happy however your results turn out.
    Now to answer your questions. I've never visited Sussex Uni, but I know the area (vaguely) from staying there a few times before. I applied there on this basis, as well as on the basis that the course (English and Philosophy) and the uni weren't too bad.
    Is Exeter a more respected uni than Sussex? Yes, but only marginally so (in my opinion).
    As for fitting in - lots of people worry about this, far more than you would guess. The majority of people at Exeter (I'd say 60%) come from SE England. Of the remaining 40%, I'd say that 25-30% come from the remaining areas of the UK, and that 10-15% come from other countries outside the UK, so in coming from London, you certainly won't be alone in your life's experiences.
    Contrary to popular belief, most of the people at Exeter are quite down to earth. There's only a minority who have their own horses and have Mummy and Daddy's credit cards to burn. As you have already correctly identified, these people are easily spottable and as such, easily avoidable if that is what you want. (For maximum avoidance factor I would suggest NOT living in Holland Hall :p: .)
    There are also loads of societies at Exeter and these help enormously with fitting in and finding friends. I don't think you'll find any sloanes at the Beats and Bass Society somehow :p:
    If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    OMG you sound exactly like me, and I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who hasn't made her mind up yet!

I'm deciding between Surrey and Exeter, and feel the exact same way! :p:

For ages I loved the idea of coming to Exeter, lovely location and campus, nearby beaches, trees, fresh air etc and I was certain it would be my first choice if they accepted me
    Same here, it seems so lovely but it's so far away and I'm also worried about not fitting in, as such.

Angelil your reply was really helpful to me as well so thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for your reply Angelil, it was really helpful! Its reassuring to know that there is only a minority 'who have their own horses' etc lol. Yes I've read about Holland hall! How anyone can afford that much rent (£130 or something?) a week as a student is beyond me, and what do you get? A double bed and a heated towel rail and lovely processed food...self catered all the way for me!

Hi Katy, It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one! I'm worried about Exeter being so far away too cos I live in london but if I did go there I'm hoping my parents would follow me down there because we've always to get away from the city and move to the westcountry. The only thing stopping us has been me being attached to school / college etc but if they didn't, the train journey back to london is pretty expensive!
    Guess we have some thinking to do! Let me know what you decide! I can just imagine myself on the 4th of May still umming and erring over pressing the button to make the decision, lol I leave everything till the last minute!

ReputationRep:
    It's not as far as you think. I live 40mins-ish away from London and even including the change at Reading, the journey takes under 3 hours. Quite a nice journey too as there's lots of pretty scenery to look at. It's far enough away to be able to assert your independence, without being so far that you can't get home if you want/need to. One of my flatmates last year was from Edinburgh!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    There's only a minority who have their own horses and have Mummy and Daddy's credit cards to burn.
    I would just like to point out that there are plenty of people who ride/ have their own horses who a) are broke because of it and b) have never had any connection with 'mummy' or 'daddy's' credit card(s) :p:

Oh and I'm from East Anglia. That's ALMOST from up north you know :eek: AND I live with someone who IS a NORTHERNER (she does smell a bit funny admittedly):eek: :eek:

As for the original question I can't comment on Sussex vs Exeter - I'd just like to highlight your worries about the differences between the actual courses. As you will be spending around three years studying at the place you eventually choose, you do need to make sure it is likely to hold your interest and actually be of some worth at the end of it.

If you can imagine yourself getting bored of or feeling uninspired by the Exeter course then surely there's little point in doing it. You will need to do some work at some point ( ) - try and make sure you don't resent having to learn things you never really had any interest in!! Obviously there are always a few modules (usually the compulsory ones) that you get pissed off with, but the overall subject choice should make you feel just a teensy bit motivated. Ok so that motivation might ebb away when your housemate offers you a cup of tea and a big chocolate muffin in front of Neighbours/Quantum Leap/*insertfavetvprogrammeforprocras tinationhere* but it needs to be there somewhere

Exeter is a lovely uni, the campus is something special and I have managed not to speak to a single completely 'Rah' type whilst living here (am a second year). Mind you I am an Archaeology student and we're all a bit grubby looking so I suppose they avoid us. I think everyone worries about meeting people who you actually click with, I know I did - and it didn't help that I had nothing in common with my hall mates. But I soon made some brilliant friends on my course and also from a few societies.

If I were you I would make your final decision (assuming there are no outstanding factors, you could go to either, you just have to pick) on 1) Love and relevence of the course 2) Gut feeling when you think of the uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that your emphasis on the course is that important, kirrelynut, unless they are radically different. The OP hasn't said what course she's doing so maybe this remark is a bit of a stab in the dark. My auntie didn't want to study French and Italian at Oxford because it was too lit-based for her, and she wanted a language-based course. In that instance, what course you choose really matters. When I visited Bristol, their philosophy course seemed a bit too logic-based for me, but that was just a sample seminar, and I'm sure I wouldn't have even applied there if it was an entirely logic-based philosophy course (I applied to 4 places for English & Philosophy and 2 places for English & Classics.)
    I also can't remember seeing any *major* differences in English courses when I was applying, and surely it doesn't really matter which one you pick as long as there are a good range of module choices. You have to do a dissertation at the end either way, so you'll end up working on what you're *really* interested in regardless. I know one girl who got a First for her Milton dissertation without taking the Milton module.
    The only course I'd say really needs to be considered thoroughly is medicine. My sis will be applying for medicine in October and the difference between some courses is enormous - some don't even do dissection, which I think is quite important if you want to be a doctor. Ergo, I would say that minor differences between courses (particularly for humanities subjects) are not worth stressing about, and that if you are applying for courses that are only marginally different, just concentrate on the place
    to the OP - you say the course and lecturers seem more appealing at Sussex, were you making this judgement based on the prospectus or the open day? It's just that on the open day the department is understandably keen to put on a good show (and I'm not being biased, that goes for any uni :p: )...

ReputationRep:
    All very reassuring!

Regarding the distance, it's more the travel cost I'm worried about £40 to visit home :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zoe I'd be interested to know which you choose as well, and likewise about the late decisions!! I just got my "make your mind up" letter from UCAS, but it's not so bad, I have until June.

The courses I've applied for at each Uni are different too, which makes it all more confusing since I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do after the degree.

At Surrey I'd be studying Nutrition and Dietetics, for 4 years, very close to home. The NHS would pay my fees, so obviously that's a huge bonus (meaning I can probably get ensuite accomodation too...nice), BUT I still love the idea of studying Biology at Exeter, in that kind of environment. *SIGH*

ReputationRep:
    Most people only visit home once a term, if that, so the cost shouldn't be too much of a worry. Anyway, your parents can always come and visit you if you want to see them that badly :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good point :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh come to Exeter! I'm from London too and the Campus will be such a breath of fresh air - literally! As someone who most certainly isn't I think the loaded people wouldn't look down on us for not having money surely. I'm proud of my roots anyway (as I'm sure are you) and I wouldn't swap my economy beans on toast for anything - You'll find loads of people who'll love you for who you are rather than your postcode.

ReputationRep:
    similar crisis here...i'm pretty sure sussex will be my insurance but i can't decide between Exeter where i felt most at home..and Bristol which offers the better course and more presitigious uni..closer to home..family there etc etc! aaach!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's a concrete jungle, come to Exeter

ReputationRep:
    Ahh you Exeter guys are very persuading! I really want to come but Sussex impressed me the most although I wanted Exeter to ahh! I know that open day was to attract prospective students so they're going to put on a good show but Exeter's open day was for the same purpose and they didn't impress me as much. Sussex just really seemed to have that extra excitment and enthusiam and I don't think that was an act. They are just two extremely different universities! In some ways I wish I hadn't visited them and just stuck with my preconceptions!

I took a trip to Brighton and it seems too much like London for me, too many buses and roads and pollution whereas Exeter seemed a really pretty town! I love the country, especially the west country but somethings telling me Sussex is the safer option. Its basically course (sussex) v location (exeter) and I feel that I shouldn't choose a uni because of its location even though I really want to!

Ohh I would really have to see my parents more than once a term! It would be too weird not to as its been just the three of us for years and sometimes they're the only ones that have kept be sane but I'm pretty sure we'd move out of smelly london for good if I chose Ex.

Bristol v Exeter - that is a tough one sluggabed! Bristol definitely has the prestige but its whether you'll be happy there... you spend ages stressing and hoping for any offers and then when they come its so tough trying to decide!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking at Sussex and Exeter and I'd say if you want some social life that's not restricted go for sussex as it's got Brighton. Havign said that, Exeter is really good- they have catered halls which Sussex does not. The thing that worries me with Exeter is the whole intimacy of it, fearing that everyone knows you and you won't be able to escape without people knowing you- it's always nice to have that element of privacy which I think Sussex offers. On the other hand- the location of Exeter is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    It does look lovely...I should spend less time on the Exeter website staring at the pretty pictures...

Off topic slightly, does anybody have a clue why I can't seem to register on the Exeter Uni forum?

ReputationRep:
    Hi KatyE,
    The Xnet fora don't accept hotmail and yahoo email addresses when they're submitted for registration as they're treated as spam for some reason.
    You don't actually use the email address for anything to do with xnet once you're signed up, unless you register for topic notifications (which is a pain, so there's not much point bothering).
    Just google 'free email' and wait until one comes up that you can register on xnet with. You will just need it to confirm your membership, then you can let the free email address die.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Angelil! That would be the problem then

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.