Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok......I am confused.

On a normal 3yr course at Cambridge resulting in a B.A, with Tripos parts - Part 1A, 1B and II, how is you final degree grade worked out?

Are all the parts added up?, Does the 1st year count? Are 1B and II added together??

Just I'm kinda confused!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WM)
    Ok......I am confused.

On a normal 3yr course at Cambridge resulting in a B.A, with Tripos parts - Part 1A, 1B and II, how is you final degree grade worked out?

Are all the parts added up?, Does the 1st year count? Are 1B and II added together??

Cambridge does not grade its degrees, only its examinations. Your final degree has no grade (nor is it in any subject). In practise you give the grade you receieved in Part II when asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WM)
    Ok......I am confused.

There is no official final degree grade. No classification or mark appears on your crappy degree certificate. They don't add them up, combine them or anything at all. By convention many people quote their part II mark as the final classification, but some quote the scores from all three parts.

All years matter to some extent, as getting internships, masters/phd funding, graduate jobs will not generally have your final year mark. They often ask for any grades that you have so far, so don't squander the first year totally.

Clearer?

A.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, OldMan types faster!

ReputationRep:
    So if you got say the following:

1st Year - 2.1
    2nd Year - 1st
    3rd Year - 1st

You could say you got a 1st?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WM)
    So if you got say the following:

1st Year - 2.1
    2nd Year - 1st
    3rd Year - 1st

You could say you got a 1st?
    Indeed you could and would, and that would be accepted by everyone. The same if you got....
    1st Year - 2.1
    2nd Year - 2.2
    3rd Year - 1st

In theory you could get
    1st Year - 2.1
    2nd Year - 1st
    3rd Year - 2.1
    and say you got a first. This wouldn't strictly be a lie, but it would be misleading to most peoples eyes.

ReputationRep:
    even if you got two thirds and a first, you could say you got a first

ReputationRep:
    Its not unknown for employers to ask cantab types to quote what they got in each year of their degree.

Justin

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.