Turn on thread page Beta

Foundation year vs going to worse uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e been looking into backup uni choices to study mechanical engineering, the best backup uni Iv'e found would be Liverpool John Moores or studying a foundation at either Liverpool university or Swansea, which are both more "established " universities than John Moores. Which would be the best choice to go with? Any suggestions would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I studied at John Moores and it is great! I think we actually had more help available and lectures/notes were more organised than Liverpool uni going by what my friends there have said.

With most jobs the uni you go to doesn't tend matter, just your grade.
    I know nothing about mechanical engineering though so I have no idea if it will make a difference to your career lol if you think that it will make a difference then there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a foundation year. Just do some research on it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd choose the foundation year with the chance of going to a better Uni. Im from Liverpool and know a few people who have graduated from LJM and none are in graduate jobs or in any kind of job relating to their degree. However, I know it also depends on what degree you choose. The Uni on clearance street has just been re build and looks really nice though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXHolly_90Xx)
    I studied at John Moores and it is great! I think we actually had more help available and lectures/notes were more organised than Liverpool uni going by what my friends there have said.

With most jobs the uni you go to doesn't tend matter, just your grade.
    I know nothing about mechanical engineering though so I have no idea if it will make a difference to your career lol if you think that it will make a difference then there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a foundation year. Just do some research on it.
    Thanks for your reply, its good having someone's opinion who's studied at the university!! how would you rate John Moores overall, and which degree did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aries1992)
    Personally I'd choose the foundation year with the chance of going to a better Uni. Im from Liverpool and know a few people who have graduated from LJM and none are in graduate jobs or in any kind of job relating to their degree. However, I know it also depends on what degree you choose. The Uni on clearance street has just been re build and looks really nice though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I guess it depends on how passionate and determined you are to complete your degree to a high standard, and as john moores do require lower entry requirements I guess there would be a more lackadaisical students than Liverpool. Having said that xXHolly_90Xx does pose a good point, its your grade at the end of your degree that matters not where you went, and also if i go to john moores i could also do a year in industry which would greatly increase my employability although in Liverpool i could study abroad for one semester and take up to a hears industrial placement..... the main problem with doing a foundation year would be it would take a year longer to obtain my degree and it would cost significantly more, the upsides would be i'd graduate from a better all round university (regarding the engineering courses anyway). The upsides for studying at john moores would be taking a year less to complete my degree and overall it would be cheaper, the downsides would be graduating from a technically worse uni (again regarding engineering). Now iv'e got the tedious task of deciding which would be better for me *sigh*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEngGuy)
    Thanks for your reply, its good having someone's opinion who's studied at the university!! how would you rate John Moores overall, and which degree did you do?
    I thought it was brilliant. I was based right in the centre of town. It has been done up lately, not sure if it is completely finished yet, it was nearly finished when I graduated in May.
    The lecturers are really into what they are teaching and they are easy to get hold of outside of lectures. If you want extra help or more to be explained they are happy to do so

I studied animal behaviour so my choice of uni didn't really affect me. For my kind of career it is more experience that matters and my degree was just for an extra boost to my cv!
    Your degree might be completely different lol

Also, you mentioned the year out jmu give you the opportunity to do, I personally didn't do this and just got uni over with in 3 years but I know a lot of people who did and most of them were offered jobs while they were volunteering and therefore were guaranteed a job when they graduated. Really useful if you're lacking in experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXHolly_90Xx)
    I thought it was brilliant. I was based right in the centre of town. It has been done up lately, not sure if it is completely finished yet, it was nearly finished when I graduated in May.
    The lecturers are really into what they are teaching and they are easy to get hold of outside of lectures. If you want extra help or more to be explained they are happy to do so

I studied animal behaviour so my choice of uni didn't really affect me. For my kind of career it is more experience that matters and my degree was just for an extra boost to my cv!
    Your degree might be completely different lol

Also, you mentioned the year out jmu give you the opportunity to do, I personally didn't do this and just got uni over with in 3 years but I know a lot of people who did and most of them were offered jobs while they were volunteering and therefore were guaranteed a job when they graduated. Really useful if you're lacking in experience.

Awesome!! What do you work as now? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEngGuy)
    Awesome!! What do you work as now? :P
    Sorry I haven't been on this! I work at boots at the moment. I'm going to have to move countries to get a job related to my degree but I guess I'm just not quite ready for that yet lol enjoying being home right now!

ReputationRep:
    I'd opt to take a foundation year - I know a couple of people who've done a foundation year, and they don't regret their decision at all.

I don't know if you're aware, but Manchester also has science & engineering foundation years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2012
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.