InsertName
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Is anyone doing a degree course which is more on the social side than biological side? I am trying to find a uni with a more social sided psychology course but am having problems finding one.
If anyone knows then I was wondering where you can study psychology with the more social element, what the course is like, if there is an option to do a placement etc,
Any help would be much appreciated
El Scotto
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

'Applied' Psychology is what you're looking for. thats social psychology.
Epoch157
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by El Scotto)

'Applied' Psychology is what you're looking for. thats social psychology.
What? No it's not. Applied psychology covers things such as ergonomics, educational and occupational psychology. Not social psychology.
spacedonkey
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Social Psychology is available at Sussex and Loughborough and I'm sure many other unis (I just googled it )
El Scotto
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Epoch157)
What? No it's not. Applied psychology covers things such as ergonomics, educational and occupational psychology. Not social psychology.

When I went to a uni open day, with regard to the subject of applied psychology, I sat through a lecture where they were telling me Applied psychology is social psychology. They cut out all the animal things, and all the statisitcal bits and focus on the social side of things. How psychology is applied to humans. This was only a couple of weeks ago, my memory is generally good too.
InsertName

When I went to a uni open day, with regard to the subject of applied psychology, I sat through a lecture where they were telling me Applied psychology is social psychology. They cut out all the animal things, and all the statisitcal bits and focus on the social side of things. How psychology is applied to humans. This was only a couple of weeks ago, my memory is generally good too.
Which Uni was this?
El Scotto
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by InsertName)
Which Uni was this?

this one was brighton.
InsertName

this one was brighton.
aha, thank you.
spacedonkey
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you look at Sussex Uni's website they do offer a Soc Psych degree course
Epoch157
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yeah, and I'm just about to finish a three-year BSc in Psych at Bristol. I'm right.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"Applied" Psychology typically means it includes a year in industry; doesn't change the module or degree content.

Err was about to look up the social psych degree and realised this thread is about 2 years old.. To answer Nadamo's question..

How do I become an occupational Psychologist?

* You would need to complete a Society accredited undergraduate degree or conversion course that gives eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR).
* An MSc in Occupational Psychology.
* Two years supervised practice under the supervision of a Chartered Occupational Psychologist. This will be assessed by the Division of Occupational Psychology (DOP) following the 'Guidelines to become a Chartered Occupational Psychologist', available to download or request a copy from the Exam team.

How much would I be paid?

Ranges of typical starting salaries: £15,000 - £30,000

Ranges of typical salaries at age 40: £35,000 - £70,000

Salaries in the private sector or industry can vary from £15,000 to £100,000+. Higher salaries can be found in consultancy work and depend on expertise and length of contract.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, occupational psychologists tend to get paid the most out of all psychologists because they work privately or for corporations (rather than the NHS like me, or prisons like the forensics).

I suspect their starting salaries are much more than 15k. I know that starting clinical (qualified) salaries are 30k region and I think the occupational psychologists would match that easily.
Robbolo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
Yeah, occupational psychologists tend to get paid the most out of all psychologists because they work privately or for corporations (rather than the NHS like me, or prisons like the forensics).

I suspect their starting salaries are much more than 15k. I know that starting clinical (qualified) salaries are 30k region and I think the occupational psychologists would match that easily.
Clinical Psychs have doctorates, much more than an Occ Psych. and I believe starting is closer to £24k for Clinicals.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
Clinical Psychs have doctorates, much more than an Occ Psych. and I believe starting is closer to £24k for Clinicals.
I would agree more with Lord Asriel on the starting salaries.

You can't really argue against someone who is actually ON the doctorate course.
Robbolo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe, fair enough. Haven't been reading up on Clinical Psych as much as I should have been :p:

Lord Asriel, may I ask which course you are on?
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was on the doctorate.

Lord Asriel is, not me.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope. Occupational psychology is far more than human resources stuff (which you mention). Its more hands on about making the workplace better, finding ways of keeping up staff morale and performance and troubleshooting. Read more about it at the BPS website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (332)
14.99%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (240)
10.84%
Lack of purpose or motivation (307)
13.86%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.6%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (128)
5.78%
Loneliness (192)
8.67%
Financial worries (86)
3.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (104)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (193)
8.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.44%

Watched Threads