matt12987
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi guys/girls,
Just having a think about university choices and stuff, and I've narrowed it down to a final two. Just wanted to get some outsider opinions on which uni you would choose and why? Also if for some reason you think I should choose one of the others on my list, please tell me.
My offers are:

Bristol:BBC
Southampton:BBB
Bath:ABB
Imperial:AAB
Reading:ABB
Surreynconditional-they seem a little desperate and I dont like that in a university!

Thanks in advance!
alispam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well in my opinion southampton is a nicer place to live than bristol but some would disagree with me. Why not bath? Its a good course, nicer city tho i suppose it depends whether you want a campus uni or not. In the end they're both good unis and decent at chem (make sure you're going for a uni that isn't about to close its department) but i would go for southampton firm (thou bristol's course might just edge out southampton there's only a small difference and the southampton's grades are higher) and bristol insurance. Am i right that southampton's accomodation isn't great and that they can't garantee it for insurance people?
matt12987
Thanks for the speedy reponse! I believe you are right about southampton being not so good for accomodation, i also agree about it probably being a nicer city. I was considering Bath, however I got kinda bad vibes at the open day, plus both Bristol and Southampton seem to have newer and better facilities (correct me if I'm wrong). Another issue for me is that Bristol seems to have a more flexible course structure (once again correct me if I'm wrong), but Southampton is closer to home,has a greener, more compact campus and less crime, apparently. Its a conundrum, to be sure.
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bath's chem department when i saw it was new, not sure about course structure thou. What do you mean you got bad vibes? From what you say about southampton i would definitely suggest this as your firm and bristol as your insurance.
matt12987
Sorry, bad vibes wasn't the most eloquent way to put things! Rather it felt like it was a chore to be showing me round and the lecturers and students just didn't seem as excited about their courses, as they did at Bristol and Southampton. I would be inclined to agree with you that Southampton firm, Bristol insurance is a sensible choice, however Bristol offers a better placement (Salamanca for a year), I'm waiting on Southampton to tell me if study abroad is an option. I believe Bristol has a better reputation as well and the marginally lower offer takes some of the pressure off exams. Thanks for all your advice, it helps to talk about these things!
thessalae
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just interessted, why did you choose the Unis that you did, why did you not choose Nottingham, Warwick etc.?
matt12987
I'm not really sure either to be honest. I think that ,subconciously at least, I wanted to stay fairly close to home. The more I have researched since, the more I think it may have been worth investigating some more northerly unis, but its my loss I suppose!
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I applied to Durham and York and whilst i like the unis and the courses are decent i can't bring myself to go that far away from the westcountry...stick with what you know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (28)
39.44%
I really love the subject (21)
29.58%
I don't know what else to do (9)
12.68%
I can't get a job (4)
5.63%
My parents want me to (2)
2.82%
I don't know... I just do (7)
9.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise