Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I am trying to make up my mind on the UCAS application and hope you can give yourvaluable opinion. I read some statistics from university guides and I was kinda shocked by the fact that this city has a very high crime rate. Despite I already knew Manchester is rough beforehand I am not sure how serious that is. I hope you can give me some idea? Would you reckon it would be pretty likely to get robbed or something when one is out at night? Moreover are the security facilities in the accommodation halls adequate ? And lastly would you say it is more of a vice city than other busy places like London? Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Would you reckon it would be pretty likely to get robbed or something when one is out at night? No, as long as you're not stupid and go walking around dodgy areas on your own
    Moreover are the security facilities in the accommodation halls adequate ? in my experience yes, but it might vary between halls.
    And lastly would you say it is more of a vice city than other busy places like London? Nope, its a big city, it has its share of crime but its no worse than other big cities really

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    agree with all of that. Its perfectly safe so long as common sense prevails.

ReputationRep:
    I feel safer out in Manchester than I do in my local smaller town.

Not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakeplasticsmee)
    I feel safer out in Manchester than I do in my local smaller town.

Not a problem.
    Same.

If you stick to the studenty areas and the city centre, with a bit of common sense you're in no greater danger than any other city.

ReputationRep:
    Although the student areas are often in fact the rougher parts of Manchester, Fallowfield has one of the highest crime rates in the city because students bring money with them and that attracts crime for obvious reasons.

I am not saying these areas are not save, but it dosn't make sense to say only to stick to them when they are much safer areas. Just avoid big council estates as a general rule and stick to the main roads.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, in the city there ar always people around on the main streets so you ar pretty safe. Like everyone else says, if you stick to well lit and visible streets you'll be fine.

Burglaries are fairly common due to the fact that half the houses in Fallowfield are student accomodation so they know they'll be 4 or 5 PCs in there, along with MP3 players, TVs etc. and students are out alot. The only thing to do is check all windows and doors, don't leave valubles in sight of the window and use the burglar alarm. All common sense really. Or just don't live in Fallowfield.

As for the halls, most now need security card access so you are really safe from crime.

ReputationRep:
    a survey came out yesterday, putting nottingham, leeds and hull above manchester in terms of burglary rates
    http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1756155,00.html
    manchester came 6th.

i've never been mugged in manchester, and don't know anyone who has been.

only seen 2 fights on nights out this year too. in some places in this country you see a fight on every night out!

pfulham, theres no need to be posting PMs with the same questions as in your thread. you should post all general questions on here, then other people can see the answers too

EDIT manchester actually came 5th. bristol was also worse than manchester :eek: although manchester is apparently the least accident prone city in the country lol
    http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/web/media...ome_theft.html

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to survive so far in the city for a considerable time - I am a mature student - very mature - so the chances are that you'll be perfectly safe.

Just be sensible as everyone else has said and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Im straight outta the Manchester council estates (says in a fiddy cent kinda way) and I know the topography of perhaps every area of the city .... most of it is worth avoiding if your of unsound mind (i.e likely to crap your pants if you see a chav) but if your me and well over six foot ...no not everyone is as tough as me. Its a big bad city but if you watch yourself you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Not all of Manchester is like Miles Platting though

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.