Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which PC?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been asked to give my Dads friend some advice on which computer he should get, it will mainly just be for surfing the internet, emails etc and some multimedia stuff for his children as well i think.

I had looked at this one from Mesh http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...DUCT&KEY=81949 which seemed more than up to the task, but not too pricey.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sort of spec they think i should aim for, bearing in mind that I don't want it to be too expensive, but still it has to be reasonably good so that its not instantly completely out of date.

ReputationRep:
    That PC seems fine if you done want to go down the DIY route. The 6100 GPU will even play a few (basic) games like the Sims 2 etc if required.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good then, im not sure how much they are willing to spend, as i havent actually spoken to him yet, so i will see what he thinks when i do.

ReputationRep:
    id say go to the to the computer fair as it will be much cheaper and you get a pretty good deal, i got mine at a comptuer fair for 190 excluding the monitor but they are dirt cheap anyways. i mean i got one similar to the one you linked, i went to stratford in east london near the train station!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincent)
    id say go to the to the computer fair as it will be much cheaper and you get a pretty good deal, i got mine at a comptuer fair for 190 excluding the monitor but they are dirt cheap anyways. i mean i got one similar to the one you linked, i went to stratford in east london near the train station!
    Thats really close to where I live . Just 5 stops away on the tube. Been there before just to have a look and theres some really good cheap stuff. Will probably go again in the summer before I go to uni to get a new PC. What were the specs of the computer you got?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah it has a lot of neat stuff, well it is sepron 2800, 80 gig HD, 128 NVIDIA Graphics cars, 700+ RAM (cant remeber exact) i think that it was a bargain. oh and it cam with about £300 worth of software!!!! which saved time for me as i didnt want to install it all the time!!!!

ReputationRep:
    get a cheap acer from ebuyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    get a cheap acer from ebuyer
    dont give out crap advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    dont give out crap advice!!!
    Not at all!

I spent £330 on an acer this time last year. Fantastic buy. Get soooo much for your money!

ReputationRep:
    oh i though that Acer wer rubbish, using cheap parts and all that!!! similar to Packard Bell i had a computer from them and it was totally crap, using the crappest celeron D processor!!!! sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    oh i though that Acer wer rubbish, using cheap parts and all that!!! similar to Packard Bell i had a computer from them and it was totally crap, using the crappest celeron D processor!!!! sorry :P
    they used to be like that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/product...x?GroupID=1383

just need to source a monitor in most instances...might be worth a look at some of them

ReputationRep:
    Acer still are rubbish. Just another crap OEM brand.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.