Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Currently i have a sony vaio 16" and its too impractical. 2hours battery life and large and heavy.

If money no were no object at all, what laptop would you recommend to satisfy as many of these needs as you can:

the ultimate in portability ie, small screen 11-14 inch
    less than 2-3kg
    moderatly fast 1.0 mobile pentium +
    at least 4-5 hour battery life (i dont mind buying an extra battery if it has space for it)
    dvdrw
    at least 60 gig hard drive
    prefer 1 gig ram
    pretty dam sexy.
    at least 2 usb ports, with usb 2.0
    in built webcam/wifi card would be a plus
    gaming graphics to be able to stand at the very most wc3 tft
    no stupid extra buttons like finger print scanning or music fiddles

not really specific about software/warranty.

I know the Sony Vaio TX series falls under this category, but i was wondering if anyone had any others they could think of? thanks!

oh and im going to use it for university, carrying it about A LOT from place to place, sometimes were no electricity socket present. but id like the occasional break to play warcraft, not necessarily at the top specs

ReputationRep:
    A few of the Acer Travelmate will fall under that category

There is a link to those, webiste is pretty good for the specs of them as well.

Here's a few more

Fuj Siemens P Series

HP

Samsung's, my faves!

Toshiba

Few to browse there They are all portable and the higher end ones are the kind of specs i assume you are looking for

I ahve one of the Fujitsu Siemens myself (not the tiny ones though, mines a 15.4" widescreen) and have no complaints at all from it!

the Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook P7120 looks promising

so does the HP Compaq NC4010 but i think because battery life decreases with time 3.5 wont be a high enough starting point

that samsung x1 is GLORIOUS not entirely sure about placing of dvd drive

thanks a lot for suggestions, will definatley be looking into these in more detail!

ReputationRep:
    How do you know ur gonna be carrying it alot from place to place at uni?

crystal ball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    crystal ball
    :rofl:

Also, :rofl: to the question. Think!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds just like a macbook pro would be perfect if you don't mind a mac - http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro .

that actually looks fantastic, but it doesnt specify how long the battery last, and i bet its pretty dam short with those specifications. I think it would be more like my sony vaio ~ heavy and chunky then my portable preference, ill definately consider it some, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Apple have not released any official battery stats although if you do a google for macbook pro battery life there are a couple of sites - this one looks promising http://www.powerpage.org/archives/20...enchmarks.html .

ReputationRep:
    The current MacBook Pro is a 15" machine though - I'm hoping that they'll expand the range and include a 12"/13" machine soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    The current MacBook Pro is a 15" machine though - I'm hoping that they'll expand the range and include a 12"/13" machine soon.
    its believed by many mac rumour sites that a new macbook (replacement of the ibook) will cover the old 12inch powerbook with a 13.3in screen version.

hmm might have to bide my time then

ReputationRep:
    There is also a rumor going around (http://www.macrumors.com) that they will be available in different colours!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Very exciting! Personally I'd like a 10" machine (or even smaller, so I can slip it into my pocket) but I can't see that happening.

woah, risky business :P

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.