Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    civil engineering is the future specially when the world is developing, e.g. dubai and asia. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Without chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering as well we'd have impressive structures with rubbish technology, mmm

Personally I think moose are the future, but I can't substantiate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuuro400)
    civil engineering is the future specially when the world is developing, e.g. dubai and asia. thanks
    These emerging markets need all of the other engineering disciplines just as much as we do.

Afraid I disagree. People will always need civil engineers. But people will also need electrical, mechanical etc.

ReputationRep:
    Im going into it and yes it does have a future that is reasonably secure. But so do the other specifications. I would um and ahhhh over the Aeronautical and Automotive sectors as computers and mergers of the giants in those worlds seem to be cutting the prospects, but all engineering sectors are in strong postions for future work.

Just one warning. When the economy grinds to a halt, Civil Engineers are first out of a job as the first things cut are new buildings

ReputationRep:
    Another thought is that when we run out of oil, there will be no kerosene.

Therefore all our jets will no longer be able to fly. So not much market for aero engineers.

The thing is though that there aren't really any alternative technologies on the horzizon, so in 50 years time getting from London to new york could be only done by ship!

Scary huh?

ReputationRep:
    i think that chemeng has the most promising future because in this world, raw materials are always going to be needed to be turned into more useful products......especially when oil and stuff are running out.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so fossil fuels run out, chem engineers can help finding better forms of usable energy, but who will to design the actual, physical device that stores it or distributes it? Mechanicals. Then the civvies build it, and life carries on as normal, except that aeros are all a bit miffed and autos will have nothing to do until mechanicals find some way of putting this new energy storage system into vehicles to power wheels or propellers etc. Phew!

ReputationRep:
    chemical engineeres dont go find different forms energy....physicists and chemists do that...........

chemical engineeres deduce the mechanisms to provide the energy in a usable way...so at the end of the day they will be most important

the mechanical and civil engineers just build the machines and thats their job done and finished ..........chemical engineers will make a living out of it by continuously working in that specific field

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sn_bone)
    the mechanical and civil engineers just build the machines and thats their job done and finished ..........chemical engineers will make a living out of it by continuously working in that specific field
    I think you are getting confused with mechanics and builders, mechanical and civil engineers do a lot more work then just 'build'.

ReputationRep:
    i kno.......

but iam trying to point out that chemical engineers will be more involved in that aspect than mechanical/civil engineers....

what do you think (i might be wrong)...........

ReputationRep:
    The whole things a stupid argument.

Can't us engineers stick together like a happy bunch?

(Well no, we don't seem to where I am!)

ReputationRep:
    i dont see this as an argument but as a discussion

ReputationRep:
    That subtlety doesn't wash with me !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JitsuCol)
    The whole things a stupid argument.

Can't us engineers stick together like a happy bunch?

(Well no, we don't seem to where I am!)
    At my uni there is minimal interaction between the different disciplines. God forbid finding yourself in the Internet Engineering corridor....

ReputationRep:
    We have a healthy rivalry, we all know our own is the best... we like to wind up the aeros with tales of our relaxing reading week (they don't get them..ha!)

Then theres the fact that planes can't fly without runways (civils), cars can't go anywhere without roads (civils), trains can't run without railways (civils), people can't drink water without pipes (civils),

i think you can see where i'm going with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Then theres the fact that planes can't fly without runways (civils), cars can't go anywhere without roads (civils), trains can't run without railways (civils), people can't drink water without pipes (civils)
    Hehehe, I was going to retaliate with a great monologue about mechanicals......but then again, this could go on forever. :p:

Engineering group hug anyone? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Engineering group hug anyone? :eek:
    As a rule of thumb:

A) Never hug another engineer.
    B) Don't joke about it.

!

ReputationRep:
    How come? Oh no, not the engineers flu again is it?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that there are STD's in engineering circles. It can lead to intelligent but geeky kids who get abused in school - probably like their parents...

Slightly off topic but I've not heard of any sexual relations between engineers (I mean, heterosexually, though clearly since it's a male dominated profession...). Hugging makes everyone very uncomfortable, engineers aren't the best at interpreting someone elses intentions.

Hang on, I've gone off topic.

Edit: That almost sounded like I was saying engineers are gay. I can say that is not true, just desperate for the most part (but not me - obviously)
    Edit(2): (Can a mod move this to the health and relationships section? )

ReputationRep:
    LoL @ STDs amongst engineers. Everything about that thought seems bizarre.

So lets try and get back to the topic at hand; who has ever spotted two civil engineers kissing on-site?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.