The Student Room Group

In My First Year And Need A Bit Of Academic Advice

Hi,

I am a fresher and only recently started going university.

Being in university for at least 3 weeks now, I have got to admit, the workload is very heavy and the atmosphere and the environment is completely different to what I'm used to.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

(1) Why doesn't the 1st year count towards our final degree?

(2) How do you pass all the 1st year modules?

(3) How do you study and still have a bit of fun?

(4) Why am I getting so much work in my 1st year? My mates at different unis don't even get as much.

(5) Will it get worse or better as time goes on?

Thanks
1) When that is the case it's because the university/department regards the 3 years as a process. They are still forming you in the first year and know you are learning so regard it as unfair to assess you at this stage when you will have developed considerably by the time you finish.

2) Er, work hard and work smart?

3) See above. There is no course that really demands 24/7 - especially in the first year. There must be time in the evenings etc.

4) No idea. Which course/uni?

5) Better because you will have worked out what you need to do and how to do it.
Reply 2
Original post by clubber
Hi,

I am a fresher and only recently started going university.

Being in university for at least 3 weeks now, I have got to admit, the workload is very heavy and the atmosphere and the environment is completely different to what I'm used to.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

(1) Why doesn't the 1st year count towards our final degree?

(2) How do you pass all the 1st year modules?

(3) How do you study and still have a bit of fun?

(4) Why am I getting so much work in my 1st year? My mates at different unis don't even get as much.

(5) Will it get worse or better as time goes on?

Thanks

1) Ask your tutor
2) Ask your tutor
3) Time Management
4) Your answered your own question.
5) Most likely you will receive more work to do. But again, ask your tutor.
Reply 3
(1) probably so you can get used to to university work before the marks count
(2) do the necessary coursework/revision
(3) time management
(4) could be lots of reasons, one could be that your trying to do too much- e.g. at my uni we are given ridiculously long reading lists for our modules, but as I found out later we only needed to read a couple of things on the list. After that I learnt to prioritise and work faster.
(5) better as you get used to things and learn to work smarter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending