Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Identifying genres watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This may seem a fairly stupid question, but what actually is the difference between techno, indie, electric, alternative... music?

ReputationRep:
    I think there's plenty of overlap but i always think of techno as..well kind of drum n bass but with dance music in it at the same time-perhaps Firestarter by prodigy? Then Indie is like Coldplay. Electric..hmm...not too sure of that one...
    Alternative is The Kooks etc
    this is how i think of genres anyway!

ReputationRep:
    hmm... I'd say indie = Feeder?, alternative = Foo Fighters, techno = Moby, and I've got no idea about d'n'b

ReputationRep:
    Surely no one artist can describe a genre.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise (and agree), they were merely examples.

ReputationRep:
    as were mine

It'd be nice if someone could go through all the genres with me because I have no idea what people mean most of the time (I've only just learnt what 'post-rock' refers to). Problem is, when people DO give me a definition, someone comes along and tells the first person that they're completely wrong and gives a second definition and then a third person comes along and laughs at them both and I end up more confused than I was to begin with.

Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Try wikipedia.

People want a few good examples, not 27 paragraphs on each genre. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love wiki...I'm a geek like that.

I just spent 30 minutes reading random stuff on Narnia having just watched the film...loving it...and then having pangs of atheistic guilt.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to feign objectivity; start with Wikipedia, and then play it by ear.

ReputationRep:
    Surely, even accounting for subjectivity, The Kooks cannot be described as 'alternative' by any stretch of the imagination What justification do you have for this? What are they alternative to? They're a pure pop band. Coldplay also cannot be described as an indie band in my opinion, but at least that's slightly more plausible than where you have classified The Kooks as being on the musical spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont want to read through pages of wikipedia then just type 'Define: techno/indie/etc' on google, it'll give you a pretty short description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Surely, even accounting for subjectivity, The Kooks cannot be described as 'alternative' by any stretch of the imagination What justification do you have for this? What are they alternative to? They're a pure pop band. Coldplay also cannot be described as an indie band in my opinion, but at least that's slightly more plausible than where you have classified The Kooks as being on the musical spectrum.
    A band so trite doesn't even warrant classification, unless of course it is to cast them into the annals of history along with all those other instantly forgettable NME bands.

ReputationRep:
    go to your local music store and look what artists are put in what genres. I think amazon has a similar feature

ReputationRep:
    havnt been to music shop in years.. guessing.. lol *blush*

ReputationRep:
    Gah I'm appalled at the mere notion of Coldplay being "indie"

Anyways, yeah wikipedia is cool, and websites like allmusic.com list artist pages with their genre defined.. like:

Coldplay = Rock, then subgenres = alt pop/rock and brit pop.
    And The Kooks = indie rock, apparently.

Coldplay are rock? Whoa.

ReputationRep:
    There is such a thing as soft rock, y'know

ReputationRep:
    with coldplay i was more thinking "music to wet your bed to"

sooooo pathetic.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.