Identifying genres Watch

Q.E.D
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
This may seem a fairly stupid question, but what actually is the difference between techno, indie, electric, alternative... music?
so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think there's plenty of overlap but i always think of techno as..well kind of drum n bass but with dance music in it at the same time-perhaps Firestarter by prodigy? Then Indie is like Coldplay. Electric..hmm...not too sure of that one...
Alternative is The Kooks etc
this is how i think of genres anyway!
Damdam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmm... I'd say indie = Feeder?, alternative = Foo Fighters, techno = Moby, and I've got no idea about d'n'b
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Surely no one artist can describe a genre.
Damdam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I apologise (and agree), they were merely examples.
so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
as were mine
=nuke=
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
It'd be nice if someone could go through all the genres with me because I have no idea what people mean most of the time (I've only just learnt what 'post-rock' refers to). Problem is, when people DO give me a definition, someone comes along and tells the first person that they're completely wrong and gives a second definition and then a third person comes along and laughs at them both and I end up more confused than I was to begin with.

Yeah.
cappucino07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try wikipedia.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
People want a few good examples, not 27 paragraphs on each genre. :p:
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love wiki...I'm a geek like that.

I just spent 30 minutes reading random stuff on Narnia having just watched the film...loving it...and then having pangs of atheistic guilt.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you want to feign objectivity; start with Wikipedia, and then play it by ear.
yorkshirelass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Surely, even accounting for subjectivity, The Kooks cannot be described as 'alternative' by any stretch of the imagination What justification do you have for this? What are they alternative to? They're a pure pop band. Coldplay also cannot be described as an indie band in my opinion, but at least that's slightly more plausible than where you have classified The Kooks as being on the musical spectrum.
Darkened Angel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you dont want to read through pages of wikipedia then just type 'Define: techno/indie/etc' on google, it'll give you a pretty short description.
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
Surely, even accounting for subjectivity, The Kooks cannot be described as 'alternative' by any stretch of the imagination What justification do you have for this? What are they alternative to? They're a pure pop band. Coldplay also cannot be described as an indie band in my opinion, but at least that's slightly more plausible than where you have classified The Kooks as being on the musical spectrum.
A band so trite doesn't even warrant classification, unless of course it is to cast them into the annals of history along with all those other instantly forgettable NME bands.
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
go to your local music store and look what artists are put in what genres. I think amazon has a similar feature
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
havnt been to music shop in years.. guessing.. lol *blush*
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Gah I'm appalled at the mere notion of Coldplay being "indie"

Anyways, yeah wikipedia is cool, and websites like allmusic.com list artist pages with their genre defined.. like:

Coldplay = Rock, then subgenres = alt pop/rock and brit pop.
And The Kooks = indie rock, apparently.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
Coldplay are rock? Whoa.
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There is such a thing as soft rock, y'know
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
with coldplay i was more thinking "music to wet your bed to"

sooooo pathetic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (52)
35.14%
I really love the subject (41)
27.7%
I don't know what else to do (20)
13.51%
I can't get a job (8)
5.41%
My parents want me to (4)
2.7%