Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is a culture? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im re-posting this from the other thread because I want to make sure the point is addressed, and there are far too many points of contention there.

This is my post:

(Original post by Lawz)
    There is NO SUCH THING at ALL as an entire homogenous culture outside of perhaps a village or even an individual.

ALL cultures are made up of disparate groups with different individual cultures and there is NO touchstone of specificity to delineate instances with sufficient commonality so as to be a SINGLE culture, from those that are overly disparate so as to comprise multiple cultures.

If your notion is that for there to be a "culture" there must be this single commonality amongst the group, then there is NO such thing as Nigerian culture given the very different cultures of the Northern tribes and the Southern tribes such as the Euroba.

The same applies, as said, to
    Spain. The culture disparity between Catalans, and the inhabitants of say, Seville is large indeed. Are we to say that there is NO Spanish culture?

ANY description of a CULTURE is one that entails a number of smaller sets within it, just as my diagram, which you claim to have grasped so well, does. As such, you need to justify why you cannot have a culture called "white culture" that comprises a number of different groups, but can have - "Russian" or "Afro-Caribbean" culture or Spanish?

I see that "Culture" is simple a descriptive term that applies to certain aspects of whatever group it is addressed to. For instance - "American culture" describes the various cultural phenomena of the USA, including language, arts, food, music, ethics, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Culture:
    shared beliefs and values of a group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behaviour of a particular nation or people.

people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong

ReputationRep:
    German Kultur perhaps comes near what you are looking for, Lawz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kultur
    "Kultur is the German concept and influence of a particular Germanic attitude, spirit, temperament, ambition, achievement, and purpose. It lays somewhere between the English word "culture" which is too narrow and "civilization" which is too broad."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    German Kultur perhaps comes near what you are looking for, Lawz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kultur
    "Kultur is the German concept and influence of a particular Germanic attitude.......... and purpose.
    So basically getting up extra early to lay claim to every *****in deckchair around the pool, wearing ridiculous speedos (the over 60's that is) and stuffing their faces with sausage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So basically getting up extra early to lay claim to every *****in deckchair around the pool, wearing ridiculous speedos (the over 60's that is) and stuffing their faces with sausage.
    Oh god that was funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim90)
    Culture:
    shared beliefs and values of a group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behaviour of a particular nation or people.

people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong
    How many beliefs, practices, customs, and behaviours do we need to share to be a culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Oh god that was funny.
    The world is a so much simpler place to understand when we stick to those time-honored stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    I associate culture with the arts. A culture's arts reflect everything else that makes up that culture - values & traditions, their social issues and dilemmas... it's all covered in there as well as being the culture itself.

ReputationRep:
    I associate the word "culture" with "seperation", because thats what it does; Seperates humans from each other by differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    I associate culture with the arts. A culture's arts reflect everything else that makes up that culture - values & traditions, their social issues and dilemmas... it's all covered in there as well as being the culture itself.
    So if the art in Montreal and Quebec are so different is it meaningless to talk about "Canadian Culture"?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf? Are you saying that all art from one country is the same? If so I wouldn't call it art. I'd call it photcopying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Wtf? Are you saying that all art from one country is the same? If so I wouldn't call it art. I'd call it photcopying.
    There is nothing wrong with photocopying other peoples work and passing it off as a witty and clever piece of art.

It worked for me, my grades can back that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Im re-posting this from the other thread because I want to make sure the point is addressed, and there are far too many points of contention there.

This is my post:

I see that "Culture" is simple a descriptive term that applies to certain aspects of whatever group it is addressed to. For instance - "American culture" describes the various cultural phenomena of the USA, including language, arts, food, music, ethics, etc.
    Professor Oliver's latest research includes a large amount of consideration of culture. It is a hugely powerful concept. Cultural norms are codes of conduct built up over a period of time; they act to define and limit the behaviour of people in certain situations. The type of culture you are considering is only one subset. Do you not perhaps think you've simplified 'American culture'? If I had to describe American culture, I would do so with the phrase 'American dream'; American culture is the fulfilment of this. Embodied in the American dream are notions of striking it rich, and having a great degree of autonomy over that wealth. Thus American culture can be seen to explain lax gun laws, favourable taxation policies, glorification of wealth in all aspects of American life (even many churches).

American culture is also centred hugely on family; this stems from the cultural foundation of the caucasian people in the 1600s, when those family bonds were tested to the limit. American culture is also, of course, inextricable from their Constitution and liberal system of government. (note, not liberal government).

So, I suppose you are partly right- culture does imply certain aspects of a certain group of people. But I also think culture runs with ideology and history; it describes where people are and where they are going. Gay people, for example, have Mardi Gras, which is largely now a party but in the past a huge civil rights movement. Black Americans celebrate MLK Day to remember the battles won and the on-going fight.

The danger with culture, of course, is to assume someone rigidly conforms to a particular culture. Nevertheless, culture is a powerful concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    OMG the deckchair thing is so true- i have never got that that was a stereotype! So many german people always get up at like, 3am to nick the deckchairs. Once, we threw water on them from the balcony when we saw what they were doing...aaaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    OMG the deckchair thing is so true- i have never got that that was a stereotype! So many german people always get up at like, 3am to nick the deckchairs. Once, we threw water on them from the balcony when we saw what they were doing...aaaah
    Oh yeh! That's the oldest stereotype for Germans in the book!!

ReputationRep:
    lol - we do it only to annoy the English. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

This is my post:

I can't even begin to break down your posts into smaller quotes- stop it! Keep it one damn colour! Is it a ploy?

Anyway, the reason i believe you can have an afro-caribbean group that celebrates arfo-caribbean culture is simply because Westernised black people, that is to say, black people who have lived in Britain since childhood or whatever, have similar interests. They like similar music, films, dances, etc. They talk in the same stylised manner. So a group that gets together to do these things together- go to rnb clubs, ea at caribbean restaurants, learn to breakdance, whatever, is okay.

A white society would be more "broken up" than a "black society". I know you are going to say that black cultures are actually very different around the world. Jamiacans are different from people from trinidad, and from africans who live in tribes, whatever. My point is that WESTERNISED black people have more in common "culturally", than white people from various "white countries". Who else agrees that black boys at their unis, from different countries, but who have lived here a good while- are more similar than the British are to the French? In which case its reasonable to see that the existance of "black" societies to celebrate "black" cultural interests is okay. A "white" society isn't the same, because it has too many branches- there are french cultures, german, and every other white groiup you could think of. Why have a white society that tries to blend all into one, instead of separate societies for each?

And there are many "black" socities as uni that do specify more thn just being "black". There are specific "African" societies, ones for african dance, etc. The ones that are "black"- and encompass culture in only a few ways- such as a like of hip hop and black cuisine- really aren't very deep, but probably fun for those who want it. The "black" label only really refers to simplistic, shallow notions.

What would a "white" society celebrate? Everything that white poeple have done around the world? Paintings by white people? Buildings designed by white people? Skin tone? What, what, what? Yes, "black" societies celebrate, say, music fron black people, achievements by black inventors etc, but to do the same for white people of DIFFERENT cultures?

Lawz, what you attempted to do was add another level to culture, one that was unecessary. You wanted "British" to become a subculture to the overhead "white culture". What is the need or point for this? Particularly when the "subcultures" are so wide-ranging that they can indeed be complete cultures of their own. Yes, you have gone a good way to demonstrate that there can indeed be a society named "white society". But again, why? When there are so many different cultures withing that culture? Even if people agreed that "British" is a subculture to "white" because it is historivally and predominantly a white- skinned country, why the need for a "white society"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    lol - we do it only to annoy the English. :p:
    Aaaw, and you don't even have to try very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of a reply Lawz?

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of a reply Lawz?
    You are repeating your points from the other thread.

I have no intention of doing the same.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.