Turn on thread page Beta

Fiji and New Zealand watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Forget anything i've said before (sorry for the many threads).

Planning on going to Fiji in the summer, anyone been with any recommendations of islands and places to stay? Nicest village, etc.

Has anyone been skiing in New Zealand? Best ski? Cheap accommodation (can that even be done on a ski resort?)

Also, maybe another place. Anyone have any ideas of a good place to go late August? (Not south/central america, africa, asia - so we are skipping all the bad weather/hurricane season).

All help would be greatly appreciated (and rep :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)

Has anyone been skiing in New Zealand? Best ski? Cheap accommodation (can that even be done on a ski resort?)
    It's best to get cheap accomodation outside of a ski resort, try www.hostels.com and buy day tickets or a week ticket for the slopes and stuff. Cheap accomodation in the resorts don't usually happen:p:

Also, maybe another place. Anyone have any ideas of a good place to go late August? (Not south/central america, africa, asia - so we are skipping all the bad weather/hurricane season).
    Are you wanting somewhere hot/cultural/relaxing or what??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_w)
    It's best to get cheap accomodation outside of a ski resort, try www.hostels.com and buy day tickets or a week ticket for the slopes and stuff. Cheap accomodation in the resorts don't usually happen:p:

Are you wanting somewhere hot/cultural/relaxing or what??
    Thank you.

We're kinding wanting something different from the whole Fiji lying on a beach relaxing and trekking kind of thing. Culture, history, heat is okay. (Except Egypt and that heat - 40 plus is way beyond comfort levels! Hehe).

ReputationRep:

We're kinding wanting something different from the whole Fiji lying on a beach relaxing and trekking kind of thing. Culture, history, heat is okay. (Except Egypt and that heat - 40 plus is way beyond comfort levels! Hehe).
    Well then, somewhere that really struck me last summer was Austria. Taking a train through it is absolutely amazing when you are passing the mountains. Between Vienna and Salzburg on the train had every tourist on our train gazing out the windows, just transfixed! Vienna was fab, I wish I could have spent more time there though. The cathedral there was just :eek: . Downside: it's rather expensive!
    Have you thought about Russia? Loads of people seem to have the cold/boring stereotype. When I went 2 years ago, it was in the middle of a heatwave . Russia is amazing, moscow in particular. If you go, you have to go to Red Square, it's fantastic. Especially the St Basils cathedral. You see it in pictures and it looks amazing, but then upclose it's breathtaking. (got some pics of it if you want to see). Or St Petersburg, there's loads of places to go/things to see, particularly if you want historical. If you're interested I'll give you some more info. Plus, Russia is cheap
    Ditto with Poland, cheap, but still plenty of things to do! Mostly historical tourist attraction again.
    Prague? I went there last summer. It's really good for tourism, concerts, museums etc so plenty to do! I still want to go back there! I can give you more info on there too.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, somewhere that really struck me last summer was Austria. Taking a train through it is absolutely amazing when you are passing the mountains. Between Vienna and Salzburg on the train had every tourist on our train gazing out the windows, just transfixed! Vienna was fab, I wish I could have spent more time there though. The cathedral there was just :eek: . Downside: it's rather expensive!
    Have you thought about Russia? Loads of people seem to have the cold/boring stereotype. When I went 2 years ago, it was in the middle of a heatwave . Russia is amazing, moscow in particular. If you go, you have to go to Red Square, it's fantastic. Especially the St Basils cathedral. You see it in pictures and it looks amazing, but then upclose it's breathtaking. (got some pics of it if you want to see). Or St Petersburg, there's loads of places to go/things to see, particularly if you want historical. If you're interested I'll give you some more info. Plus, Russia is cheap
    Ditto with Poland, cheap, but still plenty of things to do! Mostly historical tourist attraction again.
    Prague? I went there last summer. It's really good for tourism, concerts, museums etc so plenty to do! I still want to go back there! I can give you more info on there too.
    Is it cheeky to ask for more info on Moscow and Poland please.

I've been to Austria, gorgeous place, but i got my wallet stolen which i wasn't so chuffed about. Prague is just amazing, i went last summer too. We found the best place to say! It on the old side, and it has it's own little kitchen, and the huge bed is on a balcony type thing, little staircase up to it in the room. And cheap! We did get lost in a really grotty area in the north though, that was a bit scary.

ReputationRep:
    Is it cheeky to ask for more info on Moscow and Poland please.
    Not at all. Will go find it now.

ReputationRep:
    We went to Poznan and Wroclaw. We went to the "old town", which was really nice. It had a market going on at the time, which was really good for random touristy stuff! We also saw the clock tower which chimes at mid day, and two goats come out at the top and ram heads, it basically depicts a Polish legend. Then we decided to get a horse and cart (fab and well worth it ) through the square to a church where we listened to an organ recital. Then we got a tour round the crypt of the church by a Polish person who didn't speak any English (we had a Polish scout with us translating because we were ona guide trip), and we nicknamed the tour guide the Crypt Keeper, and asked questions like "erm... why doesn't that skeleton have a head " It also had a collection of things that various archaeologists had found from the many invasions and rebuilding of Poznan over history! There is the "Kaisers Castle" as well, which was definately worth the tour! Then in the evening we decided on some more erm... contempory culture, and went to the cinema and saw The Amityville Horror in English, but with Polish subtitles! We also went to a musical instrument museum which was really interesting if you have interest in that area! In Wroclaw, we were only there a day, so we went to one of the speedway heats.

Will post about Moscow later!

ReputationRep:
    We went to Poznan and Wroclaw. We went to the "old town", which was really nice. It had a market going on at the time, which was really good for random touristy stuff! We also saw the clock tower which chimes at mid day, and two goats come out at the top and ram heads, it basically depicts a Polish legend. Then we decided to get a horse and cart (fab and well worth it ) through the square to a church where we listened to an organ recital. Then we got a tour round the crypt of the church by a Polish person who didn't speak any English (we had a Polish scout with us translating because we were ona guide trip), and we nicknamed the tour guide the Crypt Keeper, and asked questions like "erm... why doesn't that skeleton have a head " It also had a collection of things that various archaeologists had found from the many invasions and rebuilding of Poznan over history! There is the "Kaisers Castle" as well, which was definately worth the tour! Then in the evening we decided on some more erm... contempory culture, and went to the cinema and saw The Amityville Horror in English, but with Polish subtitles! We also went to a musical instrument museum which was really interesting if you have interest in that area! In Wroclaw, we were only there a day, so we went to one of the speedway heats.

Will post about Moscow later!
    Oh thank you. Doesn't that clock sound like the one in Prague? That is the only big clock i've seen where things come out. I remember in Prague we were out at 10pm and everyone was looking up at the clock and got really confused when it didn't go off! Haha. :p:

I dislike subtitles in their language on an English film, in Hong Kong we went to see a comedy, and they all laugh before the joke is said! And clap, do they clap in Poland? It's very strange!

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you. Doesn't that clock sound like the one in Prague? That is the only big clock i've seen where things come out. I remember in Prague we were out at 10pm and everyone was looking up at the clock and got really confused when it didn't go off! Haha. :p:
    Well, in the same Europe trip last summer, we went to Poznan and Prague and trust me, the Poznan one was so much better in our opinion . But the Prague clock is still really good.

I dislike subtitles in their language on an English film, in Hong Kong we went to see a comedy, and they all laugh before the joke is said! And clap, do they clap in Poland? It's very strange!
    They didn't know. But the film was in English, so obviously there had to be something in Polish.

I said I'd post a bit about Moscow. It's obviously more of a cultural place than anything else . There are things like the Pushkin gallery, it's Western art and antiques and things. There's the armoury, and they have things belonging to the Russian Tsaars like carriages, thrones and crowns and stuff.
    Theres the Red Square (the place in Moscow that's most often on TV), it's next to the Kremlin and there is also St Basils cathedral that I mentionned earlier, Lenins mausoleum (I am aware that is probably spelt wrong!).
    The city is just so nice as well, buildings and stuff are really ornate and so different to here! One of the features of Moscow is the fact that there is literally a church on every street!

Let me know if you want any more information.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the same Europe trip last summer, we went to Poznan and Prague and trust me, the Poznan one was so much better in our opinion . But the Prague clock is still really good.

They didn't know. But the film was in English, so obviously there had to be something in Polish.

I said I'd post a bit about Moscow. It's obviously more of a cultural place than anything else . There are things like the Pushkin gallery, it's Western art and antiques and things. There's the armoury, and they have things belonging to the Russian Tsaars like carriages, thrones and crowns and stuff.
    Theres the Red Square (the place in Moscow that's most often on TV), it's next to the Kremlin and there is also St Basils cathedral that I mentionned earlier, Lenins mausoleum (I am aware that is probably spelt wrong!).
    The city is just so nice as well, buildings and stuff are really ornate and so different to here! One of the features of Moscow is the fact that there is literally a church on every street!

Let me know if you want any more information.

Thank you. That is really helpful. Do you have any accommodation recommendations for these places?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That is really helpful. Do you have any accommodation recommendations for these places?
    In Moscow, no, because I can't remember where we stayed! (In my defence it was 2 years ago! In Poznan we stayed at the "Dizzy Daisy Hostel". It was a recently converted town hall or something. It was fairly cheap and did have laundry facilities which was good! But be careful of the things that all the hostels supposedly have, like internet access and stuff. We came across one, out of all the 7 hostels we stayed in that actually offered the things advertised! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Go to Slovenia - all the culture of Moscow but at a squillionth of the cost, especially as Easyjet fly straight into Ljubljana. The modern art museum there is the best I've seen in all of Europe, excepting those in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Go to Slovenia - all the culture of Moscow but at a squillionth of the cost, especially as Easyjet fly straight into Ljubljana. The modern art museum there is the best I've seen in all of Europe, excepting those in London.
    Oh thank you. Never really thought of anywhere like that. Will look into it.

- - -

Does anyone have any Fiji details?

ReputationRep:
    In Fiji, check out the websites for Awesome Adventures(http://www.awesomefiji.com) and Feejee Experience (http://www.feejeeexperience.com) and ask me about them if you want!

I didn't go ski-ing in New Zealand (wrong time of year and I don't like ski-ing!), but I remember when I was in Queenstown that people said it's a great place in winter. It's definitely a great area in summer.

I agree Poland is great - I was in Krakow last summer, which reminded me a lot of Prague but not quite as touristy. There's lots to see and do, plus daytrips to the mountains (eg Zakopane), Wielizcka salt mines and Auschwitz are easy to arrange. Alternatively my everyone seems to enjoy Budapest and Berlin. Or what about Italy? Lots of interesting places to go there! You can get cheap flights to all those places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon_1706)
    In Fiji, check out the websites for Awesome Adventures(http://www.awesomefiji.com) and Feejee Experience (http://www.feejeeexperience.com) and ask me about them if you want!

I didn't go ski-ing in New Zealand (wrong time of year and I don't like ski-ing!), but I remember when I was in Queenstown that people said it's a great place in winter. It's definitely a great area in summer.

I agree Poland is great - I was in Krakow last summer, which reminded me a lot of Prague but not quite as touristy. There's lots to see and do, plus daytrips to the mountains (eg Zakopane), Wielizcka salt mines and Auschwitz are easy to arrange. Alternatively my everyone seems to enjoy Budapest and Berlin. Or what about Italy? Lots of interesting places to go there! You can get cheap flights to all those places.

Ooh thank you. I've been looking at those sites, and i think we are going to get the Bula Pass for 21 days and also maybe the Hula Loop pass. Did you do these?

I'm debating whether to do a diving course. As my boyfriend can't dive due to lung problems, i don't know whether to spend 4 days doing a PADI course, or just a half day discover scuba course, which includes one dive.

What did you do in Fiji? And any accommodation recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thank you. I've been looking at those sites, and i think we are going to get the Bula Pass for 21 days and also maybe the Hula Loop pass. Did you do these?

I'm debating whether to do a diving course. As my boyfriend can't dive due to lung problems, i don't know whether to spend 4 days doing a PADI course, or just a half day discover scuba course, which includes one dive.

What did you do in Fiji? And any accommodation recommendations?
    I stayed in the Nadi Bay Hotel (http://www.fijinadibayhotel.com for my first night and then did a 2-day trip with Awesome Adventures. I can't remember what it was called, but I stayed overnight on South Sea Island and then did a mini-cruise. I then went back to Nadi for a night and then did the Hula Loop trip with Feejee Experience. That was amazing, as you do loads of different activities, e.g. bamboo rafting, rainforest trek, sandboarding etc, plus you also go to small villages and experience something of real Fiji culture. The island you stay at on the last night is a really nice place to stay. I'd definitely recommend the Nadi Bay Hotel for a first/ last night, as they have free airport pick-up, even in the middle of the night!

I considered doing a diving course, but it would have had to be the only thing I did in Fiji, so I decided not to. I did some great snorkelling on South Sea Island though, and there are apparently lots of other good snorkelling sites.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you are in Fiji, then stop over in America on your way to Europe. America if fab (but then again I might be bias). I reccomend LA, Las Vegas (if you are over 21 it is more fun), San Francisco, Seattle, Victoria British Columbia (I know... it's Canada, but very nice) Chicago, New York, Florida, and Washington DC. I have been to most of these places, so if you want info, just ask!

queenofdiamonds :elefant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofdiamonds)
    Well, if you are in Fiji, then stop over in America on your way to Europe. America if fab (but then again I might be bias). I reccomend LA, Las Vegas (if you are over 21 it is more fun), San Francisco, Seattle, Victoria British Columbia (I know... it's Canada, but very nice) Chicago, New York, Florida, and Washington DC. I have been to most of these places, so if you want info, just ask!

I want to but there are two reasons why i can't. My boyfriend doesn't want to, and also that we will be bringing back weird things, like weaponary, so we can't get into America with it. We have to stop in Soel (sp?) in Korea instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofdiamonds)

AHA! Persuaded my boyfriend to allow me 3 days in LA. So what does LA offer?? (Not going to Korea now, but we lose a day going that way around the world).

ReputationRep:
    AHA! Persuaded my boyfriend to allow me 3 days in LA. So what does LA offer?? (Not going to Korea now, but we lose a day going that way around the world).
    I have to admit it isn't my favourite place in the world. I also spent 3 days there on the way to Fiji and New Zealand and had mixed feelings about it. It's difficult even to try and get to know the city in that time, as it's HUGE. I stayed in a hostel in Hollywood and did some of the touristy things round there, visited Santa Monica beach, did a walking tour of Beverly Hills and Bel Air and also went to Universal Studios. I did have a good time and met some fantastic people, but I think it just overwhelmed me a bit. I also remember seeing some of the really poor areas on the way to the airport and thinking how huge the rich-poor divide seemed to be.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.