Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ever feel like you want to do more and more A levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing subjects that are mainly science based, would you want to go back and get A level qualifications in subjects like English, History, Languages, Computing, Music etc.?

Do arts students feel like they would like to do A levels in science or computing? Sometimes I feel like I want to study a lot more A levels than what I'm doing at the moment.

Do you think it's common to get your A levels and then go back for another year to study one or two more? Or am I just being ridiculous? :p:

Anyone who is an "all rounder" and chose science subjects because the prospects are (supposedly) better but wishes they had done some art subjects?

Please give your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly happy with my A-level choices (French, English lit, history and sociology) because I'm not an all-rounder! Maths was my hardest subject at GCSE and although I liked some of it and found certain topics quite easy, like algebra and data handling, I could never understand the graphs and shapes! As for the sciences, I didn't mind the content and found it quite easy to grasp, but I was absolutely useless at the practicals and they always went wrong I suppose the only A-level I might possibly do for the challenge would be maths, but I doubt I ever would because I'm not that interested in it. I'm sure it's not uncommon to do more A-levels later on though.

ReputationRep:
    If I could do it all again I'd swap chemistry for philosophy, cos it sounds like a really interesting Alevel (ie: the opposite of chemistry), and I'd have loved to do it. I'd also quite like to do English Lit, except that I dont think I could stand the exams (have always had a thing about English exams). Oh and I also really wanted to do Spanish instead of french, cos it was my favorite subject at GCSE (was even considering a languages degree at one point can you believe it?), but my college doesnt offer it:mad: .

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by kellywood_5
    I could never understand the graphs and shapes!
    Same! I could understand the more complicated things in maths but I just can't do graphs! I have to draw tangents and find the gradient on graphs in Chemistry but its just beyond me!

I'm quite strange in that I'm not really an Arts student or a Science one, I did Biology, Chemistry, History and Politics at AS and dropped Biology for A2. Sometimes I wish I was still doing it because I enjoyed some of the classes and in general my class was quite a nice one and we had some really fun lessons when we'd talk about really random things. Its also weird doing Chemistry without Biology now.

I wish I could speak a language but I wouldn't want to do it at A level because I wouldn't want to do the literature. I sometimes miss doing English Lit and kind of wish I did it for AS level and possibly A2 but as with Biology I think I'd have found it too hard or have been bored. I doubt I'd be able to do questions on genetics in Biology or cope with the coursework. My school does AQA B Biology and its sooo hard! The questions are really applied so although I understood the content I found answering the questions really difficult because I never understood what they were asking for!

ReputationRep:
    well i was an all rounder up until the start of GCSEs i got 8 7 7 in my year 9 SATs in maths, english and science respectively, which were the highest levels available to me at the time. But GCSE really turned me off Arts and humanities and i only ended up with Bs in english and geography due to poor coursework, my peformance in the exams must have been nothing short of heroic however to achieve these grades as my english coursework(50 per cent weighting) was a D and my geography coursework(25 per cent of course) was an F. People say maths and sciences is boring, i find nothing more boring than writing essays about books i don't like, in which i have to "clutch at straws" to make up rubbish about what the writer may or may not have meant or the effect he was trying to create by doing this and that, in most cases i didn't even believe half the stuff i was writing, but knew examiners love that crud. Obv A level may be totally different, but i feel no way inclined to wish i had taken these subjects. I believe things like law, psychology and politics might be interesting, but then again im of the opinion that i only come to school to get educated(and piss around with my friends), coming to school full stop is real drag, so i may as well do some hardcore subjects, Prospects all the way!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing entirely arts subjects, and I want to do more arts subjects. Maths and the sciences just aren't interesting enough to me. I can understand others find them interesting, but I don't. I do want to do more A-Levels though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_27)
    I wish I could speak a language but I wouldn't want to do it at A level because I wouldn't want to do the literature.
    I don't do any literature for A-level French :p: Literature was common in languages A-levels in the past, but now it seems quite rare and I think most of the schools that still offer it are private or grammar schools. We do coursework instead.

ReputationRep:
    ^ No, I don't do any literature for A Level French either, well, definitely not for AS anyway.

Hmm..yeh I guess I do sometimes wish I'd could do more A Levels. It took me ages deciding which ones to do. Ideally I'd have done Art, Business Studies and Further Maths too. I guess Chemistry would be useful too, and Law looks interesting - useful for general knowledge too I suppose.

But then I think of all the exams and I'm glad I'm not doing all those subjects as well! I have 17 exams this summer, that's enough!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by kellywood_5
    I don't do any literature for A-level French :p: Literature was common in languages A-levels in the past, but now it seems quite rare and I think most of the schools that still offer it are private or grammar schools. We do coursework instead.
    :eek: My school's mean then! But I know from when I did GCSE French that the Head of French disliked coursework so we didn't do it and did a Writing exam instead My school's a private school and again the same guy who's Head of French is also the Head of Modern Languages and he loves French literature and films so its probably because of him that literature is included in the language A levels at my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_27)
    :eek: My school's mean then! But I know from when I did GCSE French that the Head of French disliked coursework so we didn't do it and did a Writing exam instead My school's a private school and again the same guy who's Head of French is also the Head of Modern Languages and he loves French literature and films so its probably because of him that literature is included in the language A levels at my school
    That's so harsh! I did coursework for GCSE as well as A2, but I'm teaching myself GCSE Spanish this year, so will unfortunately have a writing exam for that

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly what i want to avoid doing, taking too many science or art based subjects and then not being happy with my decision so i think i will take Politics, History, Chemistry and Physics/geography/biology, if that is possible, i dont think i will regret those choices. I just dont know which one of the last one i should take. Some peple say to me because i am quite clever that i should be taking all the sciences and maths but i know that i'd hate that especiallyMaths. I really did want to do philosophy and ethics too but then i would have to drop a science and i dont want to take too many essay type subjects.

:confused: Im confused, anyway i think i went a bit off the point there but i don't want to be saying in a years time that i wish i could take more sciences at A level or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    There are other A levels I would like to be doing - further maths, a language and some others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollie)
    That is exactly what i want to avoid doing, taking too many science or art based subjects and then not being happy with my decision so i think i will take Politics, History, Chemistry and Physics/geography/biology, if that is possible, i dont think i will regret those choices. I just dont know which one of the last one i should take. Some peple say to me because i am quite clever that i should be taking all the sciences and maths but i know that i'd hate that especiallyMaths. I really did want to do philosophy and ethics too but then i would have to drop a science and i dont want to take too many essay type subjects.

:confused: Im confused, anyway i think i went a bit off the point there but i don't want to be saying in a years time that i wish i could take more sciences at A level or something like that.
    Don't let yourself be talked into doing maths or more sciences than you'd like just because it looks good. You have to enjoy your subjects to do well in them. Also, it annoys me when people automatically assume that maths and sciences equals clever. People taking arts and humanities subjects can be clever too! Anyway, I think you'd have a good range of subjects there, just choose 2 from history, politics and philosophy and 2 from chemistry, physics, geography and biology. History and politics are probably quite similar, so you could maybe do your favourite out of those and philosophy. As for the sciences, I'd personally go for biology and chemistry because they go so well together, whereas your options with physics would be pretty limited without maths. Geography would probably go quite well with biology too. Just go with what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, its really helpful
    but then your advice always is! xx

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd stuck with my French... I got an A* at GCSE but didn't take it up at A-Level - not enough people wanted to take the subject so there wasn;t enough people for a class. I could have took it up as an AS this year, but I would have had to drop one of my other subjects, which I like very much all of them! Plus I can't remember much French now, so I'd be rubbish Seems such a waste, especially as I know I was good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollie)
    Thanks for the advice, its really helpful
    but then your advice always is! xx
    Aww thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in yr 11 now and am still deciding my A levels for definate, but I really feel as though I want to take everything!!!

I think I will take maths, f maths, physics and economics. (and general studies and critical thinking as extra quick things)

But I also want to take chemistry, french, biology and something more fun like sociology/psycology!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 too, and I had such trouble deciding on A level subjects (as some of you probably know!) because I wanted to do so many. If there wasn't a restriction, I'd have wanted to take Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, German, Spanish and History!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelee-jublee)
    I wish I'd stuck with my French... I got an A* at GCSE but didn't take it up at A-Level - not enough people wanted to take the subject so there wasn;t enough people for a class. I could have took it up as an AS this year, but I would have had to drop one of my other subjects, which I like very much all of them! Plus I can't remember much French now, so I'd be rubbish Seems such a waste, especially as I know I was good at it.
    Most unis have foreign language centres that offer evening classes, so you could probably pick up your French again next year if you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Most unis have foreign language centres that offer evening classes, so you could probably pick up your French again next year if you wanted.
    Yes, I know the one I'm going to does, so it'll definitely be a thought! Thanks

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.