The Student Room Group

Anyone going to Ucl or Manchester?!

I just can't decide it's ridiculous! Ucl is obv better reputation and as a course- plus i wasnt all that impressed by manchester's open day. But i felt more at home in manchester as lets just say i prefer to party than work too hard:p: Although then i think London obv could hav amazing nightlife too if i wanted and i do want to be academicaly challenged otherwise i'l die of boredom, but of the people i met etc at both places the people in manchester seemed to have a bit more personality and be abit more fun opposed to wanting to do nothing but work:redface:

Sorry,sweeping generalisations i know! but is anyone going to or at manchester or ucl and what helped your decision? what should i do?! Thanks xxx
Reply 1
I cant decide between Manchester and Leeds for psychology, i know making the decision is so hard! Theres just something putting me off manchester though very slightly, although i dont know what it is! Manchester will be cheaper than London for you though.
Reply 2
Soooo wanna go manchester, but doubt am gonna get the grades. For me, it's between manchester and aston (aston being the most likely to accept me + they have a sandwich course)

I applied to leeds aswell, but havent even seen it yet and to be honest, won't get into leeds if don't get into manchester...

Let's just say I like to party hard aswell, but absolutely love psychology aswell, so for me, studying psych and clubbing is my idea of heaven.

Do you reacon manchester would be lenient on grades? They are asking AAB-ABB and it's more likely am gona get AAD-ABD (damn physics!) I have no hope do I?
Reply 3
If you're worried about having no social life at UCl then I think ur completely wrong- UCL students don't work that hard. They work, but most go out a lot. My best friend's there at the moment and so is my boyfriend- they both love it there. You can spend life at UCL working the whole time, but most peope don't, especially not in the 1st year. What gave you the impression that UCl students work all the time, just out of interest?
I'd remember the money thing as well- London is expensive.
Reply 4
Im going to manchester uni, i live here and i love the people and general feel of manchester as a city (i know its slightly biased :smile: ), its so welcoming and you will find that, on the financial side of things, manchester is a much better option.

Also, personally i did like the look of the university when i went their on an open day. Im just curious, what is the reputation of manchester as a university to study psychology at, in terms of how respected it is and the teaching quality in comparison to other universities such as UCL?
Reply 5
UCL has the largest psychology dept in the UK. Also, it covers almost all aspects of psychology--social, child, psychoanalytic, art, etc. etc.
i live in london and can i say there is no other city in england that boasts the nightlife london can offer you. there is literally hundreds of bars,clubs,theatres, pubs on every corner. yeah some places ar eexpensive but once you start to know ur way around you can find plenty of cheap pleaces. especially for students there are many club nights that grils get in free or its like a pound or a fiver before 11!

Latest