Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My brother managed to drop my laptop while it was on. The power cable was disconnected and the battery fell out.

I put the battery back in and there appeared to be no physical damage. When I started it up I was taken straight to the BIOS screen where I loaded default values and restarted.

Now, everything seems fine BUT my wireless LAN connection is no longer working. Windows can't detect any problems - basically nothing is coming up in the wireless networks window (normally there are 3 or 4, including my house's own network).

Is this due to physical damage which would need to be repaired, or is there something I can do to fix it?

It's urgent because I really need access to the internet at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    try reinstalling the drivers for it on the laptop

ReputationRep:
    I left the driver CD back at uni

ReputationRep:
    Open the cover for the mini-PCI slot on the back of the laptop. Remove and re-insert the card.
    To remove it, move the little clips parralel to the board untill the card spring up into a 45degree position. Slide it out at 45 degress. Slide it back in and puch it down over the clips.

ReputationRep:
    thanks PM i'll try that.

The speakers have gone very, very quite too...

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't find anything to open ... all there appears to be at the back is a power point, mouse connector, 3 USB's, headphones/speakers, lpt, monitor connection, RJ45, telephone cable and one little thing I'm not sure what it is.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be a screwdriver job on the base of the machine. There should be a seperate panel for mini pci, memory and harddisk unless the manufactuer has been especially mean.

ReputationRep:
    OK I can make out 3 panels on the base - battery, plus 2 which are screwed down. I'll try to open them...

ReputationRep:
    heh. i can't bloody unscrew it. we dont even have the right screwdriver

ReputationRep:
    It'll be a return to manufacturer job then, they should be able to sort the speakers out too. Could be expensive if you've damagaed the motherboard though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** how do I know which is which? I don't want to mess things up any further here...

ReputationRep:
    I think I uncovered the HD and the CPU... still no sign of the PCI though ^o)

ReputationRep:
    In modern laptops, virtually everything is integrated onto a single motherboard. If a single componenet has been broken then they'll replace the whole board.

However, its quite possible that all that happened is a couple of cables have been moved or disconnected. But, you need someone confident looking at laptops to have a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    It's under warranty which I'm rpetty sure should cover this sort of thing. It's just very, very bad timing with coursework deadlines and exams just around the corner!!!

It was a government-paid laptop so I expect it's made by the cheapest manufacturer...

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to contact whoever you got it from then. You might want to chanage your story about how it got damaged though, since a warantee doesn.t cover accidental damage.

ReputationRep:
    I know... they better not refuse to repair it! I'll be ****ed!

ReputationRep:
    Could be as simple as the antenna on the wireless network card coming off the card - try the machine right next to your wireless router/access point and see if the laptop can find a signal?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry!

I have a similar problem with my desktop PC whenever I open it up and change anything inside. It sorts itself out once the PC and wireless access point are left switched off overnight.

In the meantime I just use a long ethernet cable to connect to my network.

ReputationRep:
    And you could always get a USB wireless thingy.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate has a laptop with the centrino onboard wireless and it has a little switch on the front that will turn wireless and infra red on and off. Something like shift+F8 also turns his wireless on/off.

Have a look in you manual to see if you have anything like that which will turn it off.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.