Urgent problem! Please help!! Watch

Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
My brother managed to drop my laptop while it was on. The power cable was disconnected and the battery fell out.

I put the battery back in and there appeared to be no physical damage. When I started it up I was taken straight to the BIOS screen where I loaded default values and restarted.

Now, everything seems fine BUT my wireless LAN connection is no longer working. Windows can't detect any problems - basically nothing is coming up in the wireless networks window (normally there are 3 or 4, including my house's own network).

Is this due to physical damage which would need to be repaired, or is there something I can do to fix it?

It's urgent because I really need access to the internet at the moment...
iceman_jondoe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
try reinstalling the drivers for it on the laptop
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
I left the driver CD back at uni
PieMaster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Open the cover for the mini-PCI slot on the back of the laptop. Remove and re-insert the card.
To remove it, move the little clips parralel to the board untill the card spring up into a 45degree position. Slide it out at 45 degress. Slide it back in and puch it down over the clips.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
thanks PM i'll try that.

The speakers have gone very, very quite too...
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
I actually can't find anything to open ... all there appears to be at the back is a power point, mouse connector, 3 USB's, headphones/speakers, lpt, monitor connection, RJ45, telephone cable and one little thing I'm not sure what it is.
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It'll be a screwdriver job on the base of the machine. There should be a seperate panel for mini pci, memory and harddisk unless the manufactuer has been especially mean.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
OK I can make out 3 panels on the base - battery, plus 2 which are screwed down. I'll try to open them...
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
heh. i can't bloody unscrew it. we dont even have the right screwdriver
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It'll be a return to manufacturer job then, they should be able to sort the speakers out too. Could be expensive if you've damagaed the motherboard though.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Oh **** how do I know which is which? I don't want to mess things up any further here...
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
I think I uncovered the HD and the CPU... still no sign of the PCI though ^o)
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In modern laptops, virtually everything is integrated onto a single motherboard. If a single componenet has been broken then they'll replace the whole board.

However, its quite possible that all that happened is a couple of cables have been moved or disconnected. But, you need someone confident looking at laptops to have a look at it.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
It's under warranty which I'm rpetty sure should cover this sort of thing. It's just very, very bad timing with coursework deadlines and exams just around the corner!!!

It was a government-paid laptop so I expect it's made by the cheapest manufacturer...
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Probably best to contact whoever you got it from then. You might want to chanage your story about how it got damaged though, since a warantee doesn.t cover accidental damage.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
I know... they better not refuse to repair it! I'll be ****ed!
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Could be as simple as the antenna on the wireless network card coming off the card - try the machine right next to your wireless router/access point and see if the laptop can find a signal?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't worry!

I have a similar problem with my desktop PC whenever I open it up and change anything inside. It sorts itself out once the PC and wireless access point are left switched off overnight.

In the meantime I just use a long ethernet cable to connect to my network.
Peacey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And you could always get a USB wireless thingy.
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My housemate has a laptop with the centrino onboard wireless and it has a little switch on the front that will turn wireless and infra red on and off. Something like shift+F8 also turns his wireless on/off.

Have a look in you manual to see if you have anything like that which will turn it off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (186)
52.54%
No (168)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise