Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a friend of mine did Maths, Computing and Philosophy in 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but was he accepted to the Arts Faculty or the Science Faculty?...Art let you take maths and computing if you were accepted to them and not another faculty. I'm not sure if they would allow someone from the science faculty to study one of their subjects in conjunction with sciences(philosophy)

ReputationRep:
    Science faculty. It's very common for science students to take an arts subject.

ReputationRep:
    That's great!! I was worried i wouldn't be able to do philosophy and i'd just have to sit in on lectures!

ReputationRep:
    So how would i go about taking on Philosophy as well as science subjects despite the fact that i'm admitted to the science faculty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    So how would i go about taking on Philosophy as well as science subjects despite the fact that i'm admitted to the science faculty?
    From what I can gather, a short time before you start your course, the Uni sends you out a username & password for a thing called WebSurf, where you indicate what subjects you want to take. And then you are allocated an Advisor of Studies whom you meet with and discuss your choices

I got a letter sent from the Uni which said:

"You will recieve further information in due course and you will be invited to meet with an Advisor of Studies who will help you plan your first year curriculum and give you any other help you may require. Before then, you will recieve information on how to access your student record on-line. All students are required to pre-register on-line before meeting their advisor. Details to follow."

ETA: http://www.websurf.gla.ac.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to change your courses yourself on the Websurf thingy, I think your advisor handles that bit. At least mine did. You'll get a letter from them in August asking you to make an appointment to see them. But anyway, they'll tell you exactly what to do.

On the FAQ it says:

I don't know which courses I should be entering when I am pre-registering.

Don't worry. If you are unsure of the courses you should enrol on, do not enter any. You will be able to make your choices when you meet with your adviser.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Mush, had a wee look at your profile - I see that you're going straight from 5th year at school to Uni? I'm just curious (& nosy!) as to why you've decided to go to Uni so soon, when most students apply when they're in 6th year and already have a set of Higher results.

I didn't do 6th year because I couldn't bear another year at school, but I went and hung around college for a couple of years (not really doing terribly much) because I felt I wasn't quite ready for Uni yet. But i'm going this September, at the ripe old age of 20 :p:

< / end life story >

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamheavy)
    Hey Mush, had a wee look at your profile - I see that you're going straight from 5th year at school to Uni? I'm just curious (& nosy!) as to why you've decided to go to Uni so soon, when most students apply when they're in 6th year and already have a set of Higher results.

I didn't do 6th year because I couldn't bear another year at school, but I went and hung around college for a couple of years (not really doing terribly much) because I felt I wasn't quite ready for Uni yet. But i'm going this September, at the ripe old age of 20 :p:

< / end life story >

:p:
    Hey, yeah well it's pretty much the same idea of *not being able to stand another year* lol. On top of that, the career that i'm really hoping to get onto when i leave uni has a maximum age of application of 23. (RAF officer). So if all goes well this year then i should be 20/21 in my last year of uni and this gives me a good 2/3 years to keep trying for that career should i fail first time around. There are quite a few people in my year doing the same, although they are quite a lot older than me(i'm a young 5th year, i really should be in 4th year(started school early)

I have worried about maybe being too young, and consequently not enjoying the social side of uni quite as much...and deferring my entry was definitely a possibility. But i don't feel the need to anymore for some reason. Hopefully everything will work out OK though.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.