Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just CANNOT DECIDE on accommodation. It's driving me craaazzzyyyy.

Ok so Clifton's got a better location, but to be honest it's pretty clear that Stoke Bishop has a much more studenty feel to it, simply because there are more of them.

Definitely catered.

So that leaves Badock, Hiatt Baker, Wills and Churchill, right?

I've ruled out Badock, partly because I spoke face-to-face with a student who said the food was beyond gross, lol. Don't wanna go to Churchill, so I guess it's between Hiatt Baker and Wills.

Current students from each of these two halls, please advise me. Thank u!

ReputationRep:
    I'll just focus on Hiatt Baker here, people from Wills can give the Wills side (I’m sure if I tried it wouldn't be the best account :P)

Hiatt Baker has a rep for 2 things; most sociable and best catered food. Its the biggest of all the halls in Stoke Bishop and even though it may not looks as nice from the outside, its certainly not a bad place at all. You get a good mix of people, a fantastic bar and the Union shop (for all of Stoke Bishop) is located at Hiatt Baker. There’s also a games room with a pool table and two full sized snooker tables, and free (unlike Uni Hall :P) table football in the bar, and music rooms, one with a piano. There are also regular events in the dining hall (parties, formals and the play).

I never visited Hiatt Baker but it was my first choice hall. The reason being I didn't really care hugely where I wound up and the person who gave the Bio Science open day tour was incredibly enthusiastic about Hiatt Baker having being a resident there himself. I certainly haven't regretted my choice and would recommend Hiatt Baker just as enthusiastically to anybody not sure about where to stay as its such a fun and great place.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Draig] Hiatt Baker has a rep for 2 things; most sociable and best catered food.

Hmm....best catered food...i have heard the same utterance from practically every other hall, excluding Badock. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Spot on. Eeveryone seems to think their their hall is the best for food...it's all too confusing. I still haven't decided on accommodation - the more I read, the less sure I am....

ReputationRep:
    Its not exactly a crisis, we havn't even got the forms yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    I still haven't decided on accommodation - the more I read, the less sure I am....
    I totally agree! What makes it difficult is the fact that I haven't actually SEEN any of the accommodation, so I'm basically relying on the prospectus and what people say - pretty frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry_Cola)
    I just CANNOT DECIDE on accommodation. It's driving me craaazzzyyyy.

Ok so Clifton's got a better location, but to be honest it's pretty clear that Stoke Bishop has a much more studenty feel to it, simply because there are more of them.

Definitely catered.

So that leaves Badock, Hiatt Baker, Wills and Churchill, right?

I've ruled out Badock, partly because I spoke face-to-face with a student who said the food was beyond gross, lol. Don't wanna go to Churchill, so I guess it's between Hiatt Baker and Wills.

Current students from each of these two halls, please advise me. Thank u!
    Seriously, the food is not THAT bad. It certainly isn't "beyond gross". The only thing that is gross is that particular exaggeration.

Yes, the food is not brilliant. Yes, the food is irratic and sometimes random. Yes, the breakfasts are disappointing. Irratic, random, not brilliant, occasionally disappointing and good on a Friday - now that's Badock food. Anybody that says it's beyond gross is very very fussy and is probably too used to being cooked for personally by Gordon Ramsey.

The food is not a reason to pick Badock...but it's no reason to discount Badock. No person i know at Badock (including myself :rolleyes: ) would swap our amazing bar for any improvement in the food.

If you are willing to contemplate a year at Hiatt Baker then you should be more than prepared to spend a year at Badock.They are very similar halls - both very sociable, similar in size - Hiatt Baker has better food, Badock has a legendary bar.

At the end of the day (what a wonderful cliche that is)... you will most probably be happy wherever you end up. Very few people end up being unhappy enough to want to leave. And most people end up thinking their hall is the best or at the very least come to appreciate the certain advantages that their hall has over others. Plus, you are living there for less than one year - to be put in a hall which isn't up to your high standards isn't exactly eternal damnation. At Bristol there is no such thing as an accommodation crisis.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Phil: everywhere's good in comparison to a lot of Universities' accomodation. Most unis don't have the OPTION of catered. And Badock food, though I found it pretty bad, is not unbearable as long as you pick up tricks to deal with it. Soon enough you'll either learn to like it or you'll have found other food sources, such as hanging around in the Merchant Venturers' Building and waiting for departmental lunches to arrive. Bliss.

Also: the lifesaviour: AlkaSeltzer. Take two, dissolved in a pint of water before bed, and then two in another pint when you wake up. Eliminates hangovers.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going for wills and then badock, not bothered about the food i'll eat anything me

ReputationRep:
    You'll love wherever you end up to be honest. I lived in Wills in my first year, so if you have any specific questions about there then PM me (and on a food related note, their Saturday brunch was the highlight of my year )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    Spot on. Eeveryone seems to think their their hall is the best for food...it's all too confusing. I still haven't decided on accommodation - the more I read, the less sure I am....
    Me too! I have been completely sure about Goldney for ages now and then i suddenly thought 'crap! i have to share a bathroom with other people! That'll be the weirdest thing!'. Also, i still need to find out if goldney really is as quite as people make out.

ReputationRep:
    well then the bathroom thing....you only really have durdham with guarenteed ensuite

ReputationRep:
    or winky

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, the food is THAT bad. It certainly isn't "beyond gross". The only thing that is gross is that particular exaggeration.
    Classic, hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Hiatt baker food is occasionally bad as well. sigh.

ReputationRep:
    CHH food voted best catered hall food in the Epigram last year. Personally it is really good on some occasions and quite bad on others, but I think thats the way with hall food.
    BTW Clifton halls aren't that bad, it all depends on the people you meet there which for a large part is out of your control, but most of the people are great here, if a little quieter than perhaps those at stoke bishop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    or winky
    I'm going to WINKY!!

ReputationRep:
    What's Winky? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Winkworth House

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    or winky
    ha ha ha. thats halarious! wots with all the phallic nic named halls?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.