Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm

Really is sad that people would abuse people simply based on nationality...

Why is it so VOGUE to be anti-american?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

I can only echo that it's pretty dumb to hate on the basis of nationality....
    The article is somewhat reminiscent for me, of being English in Scotland, and tales of it from others, although tbh I never experienced anything quite so overt as that.

ReputationRep:
    People who judge others based upon their nationality, and the things their country mite have done, is unacceptable.

Having said that, alot of Americans jumped the gun and blamed Saddam for 9/11 for instance, and i bet you alot of Muslims got alot of abuse due to that.

Trouble with people today is that they are more keen on pointing the finger at others, rather than looking at themselves for the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Having said that, alot of Americans jumped the gun and blamed Saddam for 9/11 for instance, and i bet you alot of Muslims got alot of abuse due to that.
    Only because they were fed a crock of **** by the White House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

Not as sad as this......

Some friends now advise her to tell people she is Canadian, to deflect potential abuse, an option she calls "sad".

What could be sadder than pretending to be a Canadian?.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Only because they were fed a crock of **** by the White House.
    Thats true, but is it the White Houses fault that the people believed it?

Some mite say yes, its their duty to be honest and truthful. But then, have they considered the possibility that they mite not be honset and truthful?

This is why people should not trust their governments, because power corrupts absolutely. Rumsfeld n Cheney were only padding their own pockets with money, they really dont care about Iraq and its people, or the American people for that matter.

But again, is that the White Houses fault? Its not their fault people today are so gullable and easily led like sheep.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what that **** 'Scott from Stirling' is on about. Anyone seen his comment? He actually believes individuals should be held personally accountable for everything their government does.

ReputationRep:

Some mite say yes, its their duty to be honest and truthful. But then, have they considered the possibility that they mite not be honset and truthful?

This is why people should not trust their governments, because power corrupts absolutely. Rumsfeld n Cheney were only padding their own pockets with money, they really dont care about Iraq and its people, or the American people for that matter.

But again, is that the White Houses fault? Its not their fault people today are so gullable and easily led like sheep.
    Give me a break with your pity; you're no more knowledgeable than the average American on the street, and just because you happen to agree with the position that is curently "cool" in Britain and Europe in general doesn't make you any smarter than someone who disagrees with you.

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    I don't know what that **** 'Scott from Stirling' is on about. Anyone seen his comment? He actually believes individuals should be held personally accountable for everything their government does.
    I think he's the type of person the article is about.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what you mite have interepted my txt as, but it is not what i said.

What the White House/Bush Admin has done is wrong, whats more, illegal, on many different aspects, some proven (wiretaps), some not (9/11).

But, we the people, have let it happen. Just look at Bush now. He should be imprisoned for misleading the public and congress just for Iraq! Yet the majority of people stay silent, and dont really care about it, thinking that tomorrow is always going to be a sunny day. He should be imprisoned NOW, yet he is not. Whats more, sitting back and doing nothing is only making things worse for EVERYONE, not just us in the USA/UK.

Im sure if every American knew the truth and understood what Bush has done, and the criminality of it, everyone would march to Washington and kick his ass! (before he gets imprisoned....where he should be tortured...ahaha the irony...)

"And I forget
    Just what it takes
    And yet I guess it makes me smile
    I found it hard
    Its hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind" - Kurt, Nirvana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Give me a break with your pity; you're no more knowledgeable than the average American on the street, and just because you happen to agree with the position that is curently "cool" in Britain and Europe in general doesn't make you any smarter than someone who disagrees with you.
    As i said in another thread, people today are more inclined to point the finger at others...

I dont know what you think is "cool"... if talking geopolitics is cool, then i should be on MTV!

I also never said i was smarter than anyone, nor do i think that. However, i can see whats going on in the world, like millions of others, yet, we are still in the minority, with the majority completely unaware of whats going on.

I am for freedom and peace and equality. Being cool or "the best" is not whats on my mind. I gave up on "cool" when i realised that being yourself is what matters. I gave up on being the best when i realised all humans are equal.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, what an utter, utter, utter ******.
    This kind of anti-Americanism is ****ing pathetic, and gives Brits a bad name.

PS Whats the betting he wrote that using a PC running windows, while surfing the internet using internet explorer?

ReputationRep:
    As i said in another thread, people today are more inclined to point the finger at others...

I dont know what you think is "cool"... if talking geopolitics is cool, then i should be on MTV!

I also never said i was smarter than anyone, nor do i think that. However, i can see whats going on in the world, like millions of others, yet, we are still in the minority, with the majority completely unaware of whats going on.

I am for freedom and peace and equality. Being cool or "the best" is not whats on my mind. I gave up on "cool" when i realised that being yourself is what matters. I gave up on being the best when i realised all humans are equal.
    No offense (actually, offense intended), but you know absolutely nothing about the American political process and you're just making a fool out of yourself by trying to sound all high and mighty just because you think you're morally superior to those who disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out - MIGHT not mite

This is a mite:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    People are supposed to assume everythign their governments say is a lie?

Why on earth would you do that?

Anyoen CAN lie to you... but you dont assume that the government will mislead you on such an issue.

Oh really? So if a con artist dupes you out of your life-savings they can just blame you? Or if a rapist date rapes a woman by offering her a drink and droping some ruffies in there - shes to blame?

ReputationRep:
    What the White House/Bush Admin has done is wrong, whats more, illegal, on many different aspects,:
    some proven (wiretaps),
    There is absolutely NO consensus on whether or not that was indeed illegal.

some not (9/11).
    :rolleyes:

But, we the people, have let it happen. Just look at Bush now. He should be imprisoned for misleading the public and congress just for Iraq! Yet the majority of people stay silent, and dont really care about it, thinking that tomorrow is always going to be a sunny day. He should be imprisoned NOW, yet he is not. Whats more, sitting back and doing nothing is only making things worse for EVERYONE, not just us in the USA/UK.
    Can you provide this conclusive proof that he knew there were no WMD?

Im sure if every American knew the truth and understood what Bush has done, and the criminality of it, everyone would march to Washington and kick his ass! (before he gets imprisoned....where he should be tortured...ahaha the irony...)
    May i ask hwo old you are?

"And I forget
    Just what it takes
    And yet I guess it makes me smile
    I found it hard
    Its hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind" - Kurt, Nirvana
    Ahh ok ... I think I can guess.

ReputationRep:
    This extreme form of individualism - 'I'm only responsible for what I myself did, not what my government does in my name' - is precisely the sort of thing which gives Americans such a bad name.

Sorry Scot, but that's what you said. I don't believe you can be saying that people are responsible if they vote for the opposing party, and it's justified to hate a nations people as a whole as a result of a government's actions, so you must be saying that it's justified to hate someone for their support of an administration that you believe behaves reprehensibly? Aren't we coming around to the old question that's come up before, can you hate somebody solely because of their political views?, or conversely, can you like someone whose views you find abhorrent?

Why is there Anti-Americanisim, only if people can get it through there heads if it wasnt for america Britain would not be the way it is today, we wouldnt even have a NHS and those immigrants will be going to ammerica.

ReputationRep:
    This extreme form of individualism - 'I'm only responsible for what I myself did, not what my government does in my name' - is precisely the sort of thing which gives Americans such a bad name.

Sorry Scot, but that's what you said. I don't believe you can be saying that people are responsible if they vote for the opposing party, and it's justified to hate a nations people as a whole as a result of a government's actions, so you must be saying that it's justified to hate someone for their support of an administration that you believe behaves reprehensibly? Aren't we coming around to the old question that's come up before, can you hate somebody solely because of their political views?, or conversely, can you like someone whose views you find abhorrent?
    This isn't even about holding people accountable for their government's actions; it's a matter of having proper manners. Even if someone has made many mistakes, why should I treat them badly if they have done nothing wrong to me (and those I know)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    This isn't even about holding people accountable for their government's actions; it's a matter of having proper manners. Even if someone has made many mistakes, why should I treat them badly if they have done nothing wrong to me (and those I know)?
    Agreed. I'm not saying any of these actions are just. Clearly they're not. But I'm trying to establish what he sees as justifying the sentiment behind the actions.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the Anti-Americanism in question is an unthinking left-wing anti-Bush sentiment gone mad.

I would say that since visiting America I am fairly anti-American. I don't like the culture (they don't have any), I think many Americans are fake, I think American politics is farcical... and yet I think America has a very important place in the world - and the world is a much better place under American leadership.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.