Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    sorry it was an exageration. its more like 10 years. can't remember where i read it. but its the widely accepted view in economic circles i think. except for the rusty-type uber-aptriots who deny it'll ever happen.
    Well considering that China's GDP is about 1/6th of the US's and no other country has a shot at overtaking it, I dont think you heard right.

Unless they meant GDP PPP which is in many ways a flawed measure for this purpose.

Not to mention the fact that China wont be growing at anythign like that kind of rate.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Well considering that China's GDP is about 1/6th of the US's and no other country has a shot at overtaking it, I dont think you heard right.

Unless they meant GDP PPP which is in many ways a flawed measure for this purpose.

Not to mention the fact that China wont be growing at anything like that kind of rate.
    i think it was PPP actually. can't say i know that much about the diff standards of measureing GDP! lol

ReputationRep:
    i think it was PPP actually. can't say i know that much about the diff standards of measureing GDP! lol
    Heh .. yeah ... well I would say its a pretty poor comparison when it comes to output comparison globally. Have a look on wikipedia... some decent articles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Intolerance of intolerance is hardly intolerance in a meaningful sense.
    I labeled these people as intolerant without ever even meeting one. If you live in the northeast, you can spend much of your life without meeting a devout born again christian.
    Admit it, we think we are better than they are. We look down on them like they are peasants. We think we are smarter them because we don't believe in "fairy tales".
    The elites attack religion in the name of freedom, tolerance, and openmindedness. It makes me wonder just who is being intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I labeled these people as intolerant without ever even meeting one. If you live in the northeast, you can spend much of your life without meeting a devout born again christian.
    I have met a few in my time. But I didn't have to to know what their beliefs entail.

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    Admit it, we think we are better than they are. We look down on them like they are peasants. We think we are smarter them because we don't believe in "fairy tales". The elites attack religion in the name of freedom, tolerance, and openmindedness. It makes me wonder just who is being intolerant.
    Do I think I am better than those who judge others on the basis of some moral code the veracity and authority of which is founded upon unproven assertions? Do I think I am better than people who condemn others on the basis of their sexual preference, on whether they decide to get married? On whether they decide that a 2 day old collection of cells is not a human being, on whether using a condom is a sin even if it helps prevent AIDS?

Yeah - I suppose I do.

Do I think that their arguments in favour of the truth of their religion are intellectually flawed?

Yeah - I suppose I do.

In the end - most people dont mind others having their own personal private beliefs, but I am certainly intolerant of others trying to impose their baseless beliefs on others though moral blackmail, scare tactics, or legislative lobying.

There is nothing intolerant in the colloquial sense in being intolerant about that.

ReputationRep:
    And, yet you're trying to educate me on the ways of the world? If you can't distinguish the difference between some of the basic measurements of economics, how do you come off trying to educate me about global politics/economics? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    top of what?
    its not the worlds most desirable place to live
    its not the place with highest living standards.
    its not the place with best social support
    its not the place with largest GDP per capita
    And its only going to have largest GDP total for ~ 6 more years.
    Its not the place with lowest crime
    Nor the safest place.
    It is however the place with largest military spending.

I don't doubt its probably a great place to be. but you can't objectively say in any way it is the 'best place on earth' or anything of the kind. by all tested methods it isn't. Its simply like the fat kid that was top dog in primary school.
    but sooner or later the other kids hit puberty, and wham, dominance is lost...
    So, we're not on top, but we're the fat kid that dominates? And, we're not the best, but we're soon to fall from the top?

We could sit and talk semantics all day. I could argue with you for minutes about statistics and rankings as such. And, it would only take that amount of time because you have yet to provide a single source other than, "I read it somewhere." You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    sorry it was an exageration. its more like 10 years. can't remember where i read it. but its the widely accepted view in economic circles i think. except for the rusty-type uber-patriots who deny it'll ever happen.
    I appreciate your insight on philosophical notions of Darwinism. The "I think" method is most intriguing. Trying using some actual information when you argue. Might actually give yourself some credibility for a change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

First programmable computer design - Charles Babbage
    Let's not forget Turing there also

ReputationRep:
    sorry it was an exageration. its more like 10 years. can't remember where i read it. but its the widely accepted view in economic circles i think. except for the rusty-type uber-patriots who deny it'll ever happen.
    What utter BS. Even using the PPP, the US will maintain the largest economy in the world for decades to come. The only way it won't is if you consider the EU to be one economy, in which case some stats point it to it being slightly larger than the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Do I think I am better than those who judge others on the basis of some moral code the veracity and authority of which is founded upon unproven assertions?
    Well, you are living by their moral code (most of it, anyway) whether you realize it or not. Our entire judicial system is based on the 10 commandments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    Is that a picture of the American product "Barbie" in your avatar picture?

And, surely your name isn't a play off of the American network show Ally McBeal?
    Unlike americans, I understand and enjoy irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    Unlike americans, I understand and enjoy irony.
    It seems you understand hypocrisy just as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Please tell me what a New Yorker and a Texan have in common.
    I am not going to engage in a slanging match about all negative traits that americans as a nation seem to share, which will be followed by you simply throwing the some insults as me, or coming up with numerous famous examples of americans who dont fit the stereotype. I was making a point that stereotyping negatively or otherwise does not deserve the bad press it gets.

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to engage in a slanging match about all negative traits that americans as a nation seem to share, which will be followed by you simply throwing the some insults as me, or coming up with numerous famous examples of americans who dont fit the stereotype. I was making a point that stereotyping negatively or otherwise does not deserve the bad press it gets.
    It does when it's blatantly wrong. So what are the similarities? Are New Yorkers all white Anglo-Saxon protestants? Are they religious? Are they obese? Do they carry guns? Do they vote Republican? Do they drive SUVs?

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea why I dislike americans or whether I am wrong in my beliefs. So you can't really argue on that point. They both have accents which annoy me.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    What utter BS. Even using the PPP, the US will maintain the largest economy in the world for decades to come. The only way it won't is if you consider the EU to be one economy, in which case some stats point it to it being slightly larger than the US.
    the likes of the economist it seems would beg to differ.
    but then they don't have such talented people like youself on their payroll do they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    Riiiiight. Last time I checked, I didn't shoot anyone, nor have I been shot at.

"Clearly the entire world like every single country being anti-American hasn't convinced you otherwise."
    If anything that reinforces the notion that America is "at the top," although, I don't personally don't look at it that way. I can't remember the last time I saw an Anti-Egyptian thread? Everyone guns for the top dog. So, by logic, if everyone is gunning for the United States, then the United States would be the top dog.

Yeah, we anger more extremist. So, the reason X amount of trains blew up in the London subway system within a few minutes of one another was due to London being an American city? Get a grip. Everyone want to climb the ladder, and the UK is right along side the US at the top. You say you'll sit back and watch as if you aren't in the mix? It seems that you are the delusional one, not me.
    As i said lets go on our merry way, and in time we will see who is right and who is wrong.

And as i say it is because you think you are the top dogs that people hate you, nobody cares if you actually are or not, well obviously Americans do. I don't see what benefit there is of being the "top dog". I live in Britain and probable enjoy a better life than most Americans certainly most non white Americans. That questions what the hell America are doing. If they are the greatest country in the world. Why is there such a racial/class divide? Why do people live in poverty? This suggests that even though they have more potential than any other country to provide for their citizens they do not. Not even an NHS for christ sake. I think we need to re-think what we measure a country by. Perghaps you should "overthrow the american government and replace it with a freely elected democracy". Then maybe your political system will be driven by morals and not greed.

And because you force your opinions down other peoples throat and, it always seems to be that its your way or no way, everybody hates you even more

But be proud you are the top dogs. After all your perspective and false satisfaction is all that counts. The hatred of billions means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea why I dislike americans or whether I am wrong in my beliefs. So you can't really argue on that point. They both have accents which annoy me.
    '
    Great reason there. :rolleyes:

Let's face it. Most people that dislike the US and it's people do so for a number of reasons, but envy is not on the top of the list. A small isolated country like New Zealand might be envious of superpower status (for example) but other factors drive peoples angst.

Blind, unreasonable hatred is rarely caused by simple things like envy or jealosy.

So arguments about GDP don't really explain anything.

(Original post by djchak)
    '
    Great reason there. :rolleyes:

Let's face it. Most people that dislike the US and it's people do so for a number of reasons, but envy is not on the top of the list. A small isolated country like New Zealand might be envious of superpower status (for example) but other factors drive peoples angst.

Blind, unreasonable hatred is rarely caused by simple things like envy or jealosy.

So arguments about GDP don't really explain anything.
    to be honest i think that a person who puts that much stock in the size and influence of their state when the safety, security and prosperity of their own is secure really is lacking something in their life.

or maybe its just that i dont have much of a patriotic ethos.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.