The Student Room Group

DeLoitte BrightStart or University? Help!

I'm not sure where to post this, here seems a plausible place.. If you're not familiar with the BrightStart scheme, it's run by DeLoitte to recruit "high achieving" school leavers.. (My first thoughts were "high-achieving" isn't that high!) But anyway, it's pitched as a viable alternative to uni as you do finish up with a ACA ICAEW award, but is it better than uni?

So I've just left school and deferred an unconditional offer to study CS at the University of Glasgow. I have never been keen on the idea of uni, I think I'd rather work and learn, so when I saw the Bright Start scheme I thought it sounded great.

My main concern is whether or not it offers suitable career opportunities for me as an individual. I have over 450 UCAS pts according to the charts so I'm concerned that the program will be below my level.

They say you need 320 UCAS pts to get onto the Corporate Finance scheme, but because it's based in Restructuring Finance I was strongly considering the Audit scheme instead.. Just thinking of future career progression..

My parents are very keen for me to go to university, but the more I think about it, the more I like the sound of going straight into work. So long as I know I will have the same opportunities as I would have getting a good degree from a good university.

What do you think? If you were in my situation (slight dislike of university) would you go for Bright Start or Uni? I'm not too bothered about the whole "uni experience" I'm pretty sure I can get that in the next year ha

Cheers anyway!
Reply 1
Original post by 06njack
I'm not sure where to post this, here seems a plausible place.. If you're not familiar with the BrightStart scheme, it's run by DeLoitte to recruit "high achieving" school leavers.. (My first thoughts were "high-achieving" isn't that high!) But anyway, it's pitched as a viable alternative to uni as you do finish up with a ACA ICAEW award, but is it better than uni?

So I've just left school and deferred an unconditional offer to study CS at the University of Glasgow. I have never been keen on the idea of uni, I think I'd rather work and learn, so when I saw the Bright Start scheme I thought it sounded great.

My main concern is whether or not it offers suitable career opportunities for me as an individual. I have over 450 UCAS pts according to the charts so I'm concerned that the program will be below my level.

They say you need 320 UCAS pts to get onto the Corporate Finance scheme, but because it's based in Restructuring Finance I was strongly considering the Audit scheme instead.. Just thinking of future career progression..

My parents are very keen for me to go to university, but the more I think about it, the more I like the sound of going straight into work. So long as I know I will have the same opportunities as I would have getting a good degree from a good university.

What do you think? If you were in my situation (slight dislike of university) would you go for Bright Start or Uni? I'm not too bothered about the whole "uni experience" I'm pretty sure I can get that in the next year ha

Cheers anyway!

Hiya,

I actually currently work for Deloitte and there are a few things you should know, as it seems some of your information above is incorrect.

The amount of UCAS points needed (between 300/320) can only come from your first 3 A levels, on first attempt. So this is for example ABB or BBB. If you have applied to Glasgow you may have done other qualifications (not A levels) and the exact qualifications UCAS points can be taken from is detailed on the Deloitte website. 3 A* at level is equivalent 420 points, so I am not sure where your 450 have come from?

These grades are a requirement, but that doesn't guarantee entry, it is only the top candidates in terms of grades mixed with other skills that get the job. It is extremely competitive, and all Corporate Finance places are almost gone, so it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get on to that this year.

However I am in Audit, I joined the firm in September after finishing Sixth Form, and I certainly think its worth it. The Bright Start scheme is 5 years long, and at the end you come out with the ACA qualification. If you went to uni it would take at least 6 years, assuming 3 years at uni and then 3 years in Grad scheme. Also the fact that you would not be at all in Debt, and earning a competitive salary would be a bonus.

If I had to go through it all again, I would still choose BrightStart 100x over University. I was the same as you, and not that interested in the university experience. I enjoy working, and I like doing something different every day which is exactly what Audit is like within Deloitte.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions I will do my best to get back to you soon.
Reply 2
Original post by evlyd
Hiya,

I actually currently work for Deloitte and there are a few things you should know, as it seems some of your information above is incorrect.

The amount of UCAS points needed (between 300/320) can only come from your first 3 A levels, on first attempt. So this is for example ABB or BBB. If you have applied to Glasgow you may have done other qualifications (not A levels) and the exact qualifications UCAS points can be taken from is detailed on the Deloitte website. 3 A* at level is equivalent 420 points, so I am not sure where your 450 have come from?

These grades are a requirement, but that doesn't guarantee entry, it is only the top candidates in terms of grades mixed with other skills that get the job. It is extremely competitive, and all Corporate Finance places are almost gone, so it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get on to that this year.

However I am in Audit, I joined the firm in September after finishing Sixth Form, and I certainly think its worth it. The Bright Start scheme is 5 years long, and at the end you come out with the ACA qualification. If you went to uni it would take at least 6 years, assuming 3 years at uni and then 3 years in Grad scheme. Also the fact that you would not be at all in Debt, and earning a competitive salary would be a bonus.

If I had to go through it all again, I would still choose BrightStart 100x over University. I was the same as you, and not that interested in the university experience. I enjoy working, and I like doing something different every day which is exactly what Audit is like within Deloitte.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions I will do my best to get back to you soon.

Hi,

I've applied to the Brighstart programme and just stumbled on this thread and am really interested to know if your salary matches that of a graduate. Also after the five years if you were to move to another company for e.g. KPMG would you still be treated like a graduate in terms of pay or will you be expecting to be offered a less amount?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest